World Championship and US Open

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two events whose current iterations I've thoroughly enjoyed since their revivals-Dragon Promotions World 14.1 since 2006 and Mark Kulungian's Connecticut event in 2016 and 2017-each had very small player fields recently whereas Peter Burrow's American event in Midlothian,Virginia seems to get stronger every year.
Any thoughts why this is so?
(I certainly hope that I'll be watching 14.1 in New York and Connecticut again this year.)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two events whose current iterations I've thoroughly enjoyed since their revivals-Dragon Promotions World 14.1 since 2006 and Mark Kulungian's Connecticut event in 2016 and 2017-each had very small player fields recently whereas Peter Burrow's American event in Midlothian,Virginia seems to get stronger every year.
(I certainly hope that I'll be watching 14.1 in New York and Connecticut again this year.)

One reason for the success of the American Straight Pool Championship the last 3 years is that it was played the week before the US Open 9-Ball Championship and just 2 hours down the road from it. So players from outside the USA could play both events on the same trip.

Some numbers for each event -- entrants, prize money:

World 14.1
  • 2015 -- 56, $37,000
    2016 -- 48, $34,000
    2017 -- 32, unknown (likely under $30,000; results not in AzB database)

US Open 14.1
  • 2015 -- not played
    2016 -- 20, $20,700 (results not in AzB database)
    2017 -- 16, $17,000

American 14.1
  • 2015 -- 40, $29,800 + $800 bonuses
    2016 -- 42, $40,200
    2017 -- 48, $40,400

[There may also have been some additional (fairly small) high-run bonuses in some of these events.]

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One reason for the success of the American Straight Pool Championship the last 3 years is that it was played the week before the US Open 9-Ball Championship and just 2 hours down the road from it. So players from outside the USA could play both events on the same trip.

World 14.1
  • 2015 -- 56, $37,000
    2016 -- 48, $34,000

US Open 14.1
  • 2015 -- not played
    2017 -- 16, $17,000

American 14.1
    2016 -- 42, $40,200
    2017 -- 48, $40,400

[There may also have been some additional (fairly small) high-run bonuses in some of these events.]
Another factor is the entry/added money amounts. The American was $300 or $325 to enter and the added was $25,000. I believe the World was about $600 to enter.

Danny Barouty wanted to run a qualifier in Monterey for the World but the number of players and the cost did not allow it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. 56 was largest turnout, really? And people give me s^*t for saying straight-pool is deader than Hula-hoop. For perspective, i'm going to 9ball event in a couple weeks that takes place TWICE a yr., will have 128 players and a 40-50grand calcutta. I'm glad there's enough purists to keep 14.1 on life-support but it's never getting much bigger. Hammer me at will 14.1'r's.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's definitely one reason and as Bob mentioned: lower entry and considerably more added money.
Another benefit to the players when compared to the world event is much lower expenses. Plus everyone likes Peter Burrows. The same can't be said for Charlie Williams.
It's even more attractive for spectators.
Free addmission
Free streaming
Low expenses if attending in person
Possibly the most talented fields ever assembled

I'd predict that the American will continue to get better and better, and wouldn't be at all surprised if the Worlds disappears in the near future.

If you do decide to attend the American 14.1 championship try if possible to get there a day early.
Greenleafs poolroom in Richmond has an exhibition match the night before the tournament starts, usually featuring Hohmann and another top player (last year was Mika). The venue is superb, the atmosphere is electric and it's a memorable evening.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I asked Mark about it a week or two ago. He's always free to change his mind, of course, but I don't think he's doing it again this year. It's a shame because Mark's place is very nice, and he's a real gentleman.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
US and World Opens

I certainly agree that Mark is a gentleman with a fine room. I hope that he reconsiders. Meanwhile I heard on the AZBTV stream from Upstate Al that the World will be back in August, perhaps at Steinway for the 6th year. Has anyone got more information?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I certainly agree that Mark is a gentleman with a fine room. I hope that he reconsiders. Meanwhile I heard on the AZBTV stream from Upstate Al that the World will be back in August, perhaps at Steinway for the 6th year. Has anyone got more information?

The US Open 14.1 was a CSI event. Mark Griffin tried it twice there in Windsor Locks at Kulungian's room, but didn't get much of a response. I doubt he'll do it the same way a 3rd time, but I certainly hope the event doesn't just perish.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

World 14.1
  • 2015 -- 56, $37,000
    2016 -- 48, $34,000

US Open 14.1
  • 2015 -- not played
    2017 -- 16, $17,000

American 14.1
    2016 -- 42, $40,200
    2017 -- 48, $40,400

Wow...just Wow !!

If you add up my 3 league season a year for my 14.1 league, we top some of these numbers....Just Sayin !!

zensartre

Registered
Conn. is WAY up there. Queens is way too EXPENSIVE. Richmond is easier to get to, and it doesen't cost so much to stay.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've attended this event twice and would love to continue, but with the US Open 9B moving to Vegas, it may be difficult to draw all those top players to the Richmond area in the future.

I think the US Open 9B tournament made allowances for the 14.1 players in the final round showing up late for 9B. Would love to see more of that kind of thing from promoters.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've attended this event twice and would love to continue, but with the US Open 9B moving to Vegas, it may be difficult to draw all those top players to the Richmond area in the future.

I think the US Open 9B tournament made allowances for the 14.1 players in the final round showing up late for 9B. Would love to see more of that kind of thing from promoters.

You may be right. But Pat Fleming's US International 9-Ball Open is scheduled for Oct. 21-27 in Norfolk, so the American Straight Pool Championship could immediately precede that. Whether they draw lots of international players remains to be seen.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
With the World 14.1 being at The Spot i will not be attending.

Also i heard that the US Open 14.1 is going to be held at Carom or The Carom Room, and after that the next year the event will be moving to Vegas. Dont think Vegas is much into 14.1 but the US Open One Pocket will flurish there since 1Pkt is huge there.

Anyone have any details on the event that is rumored to be at Carom ?