Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page High Run Equivalency between a 9' and 10' table?
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Howdy
Old
  (#31)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Howdy - 04-12-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Danny, I hope you'll follow up with us on this post after you've had plenty of opportunity to adjust your 14.1 game to the 10 foot table, to compare the difficulty in achieving high runs between the 9 and 10 foot tables.

I plan to try your advice of sticking to centerball as much as I can when I shooting longer shots on our 10-footer. I've found it very frustrating at times when comparing my shotmaking to our 9-foot tables with the same sized pockets. Maybe I can get better results with your advice - it makes perfect sense.
I hope your 14.1 continues to improve ChrisNC, don't have any new runs to report as of late - been bitten by the billiard bug

Old
  (#32)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

04-18-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
If your wanting a pool lesson u r goin bout it the wrong way, no refs in pool and baseball did and still does have. People who are truly in the know on this forum - know that I speak the truth rather courageously. There was a serious issue with where I was staying in nyc, I had to forfeit out of dragon event due to no sleep.
I Iike baseball and wish pool was half as successful as the great American game.If yer comparin' me to Babe Ruth then thenk u fer compliment - I have hit a few homers me self. Bottom line here is I think u would rather watch a player run 100 and out against yer LEAST favorite player over viewing a player running say 600 balls while practicing. Probly because u may enjoy the drama instead of being a purist. I don't LOOK 4 excuses to lose and if you ever make it to a big event (as a rail bird) - let me ask u in advance to please put yer device on silent. I real eyes you can't help but there's my comment. So please do not comment on something you don't understand.
Sorry my friend, but nothing you say will ever convince me that performance in ANY sport during practice is in any way comparable on an achievement level to performance in competition. Being a "purist" in billiards or any other sport in my opinion does not include the consideration of non competitive situations as really having any meaning at all. Being able to deal with pressure and distractions has to be part of any champion's make up - it is part of the very definition of a sports champion. Your REALLY trying to tell me that you would rather have the record high practice 14.1 run over winning a bona fide world championship 14.1 event? NOT me. I just respectfully disagree with any serious consideration of sports practice achievements.

roger that Mosconimike
Old
  (#33)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

roger that Mosconimike - 04-19-2018, 12:35 PM

I understand your point, as for myself if the camera is on (BU Exam 4 example) and if a person has a clear set of goals - they are in essence competing. When I ran the 351 there were times I had to deal with nervous mind chatter, as you probly know if the mind begins to wonder even a little - it will have a negative effect on trying to accomplish the goal at hand. If when I'm practicing without the camera on - that is when i'm working on my game and or the basics. I do understand your steadfast effort to keep the 2 separated (old school) - it ain't that simple sir. I'm sorry for calling you weak in the prior post - I was out uh' line there and you do seem genuine in the point you made. The reality is Straight Pool tournaments today do not attract large crowds (except online) this is a new era - good or bad?
A large part to running many racks in 14.1 re-rack is being able to have a quite mind. I am not currently practicing much Straight pool - I believe that if the camera is on and the players goal is clear - the player is in fact competing. There are many top players trying to surpass the great Willie Mosconi's record of 526, they have their camera ON in hope of winning the big $ that Fat boy And Jay have offered (pay out is better than any top 14.1 event here in USA). I believe their offer has sparked some interest in 14.1 - just sayin. Not here to compare apples to oranges - I do think your baseball analogy to pool was lacking. Comparing Baseball (where there is huge sponsors) to Pocket Billiards where there is no structured tour and small sponsors is like trying to climb an icy mountain barefoot. Oh by the way I real eyes' there will always be hecklers and I can still run out with someone saying don't miss (with a beer in their hand) when it is my shot and I am down on the ball, I just think after completing 25 racks - without a miss ON CAMERA I have earned the right for a ref to be there (at the table) to stop the drama. Just out of curiosity what is your high run in straight pool? Have you ever practiced as if you were competing - I have. Also the fellow who just broke the world record in 3-cushion with a run of 32 - would that have been more prestigious had there been a crowd of people there? As for me it really made little difference that he was practicing against or with an opponent - I just like watching the incredibly superb run. Were all entitled to our opinion - that is mine sir.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 05-05-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Old
  (#34)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

