APA Rule on a tie for first?

bearsafety

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have 8 teams in our session and two of the top four goto regional, and the top of the bottom 4. My question is what happens if the two top teams tie for first, Do they playoff to see who has to goto the playoffs to play the third place winner? - or do they both just goto the regional?

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
Read the APA Team Manual for info on how ties are broken.

In general, a tie between is broken as follows:

a) Between two teams, the team which won the most individual matches during regular session play is the winner.

b) Between multiple teams (3 in this example), start with the two teams that met first in the session. The winner is as determined in (a) above. Next, take that winner and match up with the remaining team. The winner of that matchup is #1, the loser of that matchup is #2, and the loser from the first matchup is #3.

Your mileage may vary.

bearsafety

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read the APA Team Manual for info on how ties are broken.

In general, a tie between is broken as follows:

a) Between two teams, the team which won the most individual matches during regular session play is the winner.

b) Between multiple teams (3 in this example), start with the two teams that met first in the session. The winner is as determined in (a) above. Next, take that winner and match up with the remaining team. The winner of that matchup is #1, the loser of that matchup is #2, and the loser from the first matchup is #3.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks, I dont have a manual.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
But if the 2 teams that tied each other,played each other more then once in the secession and are still tied, it goes by the last meeting of the 2 teams. And the team that took 3 wins.

Vahony

Registered
In the event that the two team played twice and tied it would be the winner of the last match they played against each other.

STICKBNDER

Cajun Transplant
Silver Member
We have 8 teams in our session and two of the top four goto regional, and the top of the bottom 4. My question is what happens if the two top teams tie for first, Do they playoff to see who has to goto the playoffs to play the third place winner? - or do they both just goto the regional?

maybe i am not understanding you, but if the top 2 teams go to regionals, and they are also tied for first, then no matter what they are still 1st and 2nd after a tie breaker. so sounds like they both still go to regionals. why would third place even be in the conversation???