Opinions On “Cue plays well”

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
There isn’t any single word with a single meaning that exists
as far as I’ve learned in my life.

The word Poontang appears in my Webster's New World Collegiate Dictionary.

If you can give me a double meaning for THAT word then I'll bow down before you. :bow-down:

Maniac

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The word Poontang appears in my Webster's New World Collegiate Dictionary.

If you can give me a double meaning for THAT word then I'll bow down before you. :bow-down:

Maniac

A drink made from the Poon tree :thumbup:
It's also a well known alcoholic mixed drink.

I know clutching at straws

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
FWIW, I hit a rack or two of balls with a friend's cue many years ago (not giving the maker). The first contact on the cue ball I made felt like the ball just exploded off of the tip, similar to a pinball coming off the "flipper" of a pinball machine.

When I was done, I remember how in awe of the way I could get travel from the cue ball with so little effort...and how I wanted to own a cue that felt just like that one.

I haven't found one yet that hit like that one did that evening, but I now own a few that hit pretty close to it.

So....I guess in describing that friend's cue, I could say with little reservation that it "hits a ton" because I felt like I could have moved a 2,000-lb. weight with that cue on that night. :thumbup:

Maniac

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When "I" say a "cue plays well", I mean for "ME", not necessarily YOU, because we all have preferences that may not be the "same".

I think everyone pretty much will agree that the cue has to be "solid", so that is a given.

I like a "quieter" subdued sort of hit, like with a softer tip and a ferrule that doesn't make that "cracking sound" when you hit the cue ball. I can play with those, too, I just don't like them.

For me, I will ONLY say a cue plays well if I can "control the cue ball" with it to MY LIKING.

When I say "control the cue ball", I mean into the object ball and then to where I intend it to go on the table for position, or a safety.

If I can pick up YOUR cue and do that on my first couple of shots like I can with MY CUE, I will say YOUR cue "plays well".

If I can't do the same things with your cue that I can with my cue, then I will say "your cue doesn't play as well as my cue". That doesn't mean there aren't things I could do to make your cue play very similar to mine (change tips, ferrule, weight bolt, etc.).

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
How they play.
The right feel of a cue in your hands, is no different than meeting the right woman.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How they play.
The right feel of a cue in your hands, is no different than meeting the right woman.

I like this answer the best because I have owned dozens of customs from different makers and I really don't have anything bad to say about any of them- and I still have half a dozen customs with me now- but from 2003 till now- 17 years of custom cue buying- my very first one- the Richard Black is still my cue of first choice- because it just feels better in my hands than any other cue. It is the ONE cue I absolutely would not sell under any circumstances.

The terms "hits a ton" etc. etc. should mean nothing to a perspective buyer of a cue- everything about enjoying a particular cue from bumper to tip is subject to the whims of the individual player/owner.

I am old school too- only original maple shafts - and I don't pay any attention to deflection etc. - I pick up my cue of choice that day- and just play- never blamed a miss in my life on one of my custom cues. Look at all the past history greats of this game- those old cues worked great for them. In the end, at its highest levels, the game is all about maintaining timing of stroke at the critical moment of cueball contact most consistently.
That ain't the cue stick- it is the person behind that cue.

Last edited:

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

THere is many great hitting cues, its taper, tip, ferule material, capped, uncapped, cored, wood selection, tip, weight.... These would make milion combinations, just look for a cue that you like, feels great and that makes you play easier and more accurate. Dont worry what others are saying.

I spent lots of money listening to others and rarely I was happy.

Im very impressed with Wes Hunter, Josey, DZ, Jensen, Mezz& regular maple shaft...

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Means you wont sell it to me, you greedy bastard....LOL

You need to share.

Ken
Anytime you come to Birmingham you can play with it. It's still mint condition like I bought it from Rigmaster in Chattanooga about 10 years ago.
Rick made it in 2001and I think he had LBM ferrules. I immediately changed 1 to ivory then later after I knew it was my keeper I had my cue guy install my last Westinghouse micarta, (from Manwon) on the other shaft. I had bee saving that ferrule for the "right" cue.
If you ever come to B'ham, look me up you can play it for the day!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
In your example, it's more like everyone is wrong ;)

Term plays well is like me saying, I love Del Taco, Taco Bell is not as great to me. People opinions are different, like people ideas are different.

If I was to purchase another auto it would not be a Cheverlot, or Ford. It would be a Japanese, or German brand as I like those product more.

in the old days Henry Ford said something about you can have any color you want, as long as it is Black. One choice was only choice at time.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the cue plays good sounds right

I

The cue plays" well "sounds funny

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
come on fellas anything is better than this lame brain thread that has been hashed over and over

Says the guy that just posted the "Which triangle rack is best?" thread. :rolleyes:

It's rare to see something on here that hasn't been discussed somewhere on past threads.

Maniac