All Time Classiest Pro Sports People

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Yes, perhaps because he stopped competing about 80 years ago. If you're old enough that you remember him well, I'd love to hear some Lou Gehrig stories.

Well, he is pretty famous. Him and that Baby Ruth guy.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I've watched some videos of Earl from the '90s and he wasn't like that back then- at least in the clips I've seen. He was actually very gracious towards the crowd and his opponents back then. Don't know exactly when his attitude changed

About the same time Efren started getting all the attention.

Maniac

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Bobby Orr was the greatest. My dad used to work as maintenance man at Harvard University Hockey Rink and I used to watch the Bruins practice all the time. After every practice I would jump on the ice and try to skate around with the players and Bobby was one of the only ones that ever skated with me joking around. Great feeling for a kid passing around the puck with a legend.

Here you go:

Attachments

• Bobby Orr.jpg
    Bobby Orr.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 177

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Bobby Orr was the greatest. My dad used to work as maintenance man at Harvard University Hockey Rink and I used to watch the Bruins practice all the time. After every practice I would jump on the ice and try to skate around with the players and Bobby was one of the only ones that ever skated with me joking around. Great feeling for a kid passing around the puck with a legend.

From a small town in Ontario

A7A8F171-C57D-4AFC-8A17-19AE3B0A6415.jpeg

Some citizens want to change the name to Orrville

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Jean Belliveau. Odd that the Sport known most for toughness produces gentlemen.

Football... Franz Beckenbauer, Pele

Golf...Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer
Tennis...Bjorn Borg
Boxing...George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard
Billiards...Reardon, Davis, Selby

Baseball....never watched

Basketball....never watched

Cricket....everybody

Rugby....nobody

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was a differnt Player back then. I saw him in Person at the Continental inn in Lexington ky in a big 9 bal tourny and he was very nice and signed a cue for me. I also met Jenette lee and Nick Varner . It was a great tournament and a lot of Cue dealers there. Earl seemed to at some point stop taking his meds maybe and his bi polar got the best of him. A good Friend of mine who knows Earl said that Earl had a deal with a pool hall in Nyc I believe and they told him he could live above it for free all he to do was give a lesson every day for 1hr and they charged for them . I believe he got free food , free room and board , free pool just for giving the 1 hr lesson. Earl comes down one morning and say's I don't feel like doing that today . So that ended his stay at the pool room . Do not know were he ended up. He burned thru all of his money . Sad

I think he is the House Pro at Sandcastle Billiards in New Jersey- that's probably closed right now though

blehnhard

Registered
Having played golf with Arnold Palmer 4 times, I gotta go with Arnie. True gentleman. My wife walked with Winnie during 2 of those rounds.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
And on the flip side, it seems like Michael Jordan is a complete asshole to anyone that says anything but "michael is the greatest". What a douchebag.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=eJ...&ved=0ahUKEwibkqfIqNjpAhXCBKYKHXFVBUcQ4dUDCAs

MJ, as a baller, was a perfectionist who drove himself into becoming the best player the game has known and he demanded the same from his teammates.. I agree there's a fine line between being an asshole and winner within the content of competition, however, the public saw a consummate professional.

i enjoyed what MJ brought to the game on the court and i also thought he was a great role model

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Jean Belliveau. Odd that the Sport known most for toughness produces gentlemen.

You nailed it for me on the hockey.....I used to talk about an all time great team...
...those were my first three picks....Belliveau will always be my favorite captain.