Broken Revo

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you mean my Revo isn't designed to be slammed hard on the table and not break?? WTF ?? Now I'm pissed..........:angry:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of setbacks, it is clear to me that synthetic shafts are here to stay. They will be better and more affordable. We are in the early stages of development.

Synthetics will eventually provide us a more consistent shaft. It's just a matter of time. The development limit is the return on investment, but the potential is there. If I were investing in cue technology, this is the direction I would go.

They have been making synthetic shafts for yrs ,,only time will tell if they surpass wood but I highly doubt it

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll asd too, that aside from my theory of the foam increasing the rigidity of the CF tube, which would contribute to the catastrophic failure, the shaft broke at the transition from the "parallel" section to the conical section, which acts as a stress riser at that transition. I see this a lot with endmills that have a larger shank than cutting area - the shank tapers toward the flutes, and when the tool breaks, it is amost always at that transition fro flutes to shank taper

My guess is that the main purpose of the foam is sound damping.

Just got notified that my P3 REVO CN has arrived and is ready for pick up...will post pics later.

Well it apparently was in transit to be delivered even though I had instructed not to attempt delivery..
They told me to come back on Monday...BUT I happened to catch the truck just as it was leaving my place. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170120_173450.jpg
    IMG_20170120_173450.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_20170120_173338.jpg
    IMG_20170120_173338.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well it apparently was in transit to be delivered even though I had instructed not to attempt delivery..
They told me to come back on Monday...BUT I happened to catch the truck just as it was leaving my place. :)

Nice...have fun with it.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do know the Joss Northeast 9 ball tour has been running for a couple of decade's don't you? Joss gives each pool room a cue for every single tournament. I don't know what you call it. But that's pretty strong.

Mr. Webb, I do indeed sir and didn't mean to diminish any of Joss's effort's to support pool.

My point was that Predator does a lot. Namely the Predator Tour, APT by Predator Tour, Poison by Predator Tour, the number of pro's sponsored, and the fact that they sponsor the US Open 9-Ball, 8-Ball, and 10-Ball, WPBA,World Pool Series, all Matchroom events plus I'm sure a number of others I'm not familiar with.

This was in response to some of the haters on here bashing a company who actually puts there money where there mouth is when it comes to promoting pool.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Mike Webb = hack
Predator = hack
Fuji-whopper = has been/future hack

Am going to start trying to complete those drills that Darren Appleton keeps posting about on Facebook, if I do get lucky enough to complete one I will definitely get it on tape because noooooobody will believe me ha ha.

Mr. Webb how are you these days? Are you still smoke free for the most part? Always glad to see you're still contributing here and riling things up, like Guy Kawasaki says "don't let the bozos get you down, inoculate yourself from the dangerous bozos".

Neil

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Webb, I do indeed sir and didn't mean to diminish any of Joss's effort's to support pool.

My point was that Predator does a lot. Namely the Predator Tour, APT by Predator Tour, Poison by Predator Tour, the number of pro's sponsored, and the fact that they sponsor the US Open 9-Ball, 8-Ball, and 10-Ball, WPBA,World Pool Series, all Matchroom events plus I'm sure a number of others I'm not familiar with.

This was in response to some of the haters on here bashing a company who actually puts there money where there mouth is when it comes to promoting pool.

At the end of the day, you have to remember. This is an AZ forum and all that goes with it. There is equally positive and negative. Although it seems the negative is winning the past year or so.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Webb = hack
Predator = hack
Fuji-whopper = has been/future hack

Am going to start trying to complete those drills that Darren Appleton keeps posting about on Facebook, if I do get lucky enough to complete one I will definitely get it on tape because noooooobody will believe me ha ha.

Mr. Webb how are you these days? Are you still smoke free for the most part? Always glad to see you're still contributing here and riling things up, like Guy Kawasaki says "don't let the bozos get you down, inoculate yourself from the dangerous bozos".

Neil

They're only dangerous is you drop yourself to their level of ignorance on a regular basis.

PoppaSaun

Banned
I'll asd too, that aside from my theory of the foam increasing the rigidity of the CF tube, which would contribute to the catastrophic failure, the shaft broke at the transition from the "parallel" section to the conical section, which acts as a stress riser at that transition. I see this a lot with endmills that have a larger shank than cutting area - the shank tapers toward the flutes, and when the tool breaks, it is amost always at that transition fro flutes to shank taper

While there is a stress riser in the change from parallel to tapered, it would be extremely small, probably to the point of being inconsequential.

