$10,000 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just announced a new challenge open through the end of August, 2020. You have a chance to win lots of money in this "virtual" video-based tournament, where there are no travel costs or entry fees ... only prize money! The BU is offering $10,000 total with a possible top prize of $5000. There is an Open Division for top players and a Junior Division for younger players. There is also a Lottery Division, where anybody can win money, regardless of their playing performance. The BU wants everybody to participate and benefit from this challenge, so please help spread the word. Have fun, and good luck winning some cash!

Here's the challenge website:
And here's a video introduction.

I look forward to seeing lots of AZB user participation. I plan to start practicing and posting soon myself.

Good luck,
Dave

PS: Official entries are due by August 31, 2020.

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the page, but does this not equate to the same thing if a perfect score is achieved?

The $1000 1st place bonus will be awarded to the first person to post the highest score.
The $1500 perfect-score bonus will be paid to the first person to get a score of 100.

Also, to confirm availability of all prizes: EXAM III can be played on a 7, 8, 9 or 10 feet table, but EXAM I is exclusively on a 9 feet table?

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I read the page, but does this not equate to the same thing?

The $1000 1st place bonus will be awarded to the first person to post the highest score.
The $1500 perfect-score bonus will be paid to the first person to get a score of 100.
It is possible (maybe even likely) nobody achieves a perfect score of 100, in which case nobody would get the $1500 bonus. However, the 1st-place finisher will get the $1000 bonus regardless of the score.

To confirm: EXAM III can be played on a 7, 8, 9 or 10 feet table, but EXAM I is exclusively on a 9 feet table?
... except for the "lottery division" of Exam I (scores 50-89), where any table size can be used.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just WOW. I did not even check info yet! will do and will take shot of it!
I'm glad to hear it. I will expect some high scores from you over the next few months. I plan to work at it too and try to post a new PR (which will not be easy ... I worked really hard for that 93 in the past).

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shout out for BOB JEWETT for sponsoring Junior division! :grin-square:
That was a nice addition.

I hope we get lots of junior-division entries. Please help spread the word everybody.

Thanks,
Dave

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a nice addition.

I hope we get lots of junior-division entries. Please help spread the word everybody.

Thanks,
Dave

I will do. I have a lot of Finnish Juniors friends in FB.. :) and basically all serious players from Finland too :)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any recommendations on a tripod to use with a cell phone for these?
I usually use a ladder with a heavy paperweight for my smartphone, but there are many options out there. I'm sure you can find lots with an Internet search. I just did a Google search for "smartphone tripod" and found a lot.

Good luck on the challenges,
Dave

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's safe to say I'd be an unruly student...

explains my exit scores from class.

watched Shane and you give it a go, for little while,

DR. Dave you'd be referred to as the 'runner', a necessity in this meme of contest.

Focusing on the subject, making the objective, press* reset the object,
reset to state (of mind), focus again on the subject and nailing it for a one person showing,
setting and shooting would get the distinguish Non-Darwin award,

I was thinking,

:wink:

* increase difficulty

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's safe to say I'd be an unruly student...
No doubt.

Focusing on the subject, making the objective, press* reset the object, reset to state (of mind), focus again on the subject and nailing it for a one person showing, setting and shooting would get the distinguish Non-Darwin award, I was thinking,
As is often the case, I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Good luck on the Challenge,
Dave

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm saying there is a difference in outcomes if a shooter has a runner chasing balls,
resets and posting scores while the shooter remains more or less in line focusing on the next shot.

vs.
doing it all in one meme.
Just setting the cue down and then picking it up is a careful thought process

oh' no clock? there is a timestamp,
is timeliness an issue,
I'm concerned about the judge, jury and dr.dave on all these unedited submission's of greatness.

Could be a qualifier on ties..

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm saying there is a difference in outcomes if a shooter has a runner chasing balls, resets and posting scores while the shooter remains more or less in line focusing on the next shot.
vs.
doing it all in one meme.
I agree 100%. It is much easier, faster, and less tiring if you have a helper to spot balls and keep score.

oh' no clock? there is a timestamp,
is timeliness an issue,
I'm concerned about the judge, jury and dr.dave on all these unedited submission's of greatness.

Could be a qualifier on ties..
I will only carefully review videos for people in the running for the cash at the end of the contest. Time is not an issue ... I can scrub forward when necessary.

Thanks for the comments and concern,
Dave

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Dr Dave...

I think this is a great & appreciate you doing this... as it will help a lot of people to keep in practice & give them something to do while stuck at home... :) Keep those great video's coming...

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Dr Dave...

I think this is a great & appreciate you doing this... as it will help a lot of people to keep in practice & give them something to do while stuck at home... :) Keep those great video's coming...
Thanks. I hope we get a lot of people participating, especially some pros. I worry that many pros won’t have the ability or desire to record and post videos, but hopefully they know people willing to help them.

Regards,
Dave