does anyone pay the crazy prices for production cues>???

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a new Balabushka in 1973 for $125

my friends thought I over paid

I bought a brand new 1973 cadillac coupe de ville for $7000
my friends congratulated me and had me get them one at the same discount price

Today my Cadillac is worth $125
and my Balabushka is worth around $10,000

i personally think good pool cues,especially custom ones offer you a lot for the money

Now if you are not doing well financially then what you need is more money

I respect that and applaud the fella that works to get ahead putting off luxuries for later

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I can tell you that people pay these large prices every day. Cue companies market to specific customers and dealers who will buy high end, fancy limited series cues.

BUT... If you buy a production cue, do so with the knowledge they will not likely be in high demand on resale. Buy it based on the desire to own it as is, with no concern as to depreciation or ease of resale.

To me the McDermott Masterpiece cues were a prime example of this. They were offered in the 1990's at the height of the collecting craze at $2,000 each. This was not outlandish considering the amount of inlays and so forth, plus it was a package with a special case, joint protectors, etc. It was meant for certain people who wanted a fancy cue and were willing to spend $2,000 - not the $4,000 they would have cost if they were a Tad or Gina.

The problem was they were basically a production cue being sold alongside the $200 McDermott's people were accustomed to. Eventually when the market dried up, these were being dumped (still new) for around $500 on auction sites. So if you bought one with the intention of keeping it for value, good luck.

True collectibles are highly prized, limited works that have a significant collector following, where demand far exceeds supply. Limited supply, and high demand drive price, and the best examples get the best prices. Production cues can be produced to meet demand, driving down the market.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mcdermotts got $1600 cues, pechauer has $2000 cues
sneakys are $350, merry widows are $500

is this predators fault? They seem grossly overpriced

40 years ago custom makers had the edge over production cue makers and that edge made the extra cost for custom cues worth the price.

Nowadays, the production cue companies have a huge edge over 99% of all custom cue makers that IMO make the cost worth it....by far.

Keep in mind that I am talking about playing cues and playability not collecting cues.

Jeff

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
40 years ago custom makers had the edge over production cue makers and that edge made the extra cost for custom cues worth the price.

Nowadays, the production cue companies have a huge edge over 99% of all custom cue makers that IMO make the cost worth it....by far.

Keep in mind that I am talking about playing cues and playability not collecting cues.

Jeff

There are lots of production cues that will play as well as, if not better, than many of the cues put out by high-dollar, well-known makers.

They may not be as pretty, as fancy, or collectible, but they will do you just as well at the table.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are lots of production cues that will play as well as, if not better, than many of the cues put out by high-dollar, well-known makers.

They may not be as pretty, as fancy, or collectible, but they will do you just as well at the table.

Mezz for example. I’ve got several cues from well known cue makers. My Mezz can go up against all of them.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
BUT... If you buy a production cue, do so with the knowledge they will not likely be in high demand on resale. Buy it based on the desire to own it as is, with no concern as to depreciation or ease of resale..

Very well said. :thumbup:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's impossible for a custom cue maker to match a production company dollar for dollar.....cue for cue....and make profit.

Pick a cue from pechauer, mezz, Jacoby, predator etc...etc thats in the price range of $400 and then ask any custom cue maker for the same cue made the same way with the same materials.....and then tell them:

I want it in three weeks with free shipping and a lifetime guarantee....

Most all will laugh and push "end call".....

Jeff

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most production cue lines have an entry level, a standard, maybe US made, level and then various premium shaft cues.

With Viking for example, for $300 you get a basic cue with the premium Vikore shaft. You can spend $1200 for a fancy butt but still the same shaft. The smart money is the cheapest design that has the good shaft.

Sent from the future.

I'd go more sacrasm (sic) and call the customs - even factory cranked ones, MC Escher on a stick. They are often gaudy and are more a tribute to the detailed, meticulousness of the maker. Some have alluded to the functional properties of multiple woods and splicing but I wouldn't know the difference. Shafts; you can at least tell if one's working for you. Most of my cues are 50 dollar rack models from the 90s although I have about 500 bucks in 4 or 5 sneakies.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just bought a $795 Viking and I can not wait to get it

It will be my first

I also have two nice schon cues
NSA Jim sold me a $2300 one with skulls and fancy stuff

I have nothing in the world against production cues

TRIVIA QUESTION

who do you think made and sold the most cues in the world over $2000?

Winner gets a free comic book from me

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
People collect Cues, people collect all sport of thing, who would have thought that a New Covette from the 1960's that went for 2-3K would be worth over 200K today in nice shape.

Supply & dem,and drive prices. Even Edsel's have collector clubs.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last thing I bought was a Valhalla painted/wrapless for around 50 bucks. MIC, dead straight, crappy taper. The taper caused maybe 5% of the total errors. The rest was me.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I hunt and pounce for Ebay deals to fill up my home house cue rack. I have a few hundred in each of these Vikings. The Vikore came that way, a left over new cue I got for $200, the one with Zebrawood inlay I added the shaft but am still all in under $400.
1c221bfe3ac30a054e2cd3349b5d7711.jpg
a4896d311abb8aefe4d3e58b2b1eef00.jpg
6a7519af8e330ba417682bc1ea236018.jpg
59ed74a9f9efc189cf27131a4c85a972.jpg

Sent from the future.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz is the best

Mezz for example. I’ve got several cues from well known cue makers. My Mezz can go up against all of them.

My two most expensive cues are Schons in the $1000-1300 range...but the fit/finish of all 6 of my Mezz cues are the best I've ever experienced--pretty much perfect...so freakin good.

kAFzNFEl.jpg

06tzLNol.jpg

Znb4EyAl.jpg

X47Dv6El.jpg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to buy a production cue and are worried about how they play, just buy a BECUE and get it done with.

They ALL play good.

You don't have to worry, like you do with wooden cues, where one plays good and the other plays mediocre or bad.

They are carbon fiber, so you don't have to worry about warping, dinging (unless you do something drastic), heat, humidity, etc.

You can buy the basic model for less than you pay for brand name custom cues.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The quality of some production cues I've seen recently are absolutely stunning. Yes they're not cheap, but a few companies have really upped their game. So would I pay a grand for a production cue that I really liked? Yes I would... I just did. :smilewinkgrin:

Mezz for one. I will put them up against a lot of cue makers whose cues I own. You can pay for Mezz cues and shafts at different price points. I have a two piece Canadian made house cue that I would put up against a lot of these "custom" cues. Are you paying for the workmanship or the playability?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I got this as a Christmas gift and have been using it. It lists for over a grand and is a solid cue.

I also have a pred Throne. A nice cue indeed. Plays really well and looks hot.

I figure a handmade version of this cue would be double the price

Last edited: