HOW Long to SOAK MILK DUD TIP ?????

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
making another attempt....
how long to soak tip before pressing????
BTW
USING TRIANGLE,
NOT
ELK MASTER

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is part of the 'secret' along with formula D haha - 24 hours should do the job. Try a few 12 hrs, 24, 36 48 etc. You be the judge for your taste. There are other variables like pressing ie: how much pressure, how long etc...

They all effect the results:groucho: in the end

I messed with elk's for months then bought from Jeff pooldawg here and his were far superior to my many attempts.

Good luck,

-Kat,

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is part of the 'secret' along with formula D haha - 24 hours should do the job. Try a few 12 hrs, 24, 36 48 etc. You be the judge for your taste. There are other variables like pressing ie: how much pressure, how long etc...

They all effect the results:groucho: in the end

I messed with elk's for months then bought from Jeff pooldawg here and his were far superior to my many attempts.

Good luck,

-Kat,

Jeff shared his secret with me, I just buy them off Jeff. He is great to deal with and there is more to it than the recipe. No I can't share any of his recipe. I tried and mine were all sub standard compared to Jeffs tips.
If I mucked around a whole lot more than I did, may have got there.
Neil

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
put the in a bowl of organic 2% milk and heat in the microwave for 2 to 3 hours on high............... serve with couscous..........

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You do not say what type of tip you are soaking so there is no way to know the correct answer. As a Lepro for instance will need to soak longer than the two you mentioned. But as for Elks or Triangles it does not matter much if it is a one day or a few days or more as they will only soak up so much. I would guess if you leave them for weeks it will cause a problem, but I am not sure about that.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
soak 1-2 days

then leave em out to dry for a day

then press em down for a day

i've also tried boiling them first to stiffen the leather, but I don't think it made a difference (and it possibly made the tip worse)

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always thought milk dud meant an elk master soaked in milk and pressed/ dried? The process was to firm and harden a soft tip (without weeks of playing) known to hold chalk well. Never thought Triangle or Le Pro would gain anything by that process. Mueller's made them about 10 years ago.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Why milk? It's the caesin in the milk that does the binding, so why not use something like a hide glue instead to get more caesin? And why not thin it with alcohol to better carry it into the fibers of the leather, then quickly evaporate, leaving only the binder? Just some questions to stir the pot :) Soaking tips in milk is akin to using foot pedals to power a lathe. It works if you got the time & desire to so, but there are faster, easier, more effective ways.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My stupid question, and it could be a template question for all the things cuemakers are trying to do.

This milk dudding is a process. It's a science process. It's a materials and chemistry process. It's a manufacturing process.

Have you ever considered actually asking experts in the above about what you're trying to do? It could save years of experimenting and tinkering.

Or you could happily reinvent a square wheel.

Freddie <~~~ would rather not

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Just some questions to stir the pot :) Soaking tips in milk is akin to using foot pedals to power a lathe. It works if you got the time & desire to so, but there are faster, easier, more effective ways.

I wish you would have shared this sooner. My legs are tired....:rolleyes:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why milk? It's the caesin in the milk that does the binding, so why not use something like a hide glue instead to get more caesin? And why not thin it with alcohol to better carry it into the fibers of the leather, then quickly evaporate, leaving only the binder? Just some questions to stir the pot :) Soaking tips in milk is akin to using foot pedals to power a lathe. It works if you got the time & desire to so, but there are faster, easier, more effective ways.

I am probably the only cue shop in the country that has a working pedal lathe. And I have definitely found better ways to do things. If it were not covered up with storage stuff it would at least make a good conversation piece for those who come to my shop.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I am probably the only cue shop in the country that has a working pedal lathe. And I have definitely found better ways to do things. If it were not covered up with storage stuff it would at least make a good conversation piece for those who come to my shop.

Bring it the show and do repairs on it!