Bjorn's 3 Point Bumperless Esoteric - Finished

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Here is one of two Cousin Cues Designed by Chris (Chirppa).

Chris designed these cues based on a nature theme from his writings.

Tropical Rosewood and Curly Maple

12.75 mm shafts

Bumper less with extension quick cam release

EE Wrap from Martin

Beau's beautiful veneers including white

Jump Cue with G10 ferrule tip. ( the jump cue is actually for Chris but I took pics with this cue )

The extension is finished Juma and this is a special cam action quick connect system. I modified this connection so that it fits in my standard 1/2" 13 tpi weight bolt pocket. The bumper is solid Juma instead of rubber for the bumper less feel Chris likes, but the system can be removed in seconds and replaced with a regular bumper and up to 1.5 oz can be added. The Juma bumper and machined brass mating system is 1.2 oz.

Here are some progress pics of the cue's construction taken with my I Phone in the shop:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=394213

Thanks for looking,

Rick

Last edited:

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great work as usual Rick. Will be fun to try them out.
I think you need to explain the 3 point design a bit better for those who is interested.

I will meet up with the guys (Stefan´s cues) when they arrive and I will write more afterwords.

Take care

Chrippa

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Great work as usual Rick. Will be fun to try them out.
I think you need to explain the 3 point design a bit better for those who is interested.

I will meet up with the guys (Stefan´s cues) when they arrive and I will write more afterwords.

Take care

Chrippa

Chris,

Your request was for a very very wide three point geometry and that request created a v groove pocket that was so wide it went way past the centerline of the cue at the bottom of the point stock. Way past. The amount of wood that was left in the sacrificial area was very scary and my first attempt failed as you know. On five test blanks, I backed off a touch with the depth of the geometry of the V groove and these two cues were the result. I now have the number on my mill table micrometer to recreate this interesting look any time I want now, so it was worth the effort. Stefan's cue is the other one and I will post the cousin today also.

On the first attempt I pushed the envelope too much and had a failure that would not structurally stay together during the taper turn that cut out the points to allow a collet on the taper for A Joint tenon stepping and facing. I had to make the forearm 13" instead of 12 so I was able to have a stepped tenon capturing 1" of the forearm wood with the machined short section. The exterior of the cue's forearm is 12" though after the procedure.

After turning the cue to the initial taper I had to bolster the joinery in that area by machining a stepped short and separate intermediate handle section to act as a integral strong back bridging this critical area and glue up with 12000psi epoxy. Essentially taking this weak area on this cue and making it super strong with mechanics and high strength epoxy in that short intermediate section of the handle.

So you can say this geometry request was quite interesting and I learned a great deal by addressing the request. Because of the overlay veneer gun sights between the points, it is hard to visualize just how just how wide these point are. People are use to visualizing the gap between the points in four or five pointers. Three is an all together different animal to reveal a small gap between the veneers on a three point deal.

Thanks for your design and collaboration on all 5 of these cues. As cue nerds we both have some fun!

Chris, It would be cool for you to briefly explain the thoughts behind these cues as the inspiration.

Rick

Here is a pic of the intermediate section on the handle. I searched the progress pics and did not find a pic that shows the special 3 wide point joinery so I had to describe it above instead.

Last edited:

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Miters

Would like some more details about the processes involved in
creating those veneered windows? :wink:

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would like some more details about the processes involved in
creating those veneered windows? :wink:

Super%20bad%20miter%20work_zpsvhtviopr.jpg

Yes, I found this cue fascinating as well. Not only is a 3-point cue fairly unusual these days, but you hardly ever see major gaps at the mitered corners of a veneer "window" used as design features. I've seen this particular maker incorporate the same technique in his other window cues and it's pretty unique to his work.

Definitely an interesting departure from the far more common tight-miter treatment of makers such as Ron Haley or Andy Gilbert (for example):

cue419.jpg

^Haley^

Gilbert%20Brass%2011.jpg

^Gilbert^

TW

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member

Yes, I found this cue fascinating as well. Not only is a 3-point cue fairly unusual these days, but you hardly ever see major gaps at the mitered corners of a veneer "window" used as design features. I've seen this particular maker incorporate the same technique in his other window cues and it's pretty unique to his work.

Definitely an interesting departure from the far more common tight-miter treatment of makers such as Ron Haley or Andy Gilbert (for example):

cue419.jpg

^Haley^

Gilbert%20Brass%2011.jpg

^Gilbert^

TW

Good eye Thomas, it is certainly a unique design feature. I've noticed that he has many interesting things to say as well. Hope the end user enjoys their new cue!

Last edited:

leon sly

old school maniac!!
Silver Member

cue419.jpg

^Haley^

Gilbert%20Brass%2011.jpg

^Gilbert^

TW

who gives a shit about the miter windows...very nice cue rick..i think T.W. Needs to take a long vacation...hafao and a big one at that.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
Personally if a cuemaker sent me a cue with boxes in the butt that looked like that it would be back out the door for a redo or a refund.

