When to fit the pin?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thread sidetrack.
Please forgive me.

More than any other joint screw, pin. WHATEVER
Uni loc quick realease is the most effected by dirt.
Please POLISH them, just bot the part that glues in. Most screws we buy are tumble polished only. It's ok but has a lot of flaws.

IMG_240620_095005.jpg

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although the pin in Joe cue is not shiny, he has taken the crests off the top of the part generated from the manufacturing process. It is evident by the cross hatch pattern seen on the pin part. Often it is the crests from the way it was made, that can cause parts to have issues when being assembled. The rumbling does not remove all these little crests, but does reduce the amplitude of them for a production part. Fine wet dry paper or lapping or external honing, is the best way to remove these crests on a pin or shaft, and honing or lapping is the best way for removing them from a bore.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My thread sidetrack.
Please forgive me.

More than any other joint screw, pin. WHATEVER
Uni loc quick realease is the most effected by dirt.
Please POLISH them, just bot the part that glues in. Most screws we buy are tumble polished only. It's ok but has a lot of flaws.

View attachment 558712

Damn!
That looks so good, a meth user wouldn't touch it now. :D
Shame on UniLoc for subcontracting their screws to another company who doesn't polish the screws right.
They need to make their inserts longer too.
Imo, the screw has way too long of a barrel too.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn!
That looks so good, a meth user wouldn't touch it now. :D
Shame on UniLoc for subcontracting their screws to another company who doesn't polish the screws right.
They need to make their inserts longer too.
Imo, the screw has way too long of a barrel too.

No argument here. It's normal business for tumbler polishers to be used. Even your guy uses one. Farming out after protypes are made have also become normal business. The brass insert o.d. thread, I gave up arguing about. We work with wood, they should be a 7/16/x14 thread not the fine thread. Polishing myself has just become 2nd nature to me as well as i.d. threading and polishing my brass inserts.

IMG_180920_185604_resized.jpg