Suggestions on what to do to improve my play

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure this post has been discussed before, but I wanted some opinions on what I can do to improve my game. Specifically speaking, things such as DVDs, books, or drill exercises that I can look at or purchase that could help me make a jump in my ability. I know my basics and have been playing for about 15 years. I'm a 7 in both 8 and 9 ball APA, but honestly I'm about a C+ to a B- player at best. I play about 4-5 hours a week at most (usually less), so I can't make a huge time commitment as some others can.

Any suggestions on such items would be greatly appreciated.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I'm sure this post has been discussed before, but I wanted some opinions on what I can do to improve my game. Specifically speaking, things such as DVDs, books, or drill exercises that I can look at or purchase that could help me make a jump in my ability. I know my basics and have been playing for about 15 years. I'm a 7 in both 8 and 9 ball APA, but honestly I'm about a C+ to a B- player at best. I play about 4-5 hours a week at most (usually less), so I can't make a huge time commitment as some others can.

My suggestion would be to identify your weak points because some instructional material focuses on diff aspects, some on shot making and
others focus on banking etc......

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have some ideas that have helped me and some may work for you and some may not.

1. Buy your own table. (Not always possible)
2. Start playing other games. One pocket,14:1 and Einstein Nine will strengthen your game and open doors for you.
3. Right angle drill. (over and over and over)
4. Watch the live streams or recorded videos of great players.
Not necessarily the top pros but the regional guys that play just below the world beaters. The best rarely get out of position and can often be boring to watch but the short stops that you see on the streams are entertaining because they make a few mistakes and still get out(these are the ones that I learn the most from).

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
One thing that helps me a little, that I still do from time to time, is to toss all of the balls out on the table and to shoot whatever shots look the most uncomfortable.

Pay attention to how you miss as well. Usually I'll find myself missing shots the same way(over/undercutting), so I'll make minor adjustments to help calibrate the way that I view those shots.

And remember - the shot takes priority over the leave. After you decide on the leave, concentrate on the shot until you have decided without a doubt that you are going to shoot it the way that you want. Many misses can come down to indecision(resulting in steering, etc). Don't be shy about double-checking the angle and distances from the rail, as many shots aren't quite what they appear to be from different angles.

Good luck on working your way up the ladder.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can do all the drills,watch the DVDs,read the books and they will help somewhat.
The best thing do do is take lessons from an instructor or if that's not possible from a very good player.
There are some very little things that good players do that can not be learned except close up and personal.

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice suggestions so far.

What about instructional DVDs/Videos? Something like the new Break and Run DVDs? Anyone try them yet?

Banks

Banned
Nice suggestions so far.

What about instructional DVDs/Videos? Something like the new Break and Run DVDs? Anyone try them yet?

Best bang for your buck, Joe Tucker's 'Racking Secrets'.

What you learn from that DVD you can immediately put into use and see results - especially the 9-ball section. If you're a 7/7, this could give you that extra edge in 9 to move up. Learn how to read a rack, break it with a higher chance of making something and the rest is up to you.

His second DVD, 'Breaking Secrets' also has some more tidbits in it. Some of my friends(APA 4s+) have been surprised by how quickly his information can be put into use. If you plan on getting one of them, start with the first one. If you doubt me, take a search through some threads.. if you can find any reviews to the contrary, I'd be very surprised.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Practice.

Practice what you do not well more, than what you do well.

Realize there are no Magic Cue, Tip, or Chalk. If there were Willie Mosconi would not have been able to accomplish his records.

Spend more time hitting Pool Balls, than talking pool on the NET.

Learn to take responsibility for your mistakes, and do not blame equiptment, or bad rolls. etc for your failures.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

If you are really serious about improving, personally what helped me was to get into games with better players. Tournaments help a lot. It can take awhile and is discouraging at first, but play the best people you can find heads up. Do it for a year or two and believe me, you'll jump.

What happens is when you play better players, their techniques rub off on you mentally, consciously and sub-consciously - and it gives you things to practice. I have found the one-on-one competition is more readily absorbed than just watching people play.

Here is another tip. Work on concentration skills. Plan the whole table and don't shoot any shot until you're 100% zeroed in. Give each shot and each table a respectable effort.

One more - Very few players work hard on their safety game and that is their competitive weakness. KNOW the safety game and skills inside out and your competitive skills will take a huge leap. A skilled defensive player can often beat a "better" player by not giving up easy tables.

Chris

roadwarrior

Registered
Sometimes when i try to practice alone playing 9/10 ball i tend to get bored. will soon realize that i'm no longer focusing on my stance and everything.

If that happens to you, you can simply scatter all the balls and always look for the hardest shot or create your own drills.