Great Ivory-free Tonkin Cue Underway

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Hi All,

I am excited about a new Pete Tonkin cue currently being built for me, and want to share some renderings of the cue that Pete developed for me
while we were in the process of designing the cue in advance of the build. The unique new software rendering program that Pete has developed
has made it easy for the two of us to have a clear understanding of expectations, and in a word, it is amazing.

Some quick thoughts:

* The cue is ivory-free, and can easily be a "world traveler".

* I worked with Pete by phone and we jointly developed a cue design, including selection of woods, veneers, inlays and specifications..

* Pete then used his unique new software rendering capabilities and brought to life (in a rendering) exactly what was in my mind`s eye.
To be perfectly clear, because of Pete`s overall cue design excellence I certainly provide and encourage his ongoing flexibility for modifications
as he sees fit during the construction process, but the renderings allow us to start "on the same page".

* I am very excited to have Pete building this cue for me, as it has been on my mind for quite some time.
This cue is certainly a Tonkin-design cue, but with my thoughts and ideas incorporated to my satisfaction.
And with a shared vision.

* I already have several stellar Tonkin cues in my home as part of the very best cues in my collection.
This one will fit nicely with the others and will be a welcome addition.

* I give a very, very, very high thumbs up on the overall cue acquisition experience, particularly aided by the rendering process.

* I don`t post cues often in the gallery, but wanted to let others be aware of Pete`s cue design phase with his new, unique and thoroughly rewarding rendering capability.

* I look forward to posting pictures of the cue after it is built. :thumbup:

(Edit: Sorry the pictures are so large, I thought they would be smaller. I will try to re-do them. In their current size you do, however, get a very clear idea of the cue to be built)

Will Prout

Attachments

• RENDER1.jpg
    RENDER1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,598
Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
just trying to make the pictures smaller. Didn`t work.............:sorry::eek:

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Great looking cue. Nice when you can get an accurate feel of the cue prior to the build.

JV

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great looking cue! The lines look clean and crisp. A forward design cue in every aespect! Can you share what material will be used for the white?

Congratulations on what will be a stellar addition to your already fabulous collection.

Thanks for sharing. All the best,
Phil

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I like it Will. What's the ETA?

Thanks for the nice comment.
ETA will be about 8 months. Not bad at all, considering the time to build along with having to fit into his existing work schedule.:thumbup:

Will

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Great looking cue! The lines look clean and crisp. A forward design cue in every aespect! Can you share what material will be used for the white?

Congratulations on what will be a stellar addition to your already fabulous collection.

Thanks for sharing. All the best,
Phil

Hi Phil,

I hope all is well and you are enjoying the Florida sun!
Thanks for the nice comments about the cue. I look forward to receiving a really nice looking cue.

To answer your inquiry:

Ferrules: Melamine
White Veneers: Bleached maple
Buttcap: Elforyn (A high grade ivory substitute)
White in rings: Silver-lip Mother of Pearl
"Blue" Inlays: Sapphire Blue Mother of Pearl
Silver: Pure
Ebony: Malagasy ebony (Finest black ebony in the world. Pete has owned the ebony for many years)

Stay in touch!

Will Prout

Last edited:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Phil,

I hope all is well and you are enjoying the Florida sun!
Thanks for the nice comments about the cue. I look forward to receiving a really nice looking cue.

To answer your inquiry:

Ferrules: Melamine
White Veneers: Bleached maple
Buttcap: Elforyn (A high grade ivory substitute)
White in rings: Silver-lip Mother of Pearl
"Blue" Inlays: Sapphire Blue Mother of Pearl
Silver: Pure
Ebony: Malagasy ebony (Finest black ebony in the world. Pete has owned the ebony for many years)

Stay in touch!

Will Prout

Thanks Will. The use of these material is excellent and a smart choice is such a hi end cue. I think it looks spectacular! Congratulations. TTY soon.
Phil

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hay Will

Dean played with a Juma joint Tonkin for a while. The hit was as solid as anything.
You might want to try it.
Nick :)

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful design. Unmistakably a Tonkin. The rendering is very interesting and the best I have seen. Congrats Will.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Very nice cue Will. I couldn't decide whether those veneers were blue or purple, but you clarified it with sapphire blue. They really jump out.

Hoot

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Dean played with a Juma joint Tonkin for a while. The hit was as solid as anything.
You might want to try it.
Nick :)

Nick,

In my opinion, for what that's worth, Juma is the best thing that ever happened for cue makers and players both.

Great hit, durability, easy to keep contaminants out, takes finish perfect and great machinability.

The Germans got right.

Rick

BTW, Pete is the finest CM of his generation, no doubt.:thumbup:

Last edited:

rdwell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tonkin

Fantastic cue Will, can't wait to see the finished product so please post some pictures when it is done. I love ebony cues as it just sets off everything that is in it. Thanks for sharing.
Randy

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like it'll be really nice, Will. Look forward to getting a peek when it's done.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Hi Will,

That Cue will fits nicely in your Huge awesome Collection.
Thanks for sharing your Ideas :thumbup:
Ralf

Hendrik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice. I'm waiting for a 4p with the same veneer colors. I can't wait to see the finished look

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Impressive

Very nice, Will! I love the ivory-free concept.
I find the computer generated graphic rendering
to be astonishing! What a wonderful idea that
ensures customer and builder are on the same
page. Pete is way ahead of the curve indeed :thumbup:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Fantastic cue Will, can't wait to see the finished product so please post some pictures when it is done. I love ebony cues as it just sets off everything that is in it. Thanks for sharing.
Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the nice comments. The cue will certainly be nice when done, what I am particularly pleased with is the unique rendering process
now incorporated into Pete's cue making process. The rendering can be modified easily to arrive at the desired cue to build.

By the way, we still need to finish our open cue discussion!! :thumbup:

Will

Last edited: