Pool Not Being Fun Anymore?

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4) I'd say I agree with anybody that said anything related to not having goals. I became a 9 because I wanted to compete with good players but I really don't have any overarching goals when it comes to pool anymore - I want to get lessons to improve BUT I'm not sure how worthwhile that is anymore.
Well, there is always the fact that you took the time to open this topic, and days later you still remembered that and you came back to see what people replied. So apparently, you must still care a little bit about pool and your game in particular!

Just need to let the notion sink in that it's not gonna get better the way it's going right now. Just wanting or hoping things will get better is not gonna do it. I think a whole new perspective about your game has to take form in your head before anything will change. An entirely new outlook on what you're gonna do with pool.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
You really need to read "The Pleasure of Small Motions". It has done wonders for me with the mental aspect of where pool really belongs in my life. It doesn't and shouldn't define who you are it's just something you do to pass time ultimately.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You really need to read "The Pleasure of Small Motions". It has done wonders for me with the mental aspect of where pool really belongs in my life. It doesn't and shouldn't define who you are it's just something you do to pass time ultimately.

Excellent book!

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try learning ONE POCKET! It will either make you break your cue and quit or it will make you wanna play more!!! Be sure to find some good players willing to put up with you being "new" to the game.

I have never wanted to break a cue before, until I started playing one pocket. So, I took a couple weeks off from it and that helped tremendously.

It is such a challenging game, but, once you start to figure it out a little, it may make you a one pocket junkie!

You mentioned getting lessons from Scott Lee, pursue that, he is one of the best. Having good fundamentals will no doubt gain you some confidence and most likely send you in a good direction.

Good luck to you!

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

Don't really agree with this post. Someone bored with pool is not going to rediscover it from one pocket. It might be a good game (especially as a strategic game) but really it only appeals to the most hardcore of pool players. I am pretty into pool but trying to focus on one pocket would just make me quit pool forever. I find it tedious.

I would also not recommend Scott Lee for lessons, his approach is really very proscriptive and again for the really hard core pool player.

I have experienced and am experiencing the same ambivalence as the original poster, and to be honest it is in my opinion a function of league play. First of all, league becomes like a job where you "have" to play pool. Second, it gets really really old spending hours a week watching really bad players. I actually enjoyed that element of APA in the beginning, because a lot of the lower level playes just LOVE pool which is awesome, but over time it has just become tedious and boring to watch, especially since on my teams I have to watch really close and take/give time outs.

I have also become really bored playing lower level players to the point that I tend to not even try and lose a lot, I find it difficult to just get the killer instinct and level of concentration needed to play at my highest level.

But if I choose to play, or go practice, or play in a tournament I have a lot of fun. For me it is the league thing that is sapping the fun out of pool for me.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you mentioned Scot Lee...that is my recommendation. At 74 years old, I had Scott come over and spend about 6 hours. His video equipment and method of instruction could not have been better. After two years his techniques have stayed with me. If you would like to discuss it just PM me.

With that having been said...your improvements may give you more incentive to play whether it be to practice, play in a league, or compete with others.

By the way, One Pocket is a great game but it can be taxing to learn. So here is a suggestion for learning One Pocket. Play it with partners...experienced partners...AND ALLOW COACHING ON EVERY SHOT.

DarkPoseidon6

Registered
Hey guys,

So... pool just doesn't seem that fun to me anymore. When I'm at a table I mostly feel like I can't concentrate all that much and I end up just free-wheeling around the table for a little while. I haven't won a league match in like 7 weeks now (as a 9) mostly because I have some weird mental disconnect right now - I get frustrated in ways I never used to and it's taking less and less for me to get to that point BUT this is only related to pool/while at a table.

I was thinking about getting lessons from Scott Lee because I thought that maybe improving my stroke so I could pocket more consistently would help but the lesson fell through and now I'm wondering if it'd even be worth it for me to take a lesson if I'm just falling out of enjoying playing pool.

Any of you guys ever go through weird periods like this?

I think everyone goes through this - at least most players...

But I think a question is in order here - At the height of your playing, what was it that got you fired up the most to be into the game? That might be the key to this.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9ft Diamond that I haven't hit a ball on for 6 months. Just busy as heck with work

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

So... pool just doesn't seem that fun to me anymore. When I'm at a table I mostly feel like I can't concentrate all that much and I end up just free-wheeling around the table for a little while. I haven't won a league match in like 7 weeks now (as a 9) mostly because I have some weird mental disconnect right now - I get frustrated in ways I never used to and it's taking less and less for me to get to that point BUT this is only related to pool/while at a table.

I was thinking about getting lessons from Scott Lee because I thought that maybe improving my stroke so I could pocket more consistently would help but the lesson fell through and now I'm wondering if it'd even be worth it for me to take a lesson if I'm just falling out of enjoying playing pool.

Could be posture issues, take a break from pool and go out and do some exercise. When your body's better, you'll eventually pot or stroke better.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread inspired me and gave me a goal. I decided not to go to California, so nothing better to do. That is to get and keep my chin on the cue. Tonight was the first time I polished my balls this year lol and still yet to wipe the table down. Counting tonight, I probably have no more than 20 hours table time this year. Tonight, I spent 4 hours straight just shooting long straight in shots with my chin on the cue. I ended up placing duct tape on the floor to retrain my feet placement to get my chin on the cue.

I did 3 videos of a not so perfect start and a little better at the end. I'll upload the final with the pocket reducers and will upload the others later in the week. I think I only got 7 in a row with the pocket reducers and the only time I missed any balls, but plenty with not so good strokes and they went in without the pocket reducers. I can usually run a rack of straight in shots without missing with the pocket reducers without my chin on the cue.

Edit: The upload keeps refreshing and saying another hour. I'm going to bed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191211-034852_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191211-034852_Gallery.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Don't really agree with this post. Someone bored with pool is not going to rediscover it from one pocket. It might be a good game (especially as a strategic game) but really it only appeals to the most hardcore of pool players. I am pretty into pool but trying to focus on one pocket would just make me quit pool forever. I find it tedious.

I would also not recommend Scott Lee for lessons, his approach is really very proscriptive and again for the really hard core pool player.

I have experienced and am experiencing the same ambivalence as the original poster, and to be honest it is in my opinion a function of league play. First of all, league becomes like a job where you "have" to play pool. Second, it gets really really old spending hours a week watching really bad players. I actually enjoyed that element of APA in the beginning, because a lot of the lower level playes just LOVE pool which is awesome, but over time it has just become tedious and boring to watch, especially since on my teams I have to watch really close and take/give time outs.

I have also become really bored playing lower level players to the point that I tend to not even try and lose a lot, I find it difficult to just get the killer instinct and level of concentration needed to play at my highest level.

But if I choose to play, or go practice, or play in a tournament I have a lot of fun. For me it is the league thing that is sapping the fun out of pool for me.

You just described me to a tee. Pool has become more fun exponentially since I quit my double jeopardy APA team. I play scotch doubles, masters and tournaments now and it has just made a world of difference.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
The first time I left a weekly tournament and went home while sitting in the hot seat waiting for the bracket to catch up on a work night is the moment I realized the honeymoon was over and the relationship had matured.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not about winning. It's not about losing. It's not about amassing a cue collection. It's not about a gambling score. It's about experiencing a series of moments in time that bring meaning and happiness to your life. Meeting people. Building relationships. Finding that meditative state where nothing else is happening but you and the game. Finding perfection, however brief. Learning to focus. Learning to tune out negativity. Learning to bring out the best in yourself. Everything else is inconsequential. This is why I will always love pool.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Hey guys,

So is it just pool that isn't fun anymore? Have you gone through anything like this before?

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all of the responses guys - anybody who said that I lack a goal was absolutely spot on because that was 100% true. I haven't been "hungry" in a while - pretty much ever since I became a 9 and haven't been able to play many tournaments.

Honestly, I didn't even realize this until league night about 2 weeks ago when an opponent was shit talking me before the match; I know he was joking but it kinda bugged me. I wasn't even supposed to play that night but we had somebody not show up which changed the numbers we could throw so I played with my girlfriend's cues AND turns out that breaking with a break cue made a big difference.

That same night one of the other 9s in the league was playing matches for a separate league and was messing around with the break - I asked him to teach me how he breaks to make the wing ball. Went into my match with a different break and a break cue - no more scratches and I routinely made a ball and had shape on the one in the side. Won 75 to 14 with 4 break and runs.

Soooo.. I ended up ordering a new break cue to replace the one I sold like a year ago. I actually never would have thought that a break cue would make that much difference on a 7 foot table. Turns out that being able to break softer and more square matters. XD