04-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I understand your point, as for myself if the camera is on (BU Exam 4 example) and if a person has a clear set of goals - they are in essence competing. When I ran the 351 there were times I had to deal with nervous mind chatter, as you probly know if the mind begins to wonder even a little - it will have a negative effect on trying to accomplish the goal at hand. If when I'm practicing without the camera on - that is when i'm working on my game and or the basics. I do understand your steadfast effort to keep the 2 separated (old school) - it ain't that simple sir. I'm sorry for calling you weak in the prior post - I was out uh' line there and you do seem genuine in the point you made. The reality is Straight Pool tournaments today do not attract large crowds (except online) this is a new era - good or bad?
A large part to running many racks in 14.1 re-rack is being able to have a quite mind. I am not currently practicing much Straight pool - I believe that if the camera is on and the players goal is clear - the player is in fact competing. There are many top players trying to surpass the great Willie Mosconi's record of 526, they have their camera ON in hope of winning the big $ that Fat boy And Jay have offered (pay out is better than any top 14.1 event). I believe their offer has sparked some interest in 14.1 - just sayin. Not here to compare apples to oranges - I do think your baseball analogy to pool was lacking. Comparing Baseball (where there is huge sponsors) to Pocket Billiards where there is no structured tour and small sponsors is like trying to climb an icy mountain barefoot. Oh by the way I real eyes' there will always be hecklers and I can still run out with someone saying don't miss (with a beer in their hand) when it is my shot and I am down on the ball, I just think after completing 25 racks - without a miss ON CAMERA I have earned the right for a ref to be there (at the table) to stop the drama. Just out of curiosity what is your high run in straight pool? Have you ever practiced as if you were competing - I have. Also the fellow who just broke the world record in 3-cushion with a run of 32 - would that have been more prestigious had there been a crowd of people there? As for me it really made little difference that he was practicing against or with an opponent - I just like watching the incredibly superb run. Were all entitled to our opinion - that is mine sir.
High Run in 14.1 is 147. Fully respect your thoughts and opinions, BUT-- YES I do think that ANY record breaking or significant sports achievement performed in front of a live audience of some significant size is much more prestigious than a sports accomplishment completed during a practice session; for my previously stated reasons.
Someone is willing to pay out a large sum to break 526 WITHOUT having a strong number of sworn witnesses? - they are willing to pay out on a self recorded camera??

yes
Old
  (#35)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

yes - 04-20-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
High Run in 14.1 is 147. Fully respect your thoughts and opinions, BUT-- YES I do think that ANY record breaking or significant sports achievement performed in front of a live audience of some significant size is much more prestigious than a sports accomplishment completed during a practice session; for my previously stated reasons.
Someone is willing to pay out a large sum to break 526 WITHOUT having a strong number of sworn witnesses? - they are willing to pay out on a self recorded camera??
147 is a solid run - hmm ever play snooker :- ) and yes if the record is surpassed ( i don't like the word broken) Jay Helfert and Fat boy from the west coast fly in to the players home town and check the table, so as to compare it to the video of the run and make sure nothing has been rigged. Kindy' surprised you ain't heard bout there offer? If the table meets their standards they pay out the big $ to the player. They do have equipment that can keep anyone who might replace balls or cheat - honest - so that is not an issue. Would you consider a live stream of people watching from miles away on their computer a live audience - just sayin? As for myself I would say it IS a form of competition - as there are others who are trying to accomplish the same goal - with their camera on. I have always played better in front of an audience and or when there is a dress code - it just made the match up seem more important to me. So I'm a bit 'old school as well, now you know or I hope at least will consider there are a few options in competing other than playing in a room full of people and their devices that can have loud unusual ringers - that uncannily happen in the 'dark horses' backstroke - on accident :-((an issue that did not exist in Mosconi's era). In snooker they have security for that and a ref for every table, not so much in American Pocket Billiards - that is why they say to win the Dragon promo event you have to feel like you belong, which is poor advice. When actually the winner is the one who 'hit em well' and it was that player 'turn' to WIN (great advice). In closing I would add - to give credit on how well the racks were completed and not so much value on where or who was watching has a more purists nature than a room full of sweaters who may or may not be betting on you. Not to get too deep on ya here Mike but I would rather control the environment with technology (isolation) than be sharked or distracted by it. Adios MosconiMike.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 04-20-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Word class
Old
  (#36)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

Word class - 04-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Didn't hear no rebuttal from ya mikemosconi, just thought I would mention that I have always considered any run over 150 to be world class. Eh no worries - just thought i.d. give ye a little incentive. Maybe post some of your runs if u catch one on tape. I understand when the eye in the sky becomes the audience it can be uh little new, maybe it will suffice.

They say da camra don't lie, might wanna get one that is not hooked into the internet - that can get a bit tricky I hear.

Old
  (#37)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

04-23-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
A large part to running many racks in 14.1 re-rack is being able to have a quite mind. I am not currently practicing much Straight pool - I believe that if the camera is on and the players goal is clear - the player is in fact competing. There are many top players trying to surpass the great Willie Mosconi's record of 526, they have their camera ON in hope of winning the big $ that Fat boy And Jay have offered (pay out is better than any top 14.1 event). I believe their offer has sparked some interest in 14.1 - just sayin. Not here to compare apples to oranges - I do think your baseball analogy to pool was lacking. Comparing Baseball (where there is huge sponsors) to Pocket Billiards where there is no structured tour and small sponsors is like trying to climb an icy mountain barefoot. Oh by the way I real eyes' there will always be hecklers and I can still run out with someone saying don't miss (with a beer in their hand) when it is my shot and I am down on the ball, I just think after completing 25 racks - without a miss ON CAMERA I have earned the right for a ref to be there (at the table) to stop the drama. Just out of curiosity what is your high run in straight pool? Have you ever practiced as if you were competing - I have. Also the fellow who just broke the world record in 3-cushion with a run of 32 - would that have been more prestigious had there been a crowd of people there? As for me it really made little difference that he was practicing against or with an opponent - I just like watching the incredibly superb run. Were all entitled to our opinion - that is mine sir.

I believe a run in practice, on a tough table, with a camera rolling, is totally legit worthy of accolades.

I have also heard, from pros, that for whatever reasons that they tend to run more balls in competition, perhaps because of the concentration and care taken.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#38)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

04-23-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Didn't hear no rebuttal from ya mikemosconi, just thought I would mention that I have always considered any run over 150 to be world class. Eh no worries - just thought i.d. give ye a little incentive. Maybe post some of your runs if u catch one on tape. I understand when the eye in the sky becomes the audience it can be uh little new, maybe it will suffice.

They say da camra don't lie, might wanna get one that is not hooked into the internet - that can get a bit tricky I hear.

I'd love to hit a run over 150.

So Danny, let me ask you: when I shoot I get a lot of break shots where the balls just do not open well. Other than "leave yourself better break shots" do you have any advice? Like maybe, higher v lower break shots, or leave room between the BB and the rack, or more angle, or something else?

Lou Figueroa

Howdy Lou
Old
  (#39)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

Howdy Lou - 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I'd love to hit a run over 150.

So Danny, let me ask you: when I shoot I get a lot of break shots where the balls just do not open well. Other than "leave yourself better break shots" do you have any advice? Like maybe, higher v lower break shots, or leave room between the BB and the rack, or more angle, or something else?

Lou Figueroa
Sure, I was having same issue with the 5x10 my friend just acquired. Get a microfiber towel and spray it with woolite, then clean the cloth with towel. Also I learned a new method from a table mechanic from St.Louis. When he recovered the table he saturated the cloth with water before stretching it and stapling down, then a couple of fans on to air dry. The cloth as it's drying stretches again, this allows the cloth to adhere to slate even more. Next time I may spray with rain water, :-) it really makes a difference. We did not use the water method on the 5x10, probly why we needed the woolite so much - and the cloth is noticably less tight as a result. If you need the dudes tele# I can give to ya, him and his son are top notch table mechanics.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 04-23-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Old
  (#40)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

04-24-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Sure, I was having same issue with the 5x10 my friend just acquired. Get a microfiber towel and spray it with woolite, then clean the cloth with towel. Also I learned a new method from a table mechanic from St.Louis. When he recovered the table he saturated the cloth with water before stretching it and stapling down, then a couple of fans on to air dry. The cloth as it's drying stretches again, this allows the cloth to adhere to slate even more. Next time I may spray with rain water, :-) it really makes a difference. We did not use the water method on the 5x10, probly why we needed the woolite so much - and the cloth is noticably less tight as a result. If you need the dudes tele# I can give to ya, him and his son are top notch table mechanics.

I'm in St. Louis and I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. And yes, he does top-notch work.

Lou Figueroa
where's the Woolite...

One pocket
Old
  (#41)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

One pocket - 04-24-2018, 11:23 AM

If you ever want to compete at some cheap one pocket since your only three hrs. I would make the trip, not really out to beat you Lou I just know your a gentleman to compete against and I like to mix it up now and again and nobody who will play in Springfield - adios.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 04-24-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Old
  (#42)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

04-24-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
If you ever want to compete at some cheap one pocket since your only three hrs. I would make the trip, not really out to beat you Lou I just know your a gentleman to compete against and I like to mix it up now and again and nobody who will play in Springfield - adios.

That's sounds like a great idea, Danny.

At the moment my knee is giving me a problem with a torn meniscus but I'm seeing the ortho doc Thursday. Perhaps if he can fix me up, we can get together soon. Any which way, if you come out to play, dinner is on me.

Lou Figueroa

ok Kemosabee
Old
  (#43)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

ok Kemosabee - 05-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
That's sounds like a great idea, Danny.

At the moment my knee is giving me a problem with a torn meniscus but I'm seeing the ortho doc Thursday. Perhaps if he can fix me up, we can get together soon. Any which way, if you come out to play, dinner is on me.

Lou Figueroa
Thank you for that, I meant friendly game. I remember you being a good player but I will bring my A game plus a healthy appetite for even for a friendly wager.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 05-04-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Yep
Old
  (#44)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

Yep - 05-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I believe a run in practice, on a tough table, with a camera rolling, is totally legit worthy of accolades.

I have also heard, from pros, that for whatever reasons that they tend to run more balls in competition, perhaps because of the concentration and care taken.

Lou Figueroa
I saw a post on the new run of 32 in three cushion, a kazoom forum poster tried to belittle the new world record (on camera) in 3 cushion, saying it was not official - due to there not being a referee. I would like ref's as much if not more than the next player, however the run IS OFFICIAL - let the camera be the ref is what I say.

Cranfield Runs
Old
  (#45)
bobu5678
AzB Bronze Member
bobu5678 is on a distinguished road

Cranfield Runs - 05-19-2018, 08:15 AM

When I was in college I had seen Cranfield run out against a challenger. This is what I remember his style was: He would slam very hard into the rack, if any balls wound up way at the top of the table, he would use a shot to a side pocket, for position uptable, and he would also make sure to have a shot at another side pocket, after he cleaned the top of the table. He did this exhibition for Brunswick in the 70's, 74 to be exact.

If you're playing on 5x10 tables, you can develop strategies so that way you limit your long shots. But !!! you need to practice on the big tables.

After Cranfield ran his 495, Mosconi, since he was Brunswick's "exhibition pro" at the time, needed to defend his status, hence the 4x8 526 run. I am more impressed by Cranfield run than Mosconi, but both were great players.

Also Irving Crane, another great player ran 300 on a 5x10 table in the late 30's.

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: