Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Simple question for you experts on 14.1
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-15-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMan View Post
This right here. f your table has a score counter - use one scoring wheel for the running score; the other for the rack score. Subtract off the running score so that the rack score always add to 14. End of rack - add the rack score to the running score and reset the rack wheels to zero.

If using paper, use tick marks for each ball score. At end of each rack, right the running score in the grid and circle. If you subsequently foul, subtract from the running score.

Or use an app like Straight Pool Deluxe on your Ipad!
Just a comment about score keeping in general... I don't know how everybody else keeps score, but this is what I was taught and what I find easiest. Opponent runs a few balls and misses. He marks his score on the beads or score counter. I run about half a rack and miss. I have no idea how many I made because that's the last thing I should be thinking about during a run. After my miss, I count the balls on the table, say 5. Then I look at my opponent's rack score of 4. That makes 9. It takes 6 balls to total 15 so I know I have 6 balls. As a side note, if I already had 1 ball it wouldn't matter. I still have a total of 6.

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious but I didn't want anyone to confuse counting up to 14 for some reason instead of 15.

Dan White

Old
  (#17)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

02-15-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Just a comment about score keeping in general... I don't know how everybody else keeps score, but this is what I was taught and what I find easiest. Opponent runs a few balls and misses. He marks his score on the beads or score counter. I run about half a rack and miss. I have no idea how many I made because that's the last thing I should be thinking about during a run. After my miss, I count the balls on the table, say 5. Then I look at my opponent's rack score of 4. That makes 9. It takes 6 balls to total 15 so I know I have 6 balls. As a side note, if I already had 1 ball it wouldn't matter. I still have a total of 6.

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious but I didn't want anyone to confuse counting up to 14 for some reason instead of 15.
We have dial scorers on the wall near the chairs for each table, with four dials (2 on top and 2 on bottom) so you can keep the rack score and the total score for each player. It kind of gets on my nerves when I'm playing a young player who doesn't understand the etiquette of keeping score in straight pool, who keeps his finger on the dial while I'm shooting, adjusting the dial after every ball I make. It takes a little time until they understand the concept of not having to do that, and that all you need to do at the end of any player's inning is to subtract from 15 the number of balls left on the table and the number of balls made in the rack to that point by both players, and whatever is remaining is what the player's run totals, and each rack score when one ball is left on the table always adds up to 14 - very simple once you get the hang of it,

Old
  (#18)
tc in l a
AzB Silver Member
tc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond reputetc in l a has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Hey Chris, thanks for your all of your input from a proprietor's view, sounds like you have a great room.

Can you post a picture or two of these counters you're using and where you bought them?

Tony C

Old
  (#19)
RobMan
AzB Silver Member
RobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
This is exactly the way I was taught many many years ago and the way I do it today. You are right, sometimes what we think is obvious is not.

Old
  (#20)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc in l a View Post
Hey Chris, thanks for your all of your input from a proprietor's view, sounds like you have a great room.

Can you post a picture or two of these counters you're using and where you bought them?

Tony C
Thanks. I'll try to take a photo and get someone to help me figure out how to post it. A simple set of dial scorers have two scorers, so you need two (top and bottom) to make what you'll need for 14.1. I had my handyman who is also my table mechanic to make and stain the wood bases they are attached to. I know Ken at Classic Billiards in Maryland has them available.

Old
  (#21)
alinco
AzB Silver Member
alinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-23-2018, 04:12 PM

As a side note on the break shot...failure to get 2 object balls to a rail is not a foul. It is an illegal break and you lose 2 points. Other player has the option of playing the table or having you re-break.

An illegal break is not a foul so does not count towards 3 consecutive fouls.

Andy

Old
  (#22)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinco View Post
As a side note on the break shot...failure to get 2 object balls to a rail is not a foul. It is an illegal break and you lose 2 points. Other player has the option of playing the table or having you re-break.

An illegal break is not a foul so does not count towards 3 consecutive fouls.

Andy
Under WPA (world-standardized) rules, it is not called an "illegal break," it is a "breaking foul." So it is a type of foul (a 2-pointer) but different from "standard fouls" (1-pointers). And, yes, a breaking foul does not count toward the 3-foul rule.

Just to be different, the CSI rules (BCAPL and USAPL) use the term "opening break violation" rather than "breaking foul."

Old
  (#23)
Seth C.
AzB Silver Member
Seth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Under WPA (world-standardized) rules, it is not called an "illegal break," it is a "breaking foul." So it is a type of foul (a 2-pointer) but different from "standard fouls" (1-pointers). And, yes, a breaking foul does not count toward the 3-foul rule.
Just to complete the picture, the WPA 14.1 rules also prescribe what happens when both a breaking foul and a standard foul occur on the same opening break shot:

"A breaking foul is penalized by the loss of two points as mentioned under 4.3 Opening Break Shot, as well as a possible re-break. If both a standard foul and a breaking foul happen on one shot, it is considered a breaking foul."

Old
  (#24)
arcstats
AzB Silver Member
arcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond reputearcstats has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2018, 08:28 PM

If a player were to scratch on the opening break after two balls and the cue have contacted a rail, does this count as a legal break and the player is only penalized 1 point?

Old
  (#25)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcstats View Post
If a player were to scratch on the opening break after two balls and the cue have contacted a rail, does this count as a legal break and the player is only penalized 1 point?
Yes. BIH behind the line for the opponent.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: