Master instructors, lulz

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My entire body of CTE work falls under the broad heading of CTE PRO ONE.
Within the context of CTE PRO ONE there are four approaches for implementing the same CTE that Hal came to know.
1. Basic Manual CTE
2. Disguised Pivoting
3. PRO ONE
4. One Half Ball Pivoting, Left Side Only....for right handed players, reverse for LHPs

PRO ONE is same CTE as Basic CTE. The difference has to with where and how one’s vision is used for the ultimate goal of resolving center cue ball. Disguised Pivoting and Half Ball Pivoting are also the same CTE.

Stan Shuffett
Stan, it's nice to see you posting instead of Connie, her posting on your behalf and arguing with folks was weird at best.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Think the accrediting body could do more to nip this kinda confusion in the bud.
So, you're proposing that the PBIA decide on The One True Way and demand that all instructors teach only the Way. Seems unlikely. Just look at all the discussion that occurs on AZB about what's important and even what is the physical reality of shots.

As soon as everyone votes for me to take over as the Messiah of The One True Way, I will begin telling you what the Way is.:grin:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, you're proposing that the PBIA decide on The One True Way and demand that all instructors teach only the Way. Seems unlikely. Just look at all the discussion that occurs on AZB about what's important and even what is the physical reality of shots.

As soon as everyone votes for me to take over as the Messiah of The One True Way, I will begin telling you what the Way is.:grin:

LoL @ The one true way, sign me up sir.

So is what Stan said accurate, quoted below if you missed it
I can’t say it any better than Bob Jewett said it many, many months back in the Instructors’ Forum. Bob clearly stated that the CTE that the SPF group teaches (SAM) is not Hal’s CTE. The SPF CTE, according to Bob is standard fractions. Bob went on to say that the SPF version (SAM) was muddying the water.
To imply that my CTE PRO ONE work is just another version of Hal’s CTE is dead wrong. I did not set out 15 years ago to create a version of Hal’s CTE. I set out to solve HAL’s CTE and have done just that. My Truth Series will bear it all out. Hal confirmed directly to Dave Segal that I had indeed figured out Hal’s system, the basic framework, many years ago. The details are now filled in.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will have to point me to the post I may have made.

Well, that will be on Stan, as he was referencing something you supposedly said. Do you feel you have to see what you previous said to be able to comment on the differences right now? You either agree or disagree it would seem.

As for the pbia, not sure, but you have three master instructors in the same thread, but apparently not on the same page. With such a small amount of pbia master instructors, seems they could get it figured out, apparently not though.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My solution, solve this like pool players, settle it on the table. No asking for spots, spot got hit by a car.

Winner teaches their version of CTE, the others start calling their version of CTE something else.

Problem solved.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that will be on Stan, as he was referencing something you supposedly said. Do you feel you have to see what you previous said to be able to comment on the differences right now? You either agree or disagree it would seem.

As for the pbia, not sure, but you have three master instructors in the same thread, but apparently not on the same page. With such a small amount of pbia master instructors, seems they could get it figured out, apparently not though.

My CTE PRO ONE TRUTH SERIES and CTE PRO ONE book will go a long way toward my goal of standardizing Hal’s CTE.

In about 2008 or 2009 Hal asked me NOT to refer to my work as being his CTE until I figured it all out.When I combined Hal’s sighting info with his aiming info in 2010, that action represented the very first time that Hal’s CTE had been properly framed up. I have been working to fill in all of the details ever since. My TRUTH SERIES will once again present the proper framework, but this time with all of the details that have proven to be so elusive.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
My Problem with Scott Lee

I've had instruction from Scott Lee a PBIA Master Instructor. I definitely had a problem with it.

My problem was I needed much more instruction from Scott and didn't completely understand why. I do now. No matter how good you get, the fundamentals will bite you in the ass if you are not rock solid, especially under pressure. Scott teaches you what you need to learn. Time and distance separated us but I wish I could spend more time with him.

My own exploits in the APA after teaching SL 3's how to aim: It is so frustrating, I can understand why they would use any system to try to teach someone to aim. I don't subscribe to CTE but some people seem to need something like that because they have no other way of visualizing the shot.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t say it any better than Bob Jewett said it many, many months back in the Instructors’ Forum. Bob clearly stated that the CTE that the SPF group teaches (SAM) is not Hal’s CTE. The SPF CTE, according to Bob is standard fractions. Bob went on to say that the SPF version (SAM) was muddying the water.
To imply that my CTE PRO ONE work is just another version of Hal’s CTE is dead wrong. I did not set out 15 years ago to create a version of Hal’s CTE. I set out to solve HAL’s CTE and have done just that. My Truth Series will bear it all out. Hal confirmed directly to Dave Segal that I had indeed figured out Hal’s system, the basic framework, many years ago. The details are now filled in.

Stan Shuffett

Foresure.
S.A.M is Fractional aiming. Never claimed it was CTE....NEVER!
Muddy Waters.....great group.
randyg

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have been teaching CTE 30 years, is that correct Randy? But that CTE isn't the same as Stans CTE pro 1, and its not S.A.M. either, is that correct?

What does the SPF Group teach?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excuse me? You talkin' about me? LMAO Geez, ya leave AzB for a couple of days and threads disappear back 4-5 pages. I certainly haven't "disappeared with my tail between my legs". Exactly what is your beef sir?

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

What about the other Master that ducked the bet, demanded the nuts, got the nuts, and disappeared with his tail between his legs?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Fancy aiming systems have very little value or close to zero value compared to spf and learning to visualize the shot.
Mark Wilson has already proven the point.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well staying with your auto mechanic comparison, if I go to three different ase master mechanics, and they all think the vacuum engine timing should be set differently, well that's no bueno, and one of those three settings will work vastly better than the other two.

If I go to a golf pro and ask to learn Moe Normans swing technique, and they teach me a different system which isn't Moe's, but call it Moe's system that's also no bueno.

Think the accrediting body could do more to nip this kinda confusion in the bud.

For certain: Moe's swing and the Single Plane are not quite the same thing.
I studied under three great single plane instructors. All three had different interpetaions of Moe. I still understood were each were going.
I don't always blame instruction. Learning take open minds.

randyg

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have been teaching CTE 30 years, is that correct Randy? But that CTE isn't the same as Stans CTE pro 1, and its not S.A.M. either, is that correct?

What does the SPF Group teach?

Teaching CTE for 30 years....YES.

What Stan teaches I have no idea. I have never been to one of his classes on Pro one. Nor has Stan ever attended one of my classes on CTE.

SAM is Fractional aiming, not CTE.

The SPF Family focuses on rock solid fundamentals and the 3 routines. Speed control and cue ball awareness. Each SPF Instructor teaches their own aiming systems as part of their class. I happen to be able to teach/use about a dozen different aiming systems because I spent a lot of time studing all of them.

I teach alot more AUTO AIM than CTE.

randyg