McDermott Cue I.D. and value

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I still personally wouldn't pay much for it, but I do think it is worth the asking price.

I just went through late 70's and early 90's Mali catalogs. I do not see this exact model but my records are incomplete. I do see cues with these exact features, including those veneers. It looks to be a Mali as Jayman said.

Mali did use a 3/8x10 pin in addition to others. I am holding one from the 80's in my hands right now, and I have a couple others. They have that white joint collar as well. I also have black joint collar and stainless joint collar 3/8x10 Mali cues.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I just went through late 70's and early 90's Mali catalogs. I do not see this exact model but my records are incomplete. I do see cues with these exact features, including those veneers. It looks to be a Mali as Jayman said.

Mali did use a 3/8x10 pin in addition to others. I am holding one from the 80's in my hands right now, and I have a couple others. They have that white joint collar as well. I also have black joint collar and stainless joint collar 3/8x10 Mali cues.

I do have a few 80s Mali brochures. And I don't see anything that looks like this cue. Not that that means anything. But it would be interesting to see a Mali picture that looks something like this cue. It just doesn't to me. I don't even remember seeing a Mali full splice forearm. But, that's just me.

All the best,
WW

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
must be very early 80s, nothing like this in the mid 80s when I started playing. Has a lot going on, that's for sure

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have a few 80s Mali brochures. And I don't see anything that looks like this cue. Not that that means anything. But it would be interesting to see a Mali picture that looks something like this cue. It just doesn't to me. I don't even remember seeing a Mali full splice forearm. But, that's just me.

All the best,
WW

78-79 and 1980 catalog pages. Don't remember where I got these pics though. Notice cues 495 and 144.

Attachments

• 78-79.jpg
    78-79.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 1980.jpg
    1980.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
78-79 and 1980 catalog pages. Don't remember where I got these pics though. Notice cues 495 and 144.

Doc, with all due respect, I don't see much resemblance to cues 495 and 144. The OP's cue has a one diamond and two dot motif in the buttsleeve. These do not. The OP's cue has a full splice looking forearm. These do not. The OP's cue has a different joint than these. The OP's cue has a thick ring above the wrap, which these don't.

You could still be right. But, as Will Rogers said, I only know what I read in the newspapers. Still a bit of a mystery in my mind.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc, with all due respect, I don't see much resemblance to cues 495 and 144. The OP's cue has a one diamond and two dot motif in the buttsleeve. These do not. The OP's cue has a full splice looking forearm. These do not. The OP's cue has a different joint than these. The OP's cue has a thick ring above the wrap, which these don't.

You could still be right. But, as Will Rogers said, I only know what I read in the newspapers. Still a bit of a mystery in my mind.

All the best,
WW

I see a great deal.

We do know for sure that Mali used that joint, though it isn't in these catalog pics.

vintage-mali-billiards-pool-cue-case_1_c7142982a86134039beca8e5ea0c2c19.jpg

Cue 495 has exactly the same veneers.

Cue 144 has very similar butt sleeve design.

The pearl rings are also in common.

Cue 75 and 520 have the wide pearl ring above the wrap, at the A joint.

5 of the 13 cues have some kind of a ring at the A joint.

Look at cue 600 and 702. I often see people call cues "full splice looking" just because of where the wrap or A joint ring is relative to the bottom of the points. Those two cues have the wrap lower on the points as well, just like the posted cue.

Cue 600 has exactly the same veneers with the wrap cut in right near the tips of the bottom points just like the posted cue, but the posted cue has a ring there.

The differences are easily just model differences. Mix and match known Mali parts and designs and you get this cue.

Also, I trust Jayman. As soon as he said it a light bulb went on for me.