The reason your endmills break where they do is partly about a stress riser (though that plays more of a factor with the fatigue). The main reason endmills break where they do is because of the concentrated bending moment and shear stress at that point. Basically, that point is resolving all of the forces put on the end of the mill and it is the furthest point away from the tip where the cross-section of material is at it's minimum.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are adults here. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion. I enjoy a good debate and just because we don't agree. Doesn't mean that I nor anyone else on here is ignorant. I love this forum and the way we share information. I hope there is never a day that everyone on AZ agrees with one another.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While there is a stress riser in the change from parallel to tapered, it would be extremely small, probably to the point of being inconsequential.

The reason your endmills break where they do is partly about a stress riser (though that plays more of a factor with the fatigue). The main reason endmills break where they do is because of the concentrated bending moment and shear stress at that point. Basically, that point is resolving all of the forces put on the end of the mill and it is the furthest point away from the tip where the cross-section of material is at it's minimum.

That would seem true, but it happens even when the cutting length is pretty minimal. I've used as small as .010" and the cutting length is only about .010" or so, and only going .002" per pass, with air assist. This doesn't happen with ebony, but almost always with rosewoods., where the oil and resins tend to jam up the flutes.

Still, however small that "stress riser" is, I still believe combined with the force at that point and the fact that the CF was not allowed to flex enough to dissipate the force (due to the foam preventing the CF from deforming) is what could have caused the failure.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are adults here. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion. I enjoy a good debate and just because we don't agree. Doesn't mean that I nor anyone else on here is ignorant. I love this forum and the way we share information. I hope there is never a day that everyone on AZ agrees with one another.

Totally agree. But calling this thing a PVC tube filled with foam, or a stock CF tube filled with window sealant, is just a misrepresentation of what the Revo is. I don't have one, wouldn't buy one unless I had disposable income, don't even own anything made by Predator. I'd like to try one out, but I'm afraid I might like it and have to pawn off stuff to get one. But, we can agree to disagree on the Revo's benefits and shortcomings, but it's a bit unproductive to just throw out crazy things about a company's product, simply because of one's hatred for the company.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I know from Fishing Rods, there are different grades of Carbon. And Carbon, Glass Rods. The Hybrids are my choice as they tend to fit into my budget better over Expensive St. Croix and G Loomis.

Even with Fishing Rods, and now, would assume that the Revo would be no different, you may have a small scratch or nick on the rod. You may not be able to detect that, but that is where it will usually break.

How many times has your cues been at the table, in a cue holder, some Drunken Knob goes past and the entire set hits the floor. I have seen Tennons snap, ferrules crack, and tips fly off from the sideways blunt force of hitting a hard surface.

I think most of us are old schoolers, in the respect that Maple has been the choice for many decades of playing. Since the old days of customs to now.

Once we find our magic shaft from playing and testing different diameters, tapers and tip choices, most of us would be reluctant to switch to another material.

Maybe the Revo is good, or will be better at a later date. I am sure that Predator did put them thru stringent testing. Maybe just didn't count on the sideways force that they would be put under by accident.

For the price and my own playing ability, I will stick with Maple. Always been good to me.

BTW, there was one Cue Maker, can't remember his name now, but he was, or had made several Jump Cues from Carbon. At the time, I think that the carbon rods may have been a little cost prohibitive to go further with them, as with price, even back then a few years, there was a limited market for them.

Last edited:

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
To fully appreciate the difficulty of breaking a traditional wooden shaft you need to see the skill put into the task by a top pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_cLjswzJk

Note how he carefully gives the impression he's just nonchalantly walking away from the table with his hands gently resting on the cue whilst in reality he is applying tremendous lateral pressure in a precise geometric pattern. Note also the smooth follow-through after the shaft snaps. ;-)

Unfortunately Mr. Archer is not sponsored by Predator so we probably won't have a chance to see him reproduce this feat with a Revo shaft.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
They're only dangerous is you drop yourself to their level of ignorance on a regular basis.

The old saying is: Never argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level then beat you with experience.

No thank you, I will sit high on the hill with my friend Mike Webb.

Neil

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was able to try one of these a few weeks ago. I've been using Predator shafts for maybe 15 years. The REVO hits well. The quality is superb. The deflection felt about like my 314-2, low but not crazy low like the Z. (Note: A lot of world class players love that Z)

I like a little deflection...plus I like the size and taper of the 314-2 and the REVO felt very similar to that. I picked it up and could immediately, comfortably and confidently run balls - much like with my normal shaft.