Joss "Thor Hammer" break cue review

maidenfreak

Maidenfreak2009
Silver Member
I was lucky enough to get one of the first batches that shipped, thanks to my good friend worktheknight http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=59648

I took the cue out the day I received it to my local watering hole. I had several shooters break with it and all with an exception of one offered to buy it. The cue breaks very solid and consistent on 9 and 10 ball racks and the ferrule/tip combination has a really good pop once shaped appropriately. The cue came with a weight bolt for added weight but I did not install it. I like a lighter breaker and usually make my own but this monster has a permanent home in my case. My applause to Dan for designing an exceptional break cue.

Grapenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was lucky enough to get one of the first batches that shipped, thanks to my good friend worktheknight http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=59648

I took the cue out the day I received it to my local watering hole. I had several shooters break with it and all with an exception of one offered to buy it. The cue breaks very solid and consistent on 9 and 10 ball racks and the ferrule/tip combination has a really good pop once shaped appropriately. The cue came with a weight bolt for added weight but I did not install it. I like a lighter breaker and usually make my own but this monster has a permanent home in my case. My applause to Dan for designing an exceptional break cue.

Got mine today and I concur. Just a great solid feel and enormous power. I went with the heavy version in Purple Heart. Gorgeous.

Nut

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other reviews ? I'm really interested in buying one all ways wondered if Joss would make a break cue.

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
I had several shooters break with it and all with an exception of one offered to buy it.

The cue breaks very solid and consistent on 9 and 10 ball racks and the ferrule/tip combination has a really good pop once shaped appropriately.

The cue came with a weight bolt for added weight but I did not install it. I like a lighter breaker and usually make my own but this monster has a permanent home in my case.

My applause to Dan for designing an exceptional break cue.

I bought them to sell on my website but guys I shoot with in local league and tournaments are buying them.

They work.

I kept a 17 ounce ironwood for myself.

Do not contour the tip, Dan made it the way it is for a reason.

rogerb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received the ironwood / heavy today .. great balance, effortless power , real nice break cue . A definate keeper that will have a home in my case for a long time. Also for the 240.00 it's a steal IMO

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maidenfreak, Just saw this post and appreciate your purchase as always. You indeed were thee first I contacted after I tried the new Joss Thor Hammers. I am now on my fifth batch of selling these cues and not one person has complained. Mr. Dan Janes told me of the extensive trial's they put their idea's through to develop the Thor Hammer. The versions were sent to selective people who just "hammered" the heck out of them. For us guys, it's awesome to see an improvement, but, to really see the difference, put these in hands of the average league female player and you'll see a 20 to 30 percent better break. Not knocking any abilities, but, I have sold 7 of these to gals who have improved their game so much just by getting a solid break with a solid cue. Thanks Again and appreciate the post for the efforts of the Janes family and of course, us fortunate to represent Joss Cues. worktheknight I appreciate it my friend.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I have to ask what the opinions are of the light version compared to the heavy version? For the owners of the new Thor Hammer is yours lighter or heavier than your former break cue? Was your former break cue a dedicated break cue or a jump / break cue?

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's just a process of the cues weight when Joss finishes the cue. If they are a little on the light side, they state it as such and same for cues that finish a little heavier. I'm pretty sure that Dan and Stephen Janes balance these cues out and putting a 3 ounce weight cue in a lighter cue may change that balance point. So, they mark them light weight or heavy weight so you should only have to add / subtract very little for a desired weight. As a post earlier here, a person is using it at 17 something ounce which probably does not even have a weight bolt in it, but, only a small .06 weight bolt gets it up to 18 ounce something. The heavier cues might come out at around 18.5 to 19.5 ounce and same thing applies. It's very hard to get one of these cues to a 21.0 ounce. They other thing that goes with this of course is speed. If your break is not doing much with a heavy cue, go lighter and pick up speed, if you can't swing the cue fast, go heavier for more weight. Either way, make sure you follow through. These Joss Hammers will do a lot for you on their own. There, this has not been a direct quote, but, this is basically the answer Dan Janes gave me when I ordered my first batch of Thor Hammers late last year. I wanted Dan to give me the words himself that I be speakin !!
Hope this helps. In my personal opinion, purple heart is a pretty stiff peice of wood and pick one up in that 19.0 range.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgot, In the Mcdermott Ng-01 & Ng-02, the Gullasy orange crusher & Anvil I was at 20 oz, The Pechauer Break Cue, 20.0 oz. The Schon JB-3. 19.5 (super ultimate jump break cue) at $ 785.00 though.........sold, lol. Went to the Joss and am at 18.8 ounce. For the price, can't beat the Thor Hammer. Also, in my opinion, if you want to spend about $ 375.00, Mike Erwin makes a break cue out of purple heart.......even the shaft is made from purple heart and he puts a white diamond break tip on it. Rings, stitched collars, the works. I would say the Erwin is tops for under $ 400.00, a handmade break cue, hit's a ton. But, close to the Erwin and of course less expensive and darn good is this Thor Hammer.

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
I have had my Thor Hammer for about 2 weeks now. My retired

break/jump cue was a 21oz. My Hammer is the lighter version purpleheart

and yes my break has improved. I'm still not crushing the balls (I lay full

blame on my breaking technique), but the percentage of times I put a ball

in on the break has greatly improved. The cue has a very good well

balanced feel to it. I paid $225 shipped off of Ebay. Happy w/my purchase! :dance:

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had my Thor Hammer for about 2 weeks now. My retired

break/jump cue was a 21oz. My Hammer is the lighter version purpleheart

and yes my break has improved. I'm still not crushing the balls (I lay full

blame on my breaking technique), but the percentage of times I put a ball

in on the break has greatly improved. The cue has a very good well

balanced feel to it. I paid $225 shipped off of Ebay. Happy w/my purchase! :dance:

Where did you buy it? Respond here or by PM if you prefer. Thanks