Had a great time at goodtimez billiards Huntsville al,.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to comment on the venue etc. because obviously I don't know it (other side of the Atlantic). But I can comment on not playing pros. I have from time to time played against, usually not upper echelon pros, but players that are as close as you can get. It's always interesting. The problem is: I'm not made of money. I can't play for money I don't have, and getting your brains beaten in over and over really isn't going to help me as much as focused practise. For a couple of hours worth of "cheap lessons" at the hands of a hustler, I could easily get the same amount of time of someone watching my game and helping me improve. I play tournaments against these people, it's better value.

I'd much rather pay for lessons, than playing with someone who's interest is in keeping in the dark as much as possible. The better you get, the truer that is. They'lll happily throw a c player a bone, but if they think you are, or might become a threat, they clam up really fast. And seriously, why pay top dollar for dry bones, when you can get a full meal for the same price?

For instance I played with a former snooker pro, when I was still fairly green at snooker. This guy doesn't give pointers, but he'll play with people, sometimes for free. It was awesome at first, but really, picking balls out the pockets eventually gets old. He didn't want to tell me anything and he kept making every ball. At that time, I didn't have the knowledge needed to benefit from watching him, either. At one time I played him for about 3 solid hours and never had a shot at anything and I don't think he missed a single ball. It was completely demoralizing. I'm much better at observing now, then I was back then, but still you can't expect people to magically pick up tips from watching this sort of thing. If that was the case, you'd be a pro from watching tv. About the only difference was that I picked up the balls, apart from that it was much like watching tv.

Seriously, only pool has this obsession with playing players far superior to yourself Would you put a beginner or even a weekend player up against a tennis pro? What can possibly be learned from not being able to return a single serve? If you can't run out regularly and easily, you are far better served to take lessons. If you are close to equally good, occational sparring will tell you where you are. Take that info and practise.

I understand and agree with most of what you say.

I was not speaking of c and b plwyers.

I know way to many "A" players from Huntsville, Decatur, Birmingham, Nashville etc.... that crap themselves at the thought of not having the nuts when gambling in general.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to comment on the venue etc. because obviously I don't know it (other side of the Atlantic). But I can comment on not playing pros. I have from time to time played against, usually not upper echelon pros, but players that are as close as you can get. It's always interesting. The problem is: I'm not made of money. I can't play for money I don't have, and getting your brains beaten in over and over really isn't going to help me as much as focused practise. For a couple of hours worth of "cheap lessons" at the hands of a hustler, I could easily get the same amount of time of someone watching my game and helping me improve. I play tournaments against these people, it's better value.

I'd much rather pay for lessons, than playing with someone who's interest is in keeping in the dark as much as possible. The better you get, the truer that is. They'lll happily throw a c player a bone, but if they think you are, or might become a threat, they clam up really fast. And seriously, why pay top dollar for dry bones, when you can get a full meal for the same price?

For instance I played with a former snooker pro, when I was still fairly green at snooker. This guy doesn't give pointers, but he'll play with people, sometimes for free. It was awesome at first, but really, picking balls out the pockets eventually gets old. He didn't want to tell me anything and he kept making every ball. At that time, I didn't have the knowledge needed to benefit from watching him, either. At one time I played him for about 3 solid hours and never had a shot at anything and I don't think he missed a single ball. It was completely demoralizing. I'm much better at observing now, then I was back then, but still you can't expect people to magically pick up tips from watching this sort of thing. If that was the case, you'd be a pro from watching tv. About the only difference was that I picked up the balls, apart from that it was much like watching tv.

Seriously, only pool has this obsession with playing players far superior to yourself Would you put a beginner or even a weekend player up against a tennis pro? What can possibly be learned from not being able to return a single serve? If you can't run out regularly and easily, you are far better served to take lessons. If you are close to equally good, occational sparring will tell you where you are. Take that info and practise.

There’s such a big difference in different pool games that lessons are good for fundamentals but there so much to learn in 1P that action is a great way learn.

