Anyone know if Mosconi ever saw Efren play, and if so, .....

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi died in '93, Reyes surfaced in the States in the mid '80's. Mosconi made a cameo appearance in Thorogood's Bad to the Bone in '82. Possible but I think not likely.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...what he thought of him?
I would guess that Willie had to have seen Efren play at least once. As for what he thought? Probably glad he was retired. IMO Efren would have given him a good game at 14.1 and beat him playing everything else. Don't pile on Willie lovers, just my $.02, nothing more.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, there could've been evidence somewhere of his thoughts.
Considering that Willie was NO dummy its pretty safe to assume that IF he did see ER play he would have been impressed. Kinda hard not to be, right?

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve read his biography, which I recommend. My guess is Willie would have had a racist reaction and criticized his stroke, like a lot of people did, initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

I’ve read his biography, which I recommend. My guess is Willie would have had a racist reaction and criticized his stroke, like a lot of people did, initially.

This sounds about right. Willie did not throw out very many compliments.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
...what he thought of him?

He would have only seen him playing 9-ball. I think you’re forgetting that at that time, Mike Sigel was the king of tournament play, Earl Strickland was the player taking over Sigel’s dominance, Nick Varner was to gave tbe greatest couple of years ever recorded.

I doubt Willy would have thought much of Efren. I’m sure he respected Mizerak though.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess that Willie had to have seen Efren play at least once. As for what he thought? Probably glad he was retired. IMO Efren would have given him a good game at 14.1 and beat him playing everything else. Don't pile on Willie lovers, just my $.02, nothing more.

Not to pile on but :)

Even into his sixties Mosconi would have put Efren into a coma. At one game of 14.1 Efren would have a chance. But any kind of long match Willie would be much more consistent and run way more balls.

Lou Figueroa

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So, are you saying that any criticism of any player of a different skin color is racism? Or that per Willie's biography he had racist aspects to his personality?

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, are you saying that any criticism of any player of a different skin color is racism? Or that per Willie's biography he had racist aspects to his personality?

No, I’m saying he would have criticized him as a player, and that even less of him because he was different.

And yes, there were certainly racist aspects of his personality and upbringing

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I’m saying he would have criticized him as a player, and that even less of him because he was different.

Has nothing to do with what he thought of other pool/billiards players. He did not discriminate against those he beat unmercifully, and he beat them all with equality.

No one gives a sh!t about whether you think he was a racist or not, but I bet most agree you enjoy pointing fingers.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

thanks for the clarification

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread = I don't know whether Mosconi ever saw Efren play but if he did he would have thought blah blah blah.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"This kid Cesar plays pretty good.. Glad I'm retired!"

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Willie did see Efren play - at Hard Times in around 1990-91 we put on the Willie Mosconi Open and Willie made an appearance there and even did a couple of short exhibitions. I had to remind him if he was shooting a shot for the second time because he had some memory lapses by then.

Efren played in that event (9-Ball) and Willie watched part of one match. I sat next to him and gave him some background on Efren. Willie sat in silence for a few minutes and then said, "He has a nice game." He made no comment on his stroke or stance or anything else.

We also did a one hour long interview that was recorded on video where Willie discussed his life in Pool. Unfortunately and unbelievably, the guy who recorded it accidentally erased it as well. He asked me to do it again and I refused. It was enough to put Willie through all that once and I wasn't about to ask him to sit through it again. That experience was a tremendous disappointment to me as we had some classic stuff on that tape.