Phil was a changed man

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he told me so himself

Phil was a bit of a tough guy,strong, tough etc, made a living collecting debts,
fencing stolen proprty and suspected of much wose.Once he was tried for killing
a policeman ,but no conviction.

Pretty much a poster for Rusty's pool room across from Baby Dolls exotic dancers.

Phil grew up in Oak Cliff where I did,because I was always winning i became a sort
of a hero to the locals,some would take a shot at me,most just steered clear

One day Phil was in a bar and we stopped by to see if we could pick up a weeks pay
on the way home from something or other. Phil had been holding court and bragging
when we entered the place. I holered across the room ."hey Phil you wanna take a shot
at the money"? It was understood to be good policy to play or gamble
with people who could afford to lose. It was considered stooopid to lose your money in
a spot when your opponet was on the shorts as Red called it.Cornbred not Jersey.

He did and yet he didn't,but then again he didn't want to lose face so he said "ok,$100
a rack,9 ball 6 ball" We played that way to get 2 games for one quarter,ever since we were kids

anyway i won about $1500 maybe more,but in those days that was a score.
Phil was so hot you could see steam coming out his ears,he began to sulk and pace

Louie said to me"better get ready Phil is hot" So instead of dodging Phil I waled over and said.

phil ,this sour humor will get you no where,people are afraid to play uypu.
"if you are going to be a sucker,be a happy sucker"

I left and about 5 years later Phil was in Rusty's when i entered for the first time

he was holding court as usual,but with a handfull of money. i sat quietly at the bar with my
7 up, he came over and said,dean you were right"i am now a happy sucker when I lose
,people are not afraid to play,they come back and I actually get more action'

I owe you a great deal for the advice.
'
Aw shucks 'was all I could think to say

i hope you guys enjoy this little story,it shouldn't cause controversy
unless i failed to name the bar the Q Room

Last edited:

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should write a book of short stories. If you had pictures that would be great. But we all know you with pictures.lol

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good stories, the 9-ball then 6-ball brought back memories, that how we used to do it when playing in a bar.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice Story!

Nice story, shouldn't stir too many people up. Sure reminded me of bad memories though! I never liked nine ball, jumped all over ten ball when it came along. The reason was simple, that 9/6 thing!

Nine ball I had a good break and running out on a bar box wasn't too tough. It was that blessed six ball that annoyed me! I never found a six ball break I really liked and broke dry far too often. Meant I lost the bet I just won to save somebody a few cents!

Later I played 6/9, playing the six ball game first. Funny thing, I didn't mind nearly as bad losing the six ball game when I knew I was going to get a shot to get my money back playing nine ball. Felt much more like a loser when I lost the second game.

Hu

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he told me so himself

Phil was a bit of a tough guy,strong, tough etc, made a living collecting debts,
fencing stolen proprty and suspected of much wose.Once he was tried for killing
a policeman ,but no conviction.

Pretty much a poster for Rusty's pool room across from Baby Dolls exotic dancers.

Phil grew up in Oak Cliff where I did,because I was always winning i became a sort
of a hero to the locals,some would take a shot at me,most just steered clear

One day Phil was in a bar and we stopped by to see if we could pick up a weeks pay
on the way home from something or other. Phil had been holding court and bragging
when we entered the place. I holered across the room ."hey Phil you wanna take a shot
at the money"? It was understood to be good policy to play or gamble
with people who could afford to lose. It was considered stooopid to lose your money in
a spot when your opponet was on the shorts as Red called it.Cornbred not Jersey.

He did and yet he didn't,but then again he didn't want to lose face so he said "ok,$100
a rack,9 ball 6 ball" We played that way to get 2 games for one quarter,ever since we were kids

anyway i won about $1500 maybe more,but in those days that was a score.
Phil was so hot you could see steam coming out his ears,he began to sulk and pace

Louie said to me"better get ready Phil is hot" So instead of dodging Phil I waled over and said.

phil ,this sour humor will get you no where,people are afraid to play uypu.
"if you are going to be a sucker,be a happy sucker"

I left and about 5 years later Phil was in Rusty's when i entered for the first time

he was holding court as usual,but with a handfull of money. i sat quietly at the bar with my
7 up, he came over and said,dean you were right"i am now a happy sucker when I lose
,people are not afraid to play,they come back and I actually get more action'

I owe you a great deal for the advice.
'
Aw shucks 'was all I could think to say

i hope you guys enjoy this little story,it shouldn't cause controversy
unless i failed to name the bar the Q Room
I grew up in Oak Cliff, we all hung out at the Lancaster Club pool hall on Jefferson Blvd

I knew Phil very well, gambled with him many times.

We used to have poker & craps games at his house.

Lots Gin and Golf on the 6 x 12 snooker table at the club too lol

Can you pick him out in this picture :smile:

PHIL SEARS.jpg

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Good story as usual. Can you explain how the 9/6 game is structured?

Thanks...

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one game of 9 ball
one game of 6 ball on the bar box
that way we could get 2 games for a quarter

thanks for the pictures,but please don't mention anthing else about Phil

i never suspected anyone to know who I was talking about

by the way,do you remember Jack Potter?

he still plays and we are friends top this day

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see him

Setting next to Eddie Phillips there's Mickey Stone. Who is that shooting.
Jack

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie passed away

he had a long career in poker

Is Mickey still with us?Last time i saw him he looked sickly
and he was such a healthy specimen when we were young

What i would like to see is posters of a young jack potter standing over a pool shot

his for made every else look clumsy,jack looked like he was born stroking a pool shot

even billy didn't look as good as jack

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in Oak Cliff, we all hung out at the Lancaster Club pool hall on Jefferson Blvd

I knew Phil very well, gambled with him many times.

We used to have poker & craps games at his house.

Lots Gin and Golf on the 6 x 12 snooker table at the club too lol

Can you pick him out in this picture :smile:

View attachment 535915
You gotta be kidding. There's someone in this pic that made a living collecting debts?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Down around the Warrior River down here we thought we had strong shine and tough people, I reckon we got a lot to learn,,, or do we? Sometimes we can hide folks for long periods of time! lol

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well River, me and the close ones have done well for my 66 years. There's a bunch younger and a few older, and we all of the same ilk. well known on the river and the nearest towns like Bessemer, Birmingham, and the sissy towns south of there, (the money towns), We do a lot of moonshine. We's rednecks & I'm the only one that uses computer or writes/communicates worth a shit. I'm the olny one that plays pool too. Contact me sometime if you want to gamble, ($2). If you beat our ol B;ham boy David R., well then you come hunt me, We'll do some bass fishing, ($2 per fish), then play some pool!
Call - BR549

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well River, me and the close ones have done well for my 66 years. There's a bunch younger and a few older, and we all of the same ilk. well known on the river and the nearest towns like Bessemer, Birmingham, and the sissy towns south of there, (the money towns), We do a lot of moonshine. We's rednecks) & I'm the only one that uses computer or writes/communicates worth a shit. I'm the olny one that plays pool too, (I'm real good)… Contact me sometime if yo want to gamble. If you beat our ol B;ham boy David Rowell, well then you come hunt me, We'll do some bass fishing then play some pool !!!

Yep, you drinkin some STRONG shit tonight.

I grew up in the south, and have been through Alabama. Even bought the tshirt. :grin:

whathappenedwhen9053-f515.png

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why use vulgarity on these threads
very low class
it takes awaythe enjoyment i used to have letting my family watch

please remove it from the thread as a personal favor

I never could understand the purpose of vulgarity

Its not funny,its not cute,it is not the sign of intelligence
or respect. It doesn't create love or respect trust or confidence

I understand that I can probably expect to see more of
it as that seems to be the drift of the pool mentality and ebven here on Az
It merely lowers the respect that a game like pool might have had
had we not given in t our baser side

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You praise con men and at least one murderer on here on a regular basis. You brag about the cons you yourself pulled in the name of money. Your favorite people were dope dealers and other con men who you could milk for the cash.

But, vulgarity on a pool forum that less than 1% of the population even knows exists, much less reads, is the problem as to why pool is "low rent". :speechless:

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Dean gets his way and a funny photo and accurate post by River City is pulled.

So Dean, can you spell hypocrite? You are. River City called you on it and he was right. Greenies for River.