Were Gandy 5x10 foot snooker tables American Snooker tables using full sized balls?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gandy 5x10 foot snooker tables American Snooker tables using full sized balls?

Opinions on Gandy quality for this table.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think so, even American Snooker is played using 2-1/8" balls. It is my understanding that the 2-1/4" snooker balls sold here in the states are used for playing Snooker Pool, which is just Snooker on a standard pool table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been a regular at three different 'halls that had 5x10 snooker tables. I don't think i've seen twenty games of snooker in 40yrs. They were all used for golf and payball.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned shotmaking with pool balls on various snooker tables. Didn't do much banking but they would have been sharper and faster than on pool rails. The snooker sets were always snooker sized. I recommend anybody with access to a snooker table to get the owners permission to use pool balls on it. Don't slam the jaws and they won't mind.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve used American balls on my snooker table for over 25 years. Rails and pockets as good as new.

Unlike most people, I’ve never noticed any more difference between rails on a snooker and Pool table than between two brands of pool tables . Folks always claim there is a big difference but I Wonder how much actual experience they have on a Variety of snooker tables.

If a difference, minimal impact compared to the napped cloth. Rail height might be slightly different but, as stated, I don’t notice.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gandy 5x10 foot snooker tables American Snooker tables using full sized balls?

Opinions on Gandy quality for this table.

Is this the same table that ideologist is selling right now??? Either way, ask him.

When I played American Snooker, the balls were in between pool ball and International snooker ball sizes... about 2 1/8” dia.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When I was a kid, there were a lot of 5x10 snooker tables in America.
Away from the big cities, some rooms were half and half.
The balls were 2&1/8 but were actually a tad lighter than world regulation.
There were some great snooker players that may’ve beat world champions in their own room.
Sam Blumenthal...Jacksonville
Dick Huntzinger....Pensacola
Fred Salem ...Detroit
Norman Hitchcock...Oklahoma City
Marcel Camp...Miami
Ronnie Allen...west coast
Tacoma Whitey...guess where
Denny Searcy....Frisco
Fat Bill...Phoenix
.....etc

And anybody who is not aware of the different heights of snooker and pool rails...
...can not kick like Efren

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Is this the same table that ideologist is selling right now??? Either way, ask him.

When I played American Snooker, the balls were in between pool ball and International snooker ball sizes... about 2 1/8” dia.

He was asking because I wasn't sure, it's in storage and I'm not on site

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve used American balls on my snooker table for over 25 years. Rails and pockets as good as new.

Unlike most people, I’ve never noticed any more difference between rails on a snooker and Pool table than between two brands of pool tables . Folks always claim there is a big difference but I Wonder how much actual experience they have on a Variety of snooker tables.

If a difference, minimal impact compared to the napped cloth. Rail height might be slightly different but, as stated, I don’t notice.

There's an 1/8 inch of height difference in the ball, so we are talking a 16th higher at the center. Considering snooker cushions are flat, wouldn't be much difference.

Arsmith dies sell 2 1/4 inch standard pool ball size snooker sets.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The standard size of balls on American snooker tables has been 2 1/8" as mentioned above. Some people play with 2 1/4" pool balls for more challenge. The international standard is about 2 1/16" but it's specified in metric as 52.5mm.

American snooker tables that I've seen have cushion rubber profiles like pool and carom tables. 12-foot (international standard) snooker tables have L-profile rubber like this:

CropperCapture[116].jpg

The L-profile rubber reacts differently to speed and spin.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There's an 1/8 inch of height difference in the ball, so we are talking a 16th higher at the center. Considering snooker cushions are flat, wouldn't be much difference.

Arsmith dies sell 2 1/4 inch standard pool ball size snooker sets.

Almost every American snooker table I played on...and it was a lot...had pool type rubber.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think table mechanics will tell you there's a height zone with cushions that does indeed affect how and how fast a ball leaves the nose. With the weather stripped 12' ers like Dufferins. There is less in out cancellation making the height less relevant and the rebounds very springy.