Back in the day when I could play some I hated 1P. After getting burned out on 9 ball and a shoulder injury,when I got back into the game I just wasn’t the same so I started playing 1P. There were a few guys around that would play me even 1P for $5 a game just so I could learn. I’ll play anyone for $5 just to play. I have a job so I don’t need to steal someone’s money. I consider cheap action Ike lessons wether I’m on the receiving or giving end. SVB, Freezer, Efren, and a few other top pros, played me for $20 a game with small spots. After it was over I thanked them for the lessons:)

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
There’s such a big difference in different pool games that lessons are good for fundamentals but there so much to learn in 1P that action is a great way learn.

Back in the day when I could play some I hated 1P. After getting burned out on 9 ball and a shoulder injury,when I got back into the game I just wasn’t the same so I started playing 1P. There were a few guys around that would play me even 1P for $5 a game just so I could learn. I’ll play anyone for $5 just to play. I have a job so I don’t need to steal someone’s money. I consider cheap action Ike lessons wether I’m on the receiving or giving end. SVB, Freezer, Efren, and a few other top pros, played me for $20 a game with small spots. After it was over I thanked them for the lessons:)

An effect of our sport being somewhat in the tank is that we can get cheap games with some of the sports biggest stars, and so why not take advantage if that oppty presents itself?

As for whether or not some amateur players will step up to play pro players for a c-note or more, I guess that would be up to them how they feel about making a donation just to see how they do against a big gun. Everyone's financial situation is different and added to that, everyone is entitled to have a different outlook on it.

For instance, I like to gamble where both sides have a genuine shot at the cash. Me playing Warren Kiamco or Josh Roberts even wouldn't be gambling - it's a donation, therefore I have to decide if the entertainment is worth the price of admission.

Not being interested in that game sure doesn't make me a nit, I don't believe.

best,
brian kc

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An effect of our sport being somewhat in the tank is that we can get cheap games with some of the sports biggest stars, and so why not take advantage if that oppty presents itself?

As for whether or not some amateur players will step up to play pro players for a c-note or more, I guess that would be up to them how they feel about making a donation just to see how they do against a big gun. Everyone's financial situation is different and added to that, everyone is entitled to have a different outlook on it.

For instance, I like to gamble where both sides have a genuine shot at the cash. Me playing Warren Kiamco or Josh Roberts even wouldn't be gambling - it's a donation, therefore I have to decide if the entertainment is worth the price of admission.

Not being interested in that game sure doesn't make me a nit, I don't believe.

best,
brian kc

I don't know your speed but I do understand what your saying.

In my OP, the amateurs I speak of are weak to strong "A" speed players. They know who they are.

Its them I believe should be stepping up from time to time instead of going back and forth from Huntsville, Decatur, Birmingham and Nashville looking for the nuts.

I will not mention names but two specific people come to mind.

Example:

Monthly tournaments in said cities, they show up just like myself. But, unlike some they walk around barking at b and c players telling them to play up to get better.

Well, why don't they play up? Practice what they preach. I can't speak for all of them but I know without a doubt some are spineless.

Bottom line:

I'm no pro, but I am somewhere in between pro and strong amateurs. I can't get better playing other amateurs in general so anytime a true pro is in my backyard I'm gonna step up to the table and play/learn ...... win / lose. Cheap? Yes, as cheap as they are willing to play.

Then again, I come home with more cash than I left with "this time" lol... usually not with the pros.

Sometimes a pro will underestimate an amateur and lose a set before they realize it. Not often but it happened a few times this past week.

Rake

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
There was actually more pro players than amateur players in the room most of the time.

Cheap action was plentiful at $100 to $200 a set, as well as 5k to 10k sets.

I didn't play 5k or 10k sets lol... but I played several pros cheap sets everyday after their last tournament match for the day.

Played sets with Danny Smith, Josh Robert's, Casper, Hennessy and Warren. I lost some and won some.

I was extremely happy with my game. I had a ball. Made a few bucks and some friends.

Danny, Josh, Casper and Warren alike, are good players and good guys to be around.

For the life of me, I don't understand why other amateur players local to Huntsville did not show up to gamble with them.