The interesting thing though is when I first got into cues I probably would have accepted it. After dabbling in cue for 10 or so years now I've become a cue snob and it takes very little for me to reject a cue. There are so many doing near perfect work these days you don't have to accept glaring defects no matter what price range your looking in.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
who gives a shit about the miter windows...very nice cue rick..i think T.W. Needs to take a long vacation...hafao and a big one at that.

I do, for one. I thought it was very creative, and definitely thinking (or at least executing) outside the box - no pun intended. Apparently you don't take much interest in little details of that nature, but I am always very interested in the tiny things that make a design what it is. I guess some people prefer to "paint with a broad brush" and some like to dwell on the details - you're obviously a "broad brush" guy and I'm a "detail" guy.

Doesn't mean I need to "take a long vacation...hafao and a big one at that"... I always like to pay attention to the detail work in a cue. Clearly, you don't. But surely you would demand the freedom to express what YOU like about the cue, so maybe it's reasonable that you afford ME the same courtesy.

TW
(PS: I have no idea what "hafao" means. and neither does Google. Is that a typo, something you made up, or...?)

Last edited:

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Mister Sly

who gives a shit about the miter windows

Leon are you kidding? I have talked to you on the phone before.
You would NEVER let something like this out of your shop, let alone
take pictures and post on the forum. I think plenty of people "give
a shit", especially people in your profession. I have no clue what
your reply means, and frankly you should delete it because it is
making it seem like this kind of work is acceptable to you, which
I KNOW IT IS NOT!

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
Here are a couple more examples
363b191884f2ac49d9d96758d89a036a.jpg

b829a7d256388dc9b41521b399f341db.jpg

The Durbin is the tightest of the five

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member

cue419.jpg

^Haley^

Gilbert%20Brass%2011.jpg

^Gilbert^

TW

:grin-devilish::grin-devilish::grin-devilish: I thought the same but o well. No dog in this fight

leon sly

old school maniac!!
Silver Member
Leon are you kidding? I have talked to you on the phone before.
You would NEVER let something like this out of your shop, let alone
take pictures and post on the forum. I think plenty of people "give
a shit", especially people in your profession. I have no clue what
your reply means, and frankly you should delete it because it is
making it seem like this kind of work is acceptable to you, which
I KNOW IT IS NOT!
well let put it this way there's no perfect cue... i
don't like to see another cue maker ripping on another maker i'm sure Rick did the best he could do, if the customer is happy with cue then that's all it matters.. Rick doesn't need other makers downing his work to me that's a kick in the balls....i've seen many flaws over the years in some of the big boy's cues but it is what it is there's no perfect cue there's no such thing.
here's my third attempt at doing miter windows are they perfect not at all are they acceptable??... if the customers happy that's all it matters.

no perfect cue i don't care who made it.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I like my boxes stacked...

"That's all I have to say about that"... - Forrest Gump -

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well let put it this way there's no perfect cue... i
don't like to see another cue maker ripping on another maker i'm sure Rick did the best he could do, if the customer is happy with cue then that's all it matters.. Rick doesn't need other makers downing his work to me that's a kick in the balls....i've seen many flaws over the years in some of the big boy's cues but it is what it is there's no perfect cue there's no such thing.
here's my third attempt at doing miter windows are they perfect not at all are they acceptable??... if the customers happy that's all it matters.

no perfect cue i don't care who made it.

I've been nothing but complimentary in my posts. You, on the other hand, took a shot at me out of the blue. But now you say that you "don't like to see another cue maker ripping on another maker". Really, Leon? Go take a look in the mirror.

If it came down to just you and me, you've been the nasty one in this thread.

TW

leon sly

old school maniac!!
Silver Member
T.W. i never see you say anything good about anyone all you want to do is bash every chance you get and i don't get...well i guess most of us really know who the real T.W. REALLY IS.
Remember god doesn't like ugly.

Last edited:

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T.W. i never see you say anything good about anyone all you want to do is bash every chance you get and i don't get...well i guess most of us really know who the real T.W. REALLY IS.
Remember god doesn't like ugly.

All I can say is I guess you don't pay very close attention to everything I say "about anyone". In reality I've been quite complimentary to many cuemakers here on AZB. Not you, of course... But when I see something I really like, or that exhibits high skill, or an interesting take on a traditional design, I usually make a comment to that effect - which is why I posted to this very thread. I'm sorry it wasn't a cue you built, but then I guess I have yet to see one that has moved me to comment.

I do find it interesting that you presume to speak for "most" people, though I am even more surprised to see you claim to know what God does or does not like. But in that same vein, are you not aware that, when writing about God, it's kind of considered improper to not capitalize his name? I would think as someone who claims to know what God does (or does not) like you would be aware of that simple, simple convention.

TW