World Snooker Championships 2020

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
So far Judd and Ronnie

In watching this event my first interest has seeing how the matches would shake out. The first was Williams/Bingham. Lots of interesting matches.

The most impressive play I have seen so far was produced by Ronnie and Judd. The last frame by Judd against Yan was his first century of the match but it was a doozy. One ball hit at light speed rattled 7 times before dropping. I counted 6 but today’s commentators said 7. The only balls I saw Ronnie miss were easy ones that he was on cruise control. He has been putting on a display.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
loved the commentary on the ding match. perfect mixture of analysis and banter. "this is my kind of snooker, dennis. you can keep your 1 hour frames" lol

and i agree, avg frame time 13 minutes, brilliant snooker.

I’m the other way. I like a 45 minute frame with a lot of safety strategy.

Ronnie is brilliant but he often plays too fast for me to assess the table. My favourite match of the tournament has been Robertson vsHawkins.

I’d like to see Hawkins win it all but unlikely. He also needs some points to retain his top 16 ranking.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I’m the other way. I like a 45 minute frame with a lot of safety strategy.

Ronnie is brilliant but he often plays too fast for me to assess the table. My favourite match of the tournament has been Robertson vsHawkins.

I’d like to see Hawkins win it all but unlikely. He also needs some points to retain his top 16 ranking.

The Selby 13-12 victory over Saengkham was also a dandy in the eyes of this fan.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Selby 13-12 victory over Saengkham was also a dandy in the eyes of this fan.

Yes, agree.

I’m referring more to the style of Robertson and Hawkins. I can follow their table strategy. Another player I can follow is Mark
Williams.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard that you can watch it on Matchroom Live, but for the life of me can't find the link. https://matchroom.live/home

I think you have to get DAZN. The qualification rounds were free.

Here is the remaining schedule for today. Starts in an hour and a half, but the scoring takes a few minutes to start after the scheduled match time. I've been watching the live scores while doing other stuff. Go to https://wst.tv/

20 19:00 Anthony McGill 7 -- v -- 8 -- Jamie Clarke
22 19:00 Ding Junhui --- 8 -- v -- 8 -- Ronnie O'Sullivan

McGill and Clarke had some confrontation about being still on the other player's shot. I don't know if they ended the session before 16 games because of that or they were just running late.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Booya ! Robertson through to quarters to play Mark Selby. Go get him, Neil

Ronnie capitalise on early mistakes by Ding to go 2 ahead 10-8 . Ding hit one back to trail 9-10. We have a match
Love these 2. They are the fastest players in the event. First frame was like 9 minutes

rodg11.JPG

McGill and Clarke had some confrontation about being still on the other player's shot. I don't know if they ended the session before 16 games because of that or they were just running late.

That was snooker's equivalent of shark move by Clarke, rare in snooker common in pool :thumbup:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Booya ! Robertson through to quarters to play Mark Selby. Go get him, Neil

Ronnie capitalise on early mistakes by Ding to go 2 ahead 10-8 . Ding hit one back to trail 9-10. We have a match
Love these 2. They are the fastest players in the event. First frame was like 9 minutes

View attachment 554687

That was snooker's equivalent of shark move by Clarke, rare in snooker common in pool :thumbup:
When Ronnie and Ding went to break, I switched and first thing Clarke had a white towel wrapped around his shaft and gently massaging it. When the camera switched to McGill he was indeed shooting towards him. Seems to think he is entitled to shark.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Ding was smiling after the match. He had to know that he played well but Ronnie is just super human.

From the play I have seen so far Judd is the only one with a chance to stop Ronnie.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Upon further review Ding Junhui and Ronnie both seem to be looking at the cue ball when the cue strikes it. Hmmmmmm??????

It did seem odd that the topic came up with the commentators in the Judd vs Yan match.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
He must have brushed the top of the brown with his stick on the wild follow-through. I didn't see the brown move, and neither did the ref, but Liang may have felt the contact.

...and this is why pool will never be snooker. Rare to see a pool player call a foul on himself. Most defend the cheater by stating it's the ref's responsibility to call fouls, but that's just a sad excuse to gain an undeserving upper hand imo.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and this is why pool will never be snooker. Rare to see a pool player call a foul on himself. Most defend the cheater by stating it's the ref's responsibility to call fouls, but that's just a sad excuse to gain an undeserving upper hand imo.

Add a ref on every table, up the $$$, camera capabilities,
public scrutiny, association scrutiny, legal betting on
the sport. You will see many more "honest players"
The game and it's players have little to do with it.

Most of the pool I have watched or played in person,
the players call them on themselves.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Add a ref on every table, up the $$$, camera capabilities,
public scrutiny, association scrutiny, legal betting on
the sport. You will see many more "honest players"
The game and it's players have little to do with it.

Most of the pool I have watched or played in person,
the players call them on themselves.

So the people that play the game have little to do with their own sportsmanship...? Calling a foul on yourself is easy, if your honest. In a sportmanship utopia, you shouldn't even need refs.

I unfortunately have seen enough examples of pinnacle level pool players not calling fouls on themselves and/or cheating to gain an advantage to form an opinion. Not saying it happens constantly. Just not something you see in professional snooker. Most of the time the self called fouls are so tiny in snooker the only one confident that it happened was the offender...lol.

On the game as a whole, I share you opinion. On the professional level there should not be any doubt in honesty. Anything for the win I suppose.

Good topic for another thread.

I've forced myself to wait for Youtube uploads for this year's World Championship. I just can't justify signing up for either a DAZN or vpn subscription for the amount of content I would normally watch. That, and my internet is hit 'n' miss

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played snooker for almost 50 years. Started in The Royal Legions.

It’s an absolute expectation to call a foul on oneself. It’s as integral a part of the culture of snooker. A reflection of one’s integrity which is much more important than winning.

It’s bad form to question any action of the other player. If a rule is to be discussed it’s In the abstract for clarification.

If a player raises an eyebrow, gives a glare, mumbles, it can follow them around for years.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
enjoying the old boys match. mark williams probably has the best temperment in the sport, completely zen. he doesn't care. this match has seen him shooting one handed standing almost upright, sitting on the table shooting dart style with the rest, and the usual leaning over shooting with left hand under right shoulder. leads 6-2 over ronnie

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
enjoying the old boys match. mark williams probably has the best temperment in the sport, completely zen. he doesn't care. this match has seen him shooting one handed standing almost upright, sitting on the table shooting dart style with the rest, and the usual leaning over shooting with left hand under right shoulder. leads 6-2 over ronnie
Same here and after Ronnie managed to come back with the same 6:2 score today when the overall score is 8:8 it's going to be a thrilling evening session to see the winner. Excellent match so far and the semi where Mark Selby is waiting might be like the final.