McDermott Jump Training Ball

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I'm confused.
You have one ordered, should arrive tomorrow or Monday, but want to know if anyone has experience with this?

If you were going to buy it, I could see that, but with it on the way, what is the point?

Anybody have any experience with this? I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about this training aid. I have one ordered, should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

https://www.pooldawg.com/mcdermott-jump-training-ball

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point in asking is to simply get other people's thoughts on it. Just curious what everyone else thinks of it.

r/DCP

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point in asking is to simply get other people's thoughts on it. Just curious what everyone else thinks of it.

r/DCP

It looks like an ultra straightforward product. When you get it, let us know how it helped you, how accurate the points are etc.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
It looks like an ultra straightforward product. When you get it, let us know how it helped you, how accurate the points are etc.

Same opinion. Almost bought one years ago but never pulled the trigger. Good luck with the purchase, hope it helps.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have never used that training ball so i have no comment
there is a training ball that is clear with a red dot at its very center (core)
i could not find a link
that ball was very useful to me to learn how to jump
because it helped me visualize hitting thru the core of the ball

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if you need such a 'training ball', you should spend more time practicing jumping with a regular cue ball first. Then ultimately, you will figure out that this is a waste of $29.

Also, if you need a 'training ball' to learn how to jump, you damn sure arent ready for jump masse shots. They arent needed often, but if you just REALLY want to learn how to jump masse a ball, you will also realize that you dont really need the gimmick ball, and have just wasted $29.

Hope this makes sense.

BTW, is this the only shade of white that the ball is available in? It doesnt look like the best shade to learn how to jump balls with. So once again, it is a waste of $29.

Glad you asked for opinions, and damn glad I could help out. :thumbup:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Save your money
Go up to anybody who jumps and ask for a lesson
Anybody can jump with a dedicated jump cue like aPredator Air.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far the concensus is you wasted 29 dollars.

I am interested in how it works for you. Please post about your fiscal experiment.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jumping & Masse'ing

I'm sure that McDermott spent some time designing their Jump Training Ball. I'd say .. if you buy the ball & learn how to jump real well in a week of effort, it has been money well spent. If you don't learn then maybe a call to McDermott would help.

You might have been successful asking a local player, but then again you might not. But learning to Jump is important, as one bad jump in a game can spoil your attitude & one great Jump, can lift you up, for a Win...

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that McDermott spent some time designing their Jump Training Ball.....

And anything that it can do, can be replicated with any ball with a circle, dot, eye etc.

If you want to get REAL fancy, you can also use an elementary school protractor (or even a free app for your phone) and set up jumps for multiple elevation angles/jump heights.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if you need such a 'training ball', you should spend more time practicing jumping with a regular cue ball first. Then ultimately, you will figure out that this is a waste of $29.

Also, if you need a 'training ball' to learn how to jump, you damn sure arent ready for jump masse shots. They arent needed often, but if you just REALLY want to learn how to jump masse a ball, you will also realize that you dont really need the gimmick ball, and have just wasted $29.

Hope this makes sense.

BTW, is this the only shade of white that the ball is available in? It doesnt look like the best shade to learn how to jump balls with. So once again, it is a waste of $29.

Glad you asked for opinions, and damn glad I could help out. :thumbup:

The person asking this question has spent over $2000 on lessons and training material. I doubt the $29 concerns him much. His brain is not wired correctly.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
For someone who has never jumped and needs the points of cue contact to CB, I can see it helping some. There is still the correct stroke needed. I also think the dynamics of the jump will affect contact points and again stroke. Is it a quick up in the air jump or is the ball to be jumped two feet away?

I look at this just like the training cb with all the English markings on it. For a complete novice it has a place.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
i have never used that training ball so i have no comment
there is a training ball that is clear with a red dot at its very center (core)
i could not find a link
that ball was very useful to me to learn how to jump
because it helped me visualize hitting thru the core of the ball

Don’t you know that every cue ball has that red dot at the core?
....for most cue balls, visibility is a problem though.
:cool:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jumping & Masse'ing

Those are Very Good ideas... I'll have to try that.

That info right there, might help students, to grasp the concept of Jumping. I could also use a marks-a-lot, on the plain balls, to simulate the marks on The McDermott balls..

You & I are just different. If I see a Training Tool, that could possibly help me shorten the learning curve & It doesn't cost much, I'm in. I don't have time to do the messaround. If a Training Tool can help me win some games, I'm money ahead.

Good Luck to you...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Jack up and hit on, above or below the CB's 3D center for neutral, follow or draw.

That'll be $14.99 (free shipping).

pj <- PayPal's good
chgo

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The person asking this question has spent over $2000 on lessons and training material. I doubt the $29 concerns him much. His brain is not wired correctly.

Im guessing he has spent more than 2k trying to find the best shade of green cloth. :thumbup:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Easy there killers ... you don't need to be condescending. I would spend the $1100 to hang out at Tor's house and learn a few things. I still have a stock of Kamui 0.98 for my break cues and I'm quite happy with it. I have a slip on extension for my ivory cue and I don't regret it. I also have several training balls that, while I don't use, are still there for showing other people how to do things.

The value someone gets out of something they invest in is only measureable by their own self.

Breathe deeply and walk your own path. There's no need to belittle people for trying to learn.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy there killers ... you don't need to be condescending. I would spend the $1100 to hang out at Tor's house and learn a few things. I still have a stock of Kamui 0.98 for my break cues and I'm quite happy with it. I have a slip on extension for my ivory cue and I don't regret it. I also have several training balls that, while I don't use, are still there for showing other people how to do things.

The value someone gets out of something they invest in is only measureable by their own self.

Breathe deeply and walk your own path. There's no need to belittle people for trying to learn.

We’re no belittling a random person for their purchase though. It’s specifically this poster, and only this poster, DCP. He’s the one who challenged a claim that he’s not insane by listing all of the training material and lessons he’s taken. To which he’s had no improvement in his game since he picked up a cue. At least 20 years of trying to improve, and he hasn’t.

You can’t teach passion for something. But understanding your passion goes far beyond than just “I’ve spent xxxxyyyy money in this”.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
We’re no belittling a random person for their purchase though. It’s specifically this poster, and only this poster...

If this was my first time here and I saw those remarks, I wouldn't ever sign up for an account. That's my point. People get torn up by all of products I listed. Heck, there are deadly serious taunts about what kind of chalk you use, dress codes becoming death threats ... it's out of hand.

There are posters here that rub me the wrong way and for the most part I leave it be. DH might be the exception as I was trying to snap him back into reality but he's left sanity far behind and that's his path.

I chose my company carefully as it is a reflection of me.