What exactly is Placement Pool?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Earl’s commentary on the Billiard Network he often brings up Placement Pool and how it eliminates luck from the game. I’ve never heard of it before. What exactly is it and how is the winner determined?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t know Earl invented it. Anybody aware of the rules?

Must be played on table with 3 pockets.
Cue must be between 65-80 inches.
No jump cues.
Must be verified to have multiple personalities.

I believe his idea is to have set layouts.
Getting progressively more difficult each round.
That way each player gets a fair chance to
complete the same challenge.

I played a game like this based on golf holes.
18 layouts- made in the fewest # of shots.
Don't remember what it was called.
Edit- this is it http://billiardsaddiction.com/billiard-golf-wall-mounted-scoreboard-game/
Not exactly what Earl was talking about.
I think he means the balls are in set positions
all over the table.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Earl’s commentary on the Billiard Network he often brings up Placement Pool and how it eliminates luck from the game. I’ve never heard of it before. What exactly is it and how is the winner determined?
You're asking for a clear, cogent explanation of something, ANYTHING, that came out of Earl's mouth?? A squad of AMA-certified shrinks wouldn't take on that task. ;)

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is what we play now, balls are placed in the rack, equally for all, then 'broke' and

players try to limit chances at the table for their opponent. (Sarcasm) I guess it is

something along the lines of each player having a shot at the same table, or he could

mean that you have to call the spot the cue ball travels to the next one. With Earl it could

be any of these.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is what we play now, balls are placed in the rack, equally for all, then 'broke' and

players try to limit chances at the table for their opponent. (Sarcasm) I guess it is

something along the lines of each player having a shot at the same table, or he could

mean that you have to call the spot the cue ball travels to the next one. With Earl it could

be any of these.

The way he talks about it is like it is an established type of game. I wasn't aware that it exists solely in Earl's world! :grin:

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was on SVBs Facebook stream doing it. He just sets up all 15 balls in a way that are runable and shoots them. I imagine once he realizes every player he can’t beat anymore can do it better than him he will stop talking about it. Like he did with the 10ft table and the table with no side pockets.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were events in ca decades ago where all players would play a preset group of layouts and lowest overall shot total to pocket all balls on all tables won.

I forget the name of the game but believe it was kim davenport who was associated with it.

I forgot the name of the game, but the layouts- or at least the opportunity to purchase them- were online at some point. Unable to locate them last time I looked.

I forget the name of the game.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201022-211411.jpg
    Screenshot_20201022-211411.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 224

gerryf

Earl described it as a game where one person breaks and tries to run out.

Then the second person sets up the balls the same way, and he tries to run out.

He thought it took some of the luck out.