They will play cheap sets as long as no spot is given.

I just don't understand why people don't feel the need to "man up" and see how they stack up to some of the pros when the opportunity is there in your backyard.

I only saw two other amateurs gambling with them. I don't get it.

What kills me is..... lol..... a week later, some of the locals will fall right back into their "I can't get a game".

"I can't get a game", lol.... translated is "I can't get an easy game".

Some of the guilty party are azb. Members, you know who you are.

Anyways, a big thank you for the streaming and goodtimez billiards for making it possible.

Again, folks.... when pros are in your backyard why not give it a go?

By doing so, you may actually learn something about yourself and your game.

Rake
I like your style.

Measureman will go on record to all of AZB.
I am not a scared rabbit.
I will play anyone any game for $5.00.
Meet me at Felts in Englewood,Co if you dare!
Haha love it!

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
There is a huge difference between being a good match maker vs being scared to death of a grinding set where you have to watch each and every single shot.

Abso f'ing lutely, Rake. I was agreeing with you. I've seen so many players *****ing about not being able to get a game when they won't *play* unless they have a mortal lock. And that ain't gambling... it's lock-smith-ery.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Abso f'ing lutely, Rake. I was agreeing with you. I've seen so many players *****ing about not being able to get a game when they won't *play* unless they have a mortal lock. And that ain't gambling... it's lock-smith-ery.
No doubt. Trying to gain some advantage is the art of matchin' up but often this "art" becomes nothing more than out-n-out nut-hunting. The certified NH soon gets a rep for this and often is avoided like the plague. As he should.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was actually more pro players than amateur players in the room most of the time.

Cheap action was plentiful at $100 to $200 a set, as well as 5k to 10k sets.

I didn't play 5k or 10k sets lol... but I played several pros cheap sets everyday after their last tournament match for the day.

Played sets with Danny Smith, Josh Robert's, Casper, Hennessy and Warren. I lost some and won some.

I was extremely happy with my game. I had a ball. Made a few bucks and some friends.

Danny, Josh, Casper and Warren alike, are good players and good guys to be around.

For the life of me, I don't understand why other amateur players local to Huntsville did not show up to gamble with them.

They will play cheap sets as long as no spot is given.

I just don't understand why people don't feel the need to "man up" and see how they stack up to some of the pros when the opportunity is there in your backyard.

I only saw two other amateurs gambling with them. I don't get it.

What kills me is..... lol..... a week later, some of the locals will fall right back into their "I can't get a game".

"I can't get a game", lol.... translated is "I can't get an easy game".

Some of the guilty party are azb. Members, you know who you are.

Anyways, a big thank you for the streaming and goodtimez billiards for making it possible.

Again, folks.... when pros are in your backyard why not give it a go?

By doing so, you may actually learn something about yourself and your game.

Rake

Sounds like fun bud I'm coming through that area to get this last bit of summer camping, fishing and mountain biking in before winter . Like playing strangers so what city ,and poolroom ? I'm trying to follow the sunshine and poolroom map for 3 weeks so let's play some 200$ sets of nineball and some 200$ one pocket . PM me guys I'm coming from Texas to Florida then to Chicago in 3 weeks so give me Pool rooms and days . Thanks and c yall soon

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
No doubt. Trying to gain some advantage is the art of matchin' up but often this "art" becomes nothing more than out-n-out nut-hunting. The certified NH soon gets a rep for this and often is avoided like the plague. As he should.

fgaegeopy.jpg

:grin: :D :grin:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like fun bud I'm coming through that area to get this last bit of summer camping, fishing and mountain biking in before winter . Like playing strangers so what city ,and poolroom ? I'm trying to follow the sunshine and poolroom map for 3 weeks so let's play some 200$ sets of nineball and some 200$ one pocket . PM me guys I'm coming from Texas to Florida then to Chicago in 3 weeks so give me Pool rooms and days . Thanks and c yall soon

Leaving tomorrow and traveling for 3 weeks is what I meant and no schedule just following the sun ☀️ 😎💯🚴🏼🎣⛺🎱💰😀