Dumbest loss stories

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 or 5 of us are playing a cheap ring game of 10 ball. 1 point for the 5 and 1 pount for the 10. Balls made warly get respotted. First to 10 but have to win by 2. If tied on 9, or more the end of a game, new game dbl the money.
We are in a game for 3× the orig. Bet. I am on 9 tied with another player and I have a easy combo on the 8-10. 8 will be straight in for next shot. 9 is hangung in the side,and my spotted 10, I win!
I slow rolled the combo as we are playing on a triple shimmed "GAFF" table. 10 rolls up and hits the point. Guy following me runs out, since 2 of us are tied, new game. 20 a man is now 80 a man.
I get to 9 , closest guy is on 5, he follows me qnd I am breaking. Scratch on the break and leave the 1 hanging in the side-10 hanging in the corner same rail as the 1. Made the 5 on the break so it spots.
Bang guy guy makes 1 and 10 and and the 5! 5 and 10 spot up. He has no pocket for the 2 so he blasts them and sh47s the 5 and 10 both in. They spot up and he runs out. Final him a winning 11:rolleyes:

Yes I have dropped whitey into the cluster.
Tapped the cue ball shooting a gimme 8 in league trnmnt running out a Unbelievable mess for what should have been a 10 zip.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 in 1 month: played and made the 8 Ball before finishing my last solid ball..........played and made the 8 ball with my opponents stripe ball. Both misplays were late in a 4 hour run of games.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
My teammate was on the 8, his opponent safeties him. Instead of shooting he gives the guy ball in hand, by picking up the cue ball and saying ball in hand and dropping it in a pocket. His opponent informed him he just scratched on the 8 ball, loss of game.

It wasn't a scratch. The moment he picked up the cue ball it was a foul. Unsportsmanlike foul perhaps, but if it wasn't his second or third, the game was not over at that point.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I was playing a friend of mine's son in a local 8-ball tournament about eight years ago. It was hill-hill with him breaking in the finals. He made a ball on the break and ran the table...but scratched on the 8-ball.

Sure glad that wasn't me.

Maniac (sure was some ugly cheese)

Last edited:

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in a BCA league 20 years or so ago. The other team had a player in his mid 60's and he was my opponent and he was breaking.

The guy was a very poor player with a 2 or 3 average. He was very nervous and as he got ready to break the balls, he stroked, hit the edge of the cue ball and miscued.
I gave the cue ball to him and said "go ahead and break".

He broke and made a ball. His choice of balls had several tied up. As he made a ball, he cue ball would beak up one of his problems.

Long story short-he broke and ran. He jumped up and down and high fived his team mates. Had never broke and ran before in League and never did it again. I am proud to be able to raise the level of my opponent's play!

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I was playing in a BCA league 20 years or so ago. The other team had a player in his mid 60's and he was my opponent and he was breaking.

The guy was a very poor player with a 2 or 3 average. He was very nervous and as he got ready to break the balls, he stroked, hit the edge of the cue ball and miscued.
I gave the cue ball to him and said "go ahead and break".

He broke and made a ball. His choice of balls had several tied up. As he made a ball, he cue ball would beak up one of his problems.

Long story short-he broke and ran. He jumped up and down and high fived his team mates. Had never broke and ran before in League and never did it again. I am proud to be able to raise the level of my opponent's play!

Nice story... you helped make what was probably the hi-light of someone's entire pocket billiard career. Whenever life makes it hard to imagine a laundry-list of things worth waking up in the morning for, you can always reflect back on that and say, yup... that was one of them.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Was playing a 8 ball tournament....Down to final 4....We are down to two ball's each and the 8....I make my next to last ball and scratch....My opponent takes cue ball in hand and starts walking around the table trying to decide which ball to shoot first....As he is walking he is tossing the cue ball up in his had and catching it..All of a sudden the cue ball slips out of his hand, hits the table and runs into 2 balls....Ball in hand for me and I win...

Jeff G. Martin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in our weekly 9-ball tourney last night. If I win this game, I'm in the finals, if I lose I'm out of the tournament. I'm on two fouls when my opponent scratches with the 7,8, and 9 left on the table, all open no trouble.

I placed the cue ball for my shot on the 7. As I am getting down on the shot, my cue stick slips out of my hand, bounces on the table and moves the cue ball. Three fouls, game lost, knocked out of the tournament. My opponent and I both just kind of stared at the table for a moment in disbelief. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before...

What's yours?

This is a very interesting scenario. I say this because when playing by BCAPL rules, your opponent must notify you when you're on two fouls prior to shooting. It seems like something they may forget to mention since you have ball-in-hand with a wide open table.

Were you playing by BCAPL rules? Did they mention that you were on two fouls when your inning started?

JC

Coos Cues
I was playing in our weekly 9-ball tourney last night. If I win this game, I'm in the finals, if I lose I'm out of the tournament. I'm on two fouls when my opponent scratches with the 7,8, and 9 left on the table, all open no trouble.

I placed the cue ball for my shot on the 7. As I am getting down on the shot, my cue stick slips out of my hand, bounces on the table and moves the cue ball. Three fouls, game lost, knocked out of the tournament. My opponent and I both just kind of stared at the table for a moment in disbelief. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before...

What's yours?

I don't think that what you did was a foul under BCA rules. If you hadn't gotten down into your shooting stance and addressed the cue ball in a forward shooting motion yet you are allowed to position the cue ball with ball in hand with any part of your hand or cue including the tip. What happened although an accident would fall under positioning the cue ball, not shooting. As long as the cue ball didn't hit an object ball I believe you could pick it back up and put it where ever you like and carry on.

The dumb loss was from not knowing and understanding the rules, not from dropping your stick.

JC

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that what you did was a foul under BCA rules. If you hadn't gotten down into your shooting stance and addressed the cue ball in a forward shooting motion yet you are allowed to position the cue ball with ball in hand with any part of your hand or cue including the tip. What happened although an accident would fall under positioning the cue ball, not shooting. As long as the cue ball didn't hit an object ball I believe you could pick it back up and put it where ever you like and carry on.

The dumb loss was from not knowing and understanding the rules, not from dropping your stick.

JC

"As I am getting down on the shot, my cue stick slips..." What are you going to argue "I was only 3/4 down and was trying to reposition the CB anyway" Take the loss, you deserve it.

JC

Coos Cues
"As I am getting down on the shot, my cue stick slips..." What are you going to argue "I was only 3/4 down and was trying to reposition the CB anyway" Take the loss, you deserve it.

I'm not going to "argue" anything. There is no need to, the rule is clear.

JC

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had just gotten a butt extension for my cue. Had a shot I couldn't reach. Great, get to try my new extension. Put it on and go over to my shot. Proceed to bring the shaft straight down onto the cue ball. Didn't account for my cue being 8 inches longer. Gave away BIH and lost that game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Had just gotten a butt extension for my cue. Had a shot I couldn't reach. Great, get to try my new extension. Put it on and go over to my shot. Proceed to bring the shaft straight down onto the cue ball. Didn't account for my cue being 8 inches longer. Gave away BIH and lost that game.

I had two snooker cues when I played that game a lot.
...I usually used the light one....it was 57 inches.
My heavy one was 57.5 inches....usually fouled the cue ball in my first few shots.
.....it cost me a few games.
:banghead:

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very interesting scenario. I say this because when playing by BCAPL rules, your opponent must notify you when you're on two fouls prior to shooting. It seems like something they may forget to mention since you have ball-in-hand with a wide open table.

Were you playing by BCAPL rules? Did they mention that you were on two fouls when your inning started?
My opponent had told me I was on two fouls after I fouled the second time. I know it isn't the letter of the rule (they are supposed to tell you when you come to the table) but he met the spirit of the rule so I didn't argue.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JC

I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation (or your characterization that I don't know the rules). What if I had miscued instead, are you suggesting that wouldn't count as a foul? My intention was not to position the cue ball, I was obviously addressing the shot. While some people may try to make excuses and argue the point, I knew what my intent was and my integrity is more important to me than that.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A well known one pocket player came to a town I used to play in .
He had a backer.
He starts playing one of the locals giving him 10 to 6 which should have been a heist. The local guy cut balls like a meat slicer, but had almost no moving game.
Especially vs someone like this guy
They are playing for 100 a game and local guy is being backed by a guy with very short finances.
As soon as the first game starts , the road players backer goes a couple tables down and gets in some real cheap action.
After the first game, the local guy loses and his backer says I'm out.
Neither the road player or his backer must have heard it, and they just go ahead and play game 2 with zero chance of being paid.
Well , road player gets about 7 or 8 balls in front of his pocket and leaves a slice and dice and local guy runs out.
His backer jumps up and collects the hundred.
This exact scenario happens again 16 more times and Road man has to quit.
If that wasn't 2 of the dumbest people, I ever saw on the road , I can't say who was.
The same player comes back to town with someone else and beats a local out of 1100 cash and gets paid every penny , he then asks if the guy plays gin, he does and they go play gin. local wins 800 off him and he says he has no money and doesn't pay 1 red cent.
The nutty part is, that I would bet 1000.00 to a stale donut ,that the player thinks he did nothing wrong in the matter.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Playing in a big regional 8 ball event in Colorado, and I had beaten the tournament favorite first round, but lost a different match, and was working my way through the loser's side.

Hill-hill in a match on the loser's side, and opponent had committed a foul, and I had a very difficult table to deal with. Couldn't quite figure out how to work the table, and ended up momentarily placing the CB down on the table, whilst staring hard at the layout.. Finally came up with a plan, and reached down to pick up the CB.. Only, it wasn't the CB, it was the 1 ball!!

Ball in hand for my opponent, and he runs out for the win, knocking me out of the tournament in something like 3rd/4th place.

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
I am going in halves with my buddy for $500 a set, nine ball race to nine. He is a very good A player and is winning 8 to 7. He is straight in on the 8 ball, just needs to stop his ball and make the nine hanging in the hole. As he is walking up to the table he trips and a piece of chalk he has in his hand drops hits the rail and shoots straight out and hits the cue ball in the middle of the table. His opponent easily wins the game and breaks and runs the hill / hill game to win the set.