Professional Tournament Schedules

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to ask:

Why is every tour in this country compelled to start competitions in the middle of the week so that they end Sunday night instead of starting them at the beginning of a weekend and having it end Tuesday or Wednesday?

I mean, the professional player does not care if it's Monday, Wednesday or Saturday. There is no work-week for them. But the remaining 50-75% of the field that DOES have a job would like it if they could just take a normal weekend and call-in-sick if they make it to the 3rd day. It's just a crummy way to burn up one's vacation time.

I'm just curious if there's some ridiculously obvious logic that I'm missing because every tour does it and there's not a weekend-warrier out there that likes it.

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I'm just curious if there's some ridiculously obvious logic that I'm missing because every tour does it and there's not a weekend-warrier out there that likes it.
I went to a Camel PBT event, back in the late 90's. I was there for the whole thing. The first few days, there were no spectators except me. When the weekend came, there were a lot more. If spectators are more apt to get out on the weekend, they don't want to watch all of the early round losers. They want to see the players that made it to the final rounds.

Tracy

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Assuming you are talking about professional tournaments with admission charges, for spectators, they draw more spectators for the final rounds, on the weekend. More spectators means more profit, or at least more money to meet expenses.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its coz the thought is more spectators will come out for the big matches, being the weeked and all. More participants can come out on the weekend too tho, that needs to be remembered.

Jude Rosenstock said:
I have to ask:

Why is every tour in this country compelled to start competitions in the middle of the week so that they end Sunday night instead of starting them at the beginning of a weekend and having it end Tuesday or Wednesday?

I mean, the professional player does not care if it's Monday, Wednesday or Saturday. There is no work-week for them. But the remaining 50-75% of the field that DOES have a job would like it if they could just take a normal weekend and call-in-sick if they make it to the 3rd day. It's just a crummy way to burn up one's vacation time.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand the spectator argument but I think that may only apply for certain venues. In New York City, for example, the vast-majority of people who come to watch the finals are from New York City. They'll be here on Monday or Friday. The increased turn-out has more to do with the importance of the match rather than the fact it's a weekend.

If you look at other sports such as The World Series, there is no interest whatsoever in having Game 4 on Friday or Tuesday. The way they see it, they're going to get a high turn-out for those games no matter what.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I do understand this principal but where does it come from? Nobody bothers trying it the other way around, EVER.