Is player A a nit if...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm up $60 bucks and don't like the game, I leave, go get a beer, a burger, and tip my waitress. Call me whatever you want. My belly's full and it didn't "cost" me anything.
I'll be a "nit" for that.

Up but don't like the game.

That has GOT TO BE the definition.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game was over after the 1st win of $20. They negotiated another for $20, then did it again.
Now, at 3 games and $60 ahead the game is over once again. Renegotiate time, could be same game and same amount. Or it may be jumping up & down on a pogo stick for the longest or highest at whatever amount they can agree on!

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the time limit on nitness? If he kept his winnings and they met again next day, a week later, a year later, would he still be a nit if he didn't play for $80?

How long before the money he won becomes his money?

pj
chgo

Becomes his money after they stop playing for whatever reason. After thinking about it, doesn't sound like anyone's a nit..one guy says he'll give the stuck guy a chance to get even so that's not being a nit. Just sounds like he's gonna quit even..who cares small time anyway

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Becomes his money after they stop playing for whatever reason. After thinking about it, doesn't sound like anyone's a nit..one guy says he'll give the stuck guy a chance to get even so that's not being a nit. Just sounds like he's gonna quit even..who cares small time anyway

Point being, people will get a reputation based on the way they act and future matchups will be thusly influenced.

And winning 3@ 20 and then upping the bet to 60 is how big(her) money is won.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A person is a nit, no matter how much
they are up, if they are not willing to
flip me for everything I've lost at the
end of the session.
I thought you wanted to gamble?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I hate that stuff. Maybe it's late at night and I'm tired. I'd tell the guy that I'll keep going $20s until he quits. If he gets back to even then cool.

Pool isn't my job though, so I'm not there to bump up the bet and pay my way through college.

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point being, people will get a reputation based on the way they act and future matchups will be thusly influenced.

And winning 3@ 20 and then upping the bet to 60 is how big(her) money is won.

I agree with you but nits will never know that for the exact reasons nits are what they are!

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he wins 3 sets, $20 a set. Player B wants to play one more set for $80, but A will only play for $60. B calls A a nit.

I think the answer to your question, for me, is no.

Not a nit move.

Not even a close call.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this $20.-$80. is bs. I'll tell you who or what the real nit is.

It's those posters who keep coming back to the same question, day after day and years apart, expecting different answers.

Just like the sun will set in the west there are basic things that are certain.

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the answer to your question, for me, is no.

Not a nit move.

Not even a close call.

You have to be in player B shoes. Yes, player A is trying to mind f... player B in a way because it makes no sense to bet 60 and not 80 which is a move in itself.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being called a nit isn’t about pool. It’s about gambling.

Anyone who is wants to stop before the other person, is unwilling to bet as high as the other person, is unwilling to play the other person, and/or refuses to be a through ticket is fair game to be called a nit.

It’s okay to know your boundaries, be clear and consistent about them, and let a bigger gambler call you a nit. One popular nit adage for this situation is, “You need to win it back the same way you lost it.”

Then again, I don’t gamble for the money. I gamble for the competition. So I’m usually open to letting them try to bite back their losses (at the end). My limiting factor is usually time.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's nit logic.. he's risking 20 to make 140 !

That’s the logic that built Las Vegas!

“I lost it all, but I was up, so I only lost the house’s money”.

Wrong. Once you win it, it’s your money!

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moral of the story, when your playing a nit player beware!

Not so fast....

Here is the math:

Player A agrees to play for 20 a set------ no nit here.

Player A does not quit when up 3 sets--------- no nit here

Player A agrees to play another set for 60--------- no nit here

Player A does not agree to up the bet------ no nit here

If Player A got up 60 and then outright quits and refuses to play more---- that IS a nit move.

I have a question for anyone who thinks A is a nit for not wanting to up the bet.

Would you still consider Player A to be a nit if B wanted to play a set for $800 and
A declined?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to be in player B shoes. Yes, player A is trying to mind f... player B in a way because it makes no sense to bet 60 and not 80 which is a move in itself.

Who would want to put themselves in his shoes?

Sounds like he is a loser who wants to keep doubling the bet until he wins one so he can get even and quit.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, he’s a nit imo. If he said no, I’ll only play for 20 so you have to beat me just like I beat you, then he’s not a nit.

But the fact he was willing to raise the bet substantially from 20 to 60 for one last set, but not go slightly further to 80, so player B has a chance to get ahead, 100% makes player A a nit.

IMO:)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If Player A got up 60 and then outright quits and refuses to play more---- that IS a nit move.
So quitting while you're ahead = being a nit.

Isn't that the point of gambling?

Sounds to me like if I'm a nit, my opponent's a whiner.

pj
chgo

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So quitting while you're ahead = being a nit.

Isn't that the point of gambling?

Sounds to me like if I'm a nit, my opponent's a whiner.

pj
chgo

I think the "point" of gambling is taking an exciting chance of winning or losing.

If the only point was to get the cash then it would be robbing or stealing.

giving someone a chance (if they want it) to get back to even is considered good sportsmanship,,,

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I think the "point" of gambling is taking an exciting chance of winning or losing.

If the only point was to get the cash then it would be robbing or stealing.

giving someone a chance (if they want it) to get back to even is considered good sportsmanship,,,

To what end?

If the down player loses another $80, is it only sporting to play for $140? Then $280?