Playing with a glove

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried a couple of times to play with a glove. I like the smoothness, but the fabric seam on my palm irritates me and I end up taking it off. Most recently (this week) I tried playing with a Vapor glove but it has the same problem.

Has anyone tried the unglove? What other alternatives should I try?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried a couple of times to play with a glove. I like the smoothness, but the fabric seam on my palm irritates me and I end up taking it off. Most recently (this week) I tried playing with a Vapor glove but it has the same problem.

Has anyone tried the unglove? What other alternatives should I try?
The finger wraps, available through Seyberts, offer a nice compromise. Your fingertips and palm are not covered up, but the wrap which just partially covers your index finger, middle finger and thumb contact all areas of the shaft whether you use an open or closed bridge. I've switched from playing with a glove to a finger wrap and love it!

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had some cheap gloves. Bought the kamui glove and it’s my favorite. Just find what you’re happiest with and don’t listen to anyone else! (Except that)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen someone with one of those finger wraps and they seem to like it. I have a Predator glove and it started wearing holes in the palm within a couple weeks. The lack of durability in gloves has always been a problem.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Never wore a glove … then started and liked the smoothness/consistency. On a lark I bought the finger sleeves (unglove) and it has won me over. Best of both worlds. Like not wearing a glove but with the smoothness a glove offers. I highly recommend them.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glove

I used to be dead set against them. I put one on and kept it on until I got used to it. Now, I feel weird shooting without it. I think I shoot better and smoother with it.

And for the record, I use some cheap one i found on Amazon. i think it was $15 for a 6 pack of them. They do wear out but I just buy more and throw them away when they start to get funky.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of all I've tried this one is the best for the money paid https://m.ebay.com/itm/Light-Blue-P...022325?hash=item46840af8f5:g:yX0AAOSwPFFbhtc2. I really like it very much.
After some good reviews for the fingerwraps I was very curious and decided to give it a try but I did not like it much. Firstly it takes some patience to check it when it's off mostly off the thumb every now and then . Second, it definitely did not provide same smoothness as the glove mostly because the area between a thumb and index finger is not covered but that was my experience. When I use a glove it does not take any attention because it's somehow off the hand or any problems with smoothness. Third thing, comparing the prices for the glove I've liked and fingerwraps (I've paid 16$ with free shipping for a pair of gloves and 10$ + shipping for fingerwraps) with the glove I've got much more for the money but that is my experience and opinion.:thumbup:

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF! I was 25 years early to the party. I used to wear the sir joseph gloves back when I started playing and everyone used to look at me like I was retarded, even as I was running them off of the table. I loved using them but I wore through the fingertips too fast and couldn't afford to keep buying them, so I just learned to shoot without them. Now I see even some of the top players in the world wearing gloves. I've been tempted to try one out after all this time, but I don't because it just doesn't feel necessary for me anymore. But I certainly remember what the advantages of wearing them are.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member

Those are OK, just a little thick. They have an inner layer, and the material is soft, but won't last as long and not as "slippery" as this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UnGlove-Fi...852495?hash=item1caff0688f:g:AbQAAOSwCU1Yw0wD

These are thin, similar to the spandex type material.

I've used pretty much all of them over the years, and the Unglove seems to last the longest... I've also started to notice these, which may be an option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Stretc...423319?hash=item1ca4782c17:g:WVgAAOSwDTNap23R

Those look like the thicker material.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had some cheap gloves. Bought the kamui glove and it’s my favorite. Just find what you’re happiest with and don’t listen to anyone else! (Except that)

Nah...something about you makes me think of Michael Jackson, but that's not it.,

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have tried different gloves, I can't stand any of them. Have you ever watched the videos
dogs wearing shoes? I feel like that. I do however have a Predator glove and a Molineri
glove, both are supposed to be 1/2 fingers, but my hands are small so for me it's like
wearing a glove with just the tips cut off. I need to feel the shaft in my hands, I also can't
wear headphones, I really need to hear the sound around me, the crack of the balls.
If you're having trouble finding a "hand panty" that you can bear maybe you shouldn't
wear one at all and take jealous care of your shaft. A nick or a dent bothers the shit out
of me, so I'm constantly wiping and cleaning, better that than a glove for me. But if you
really feel like you need some sort of contraption for a smoother stroke, I have been to a
few events where a vendor was offering these:
https://billiardengineering.com/the-sleeve-the-technical-side-of-an-amazing-solution/

To be honest, I hated these more than a hand panty, but some people loved them. If
you're handy with a needle and thread at all they look like something that could be done
with a scrap of felt or fleece for a few pennies.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never been comfortable wearing a glove, of any brand/kind.
That said, I do carry one: I have been in tournaments when there were AC issues and/or high humidity in the room/area where something was simply needed and I refuse to use power.
I think everyone should have one in their case, but if I am wearing one, I am already uncomfortable with the conditions so it helps.

If I was dealing with humid conditions or wet hands often, then I would have to learn to get use to a glove...
This isn't an issue for me personally, but I understand why some would prefer to wear a glove in an attempt to keep the stroke conditions consistent regardless of room conditions.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a pair 20 yrs. ago that are no longer available. I have tried several new ones lately, but still none as good. High quality/fit/comfort is an issue, so hope my old ones don’t fall apart. I think ‘Sir Joseph’ was the closest new offering, since they come in an xtra-large size, and the wrist band isn’t very constricting, but still not as comfortable as the old Carl Blakeman gloves.
In a ‘perfect world’, there would be a sink near the table so you could wash your hands frequently, and talc wouldn’t degrade the billiard cloth’s performance (which likely is why there is no longer a push-button talc dispenser found next to every table). So, a good glove that is comfortable & easy to change (you need a spare since they get sweaty) is the next best thing.

Last edited:

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son and I last year went through a bunch including sir joseph and vapor among many others. I stay away from close ended gloves and after several gloves being replaced from being worn or just coming apart, ended up trying a kamui.

For us, the Kamui obviously costs significantly more but we have washed ours at least 10 times over the past 6-8 months and they always come out looking new. No wearing out issues so far but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

We both now have an extra as a back up just in case something ever goes wrong.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a glove by Molinari that has been hard to find. I'm searching for a buddy who uses a glove.

Personally, I work very hard to keep my maple shafts in excellent condition for all my cues and the
shafts are perfectly smooth and glides through your fingers. I actually prefer the feel of a wood shaft
in my bridge hand, maybe since I mainly rely on a closed bridge for the majority of my pool shots.

I tried a glove and it felt odd on my hand and never felt really comfortable. I was adjusting it for
fit during play on and off and it didn't feel as good after a couple of days of play. I'm also not into
flashy designs and all in all, taking it off felt better and I wonder why I ever bothered to try one when
I actually like the feel of a maple shaft moving through my closed bridge fingers & "costs nothing" too.