Who Has Played CJ??

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Here you go. In a recent poll 17 people said they could run 9 or more racks. There were 23 people who said they could run 8 or more racks. Seems these people should be able to compete with CJ

http://forums.azbilliards.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2609

If the poll had a 20 rack option, there would have been some 20 pack runners
It was not a public poll there for it means nothing.
Put a 20 rack option on the next private poll and watch the results

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So...CJ has played NOBODY for the cash?

Hard to play someone for the cash when they won't step up.

Where are the backers? Where are the ones who claim to bet their own?

The only offers he would get are from those who would demand near impossible spots in an effort to steal the cash. He is to smart for that.

He has offered to play cheap or high, No takers. Why?

How many takers did Bartram get when he listed who he would play, for how much and the spot?

When you have to have a spot you have already admitted who is the better player. Now it's just a matter of how can I screw this guy out of his money.
:thud:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I knew what you meant Freddie.

BTW, who was your favorite player to watch?

Great post Jay. I am 100% in agreement with this post and is exatly what I was trying convey in mine. How anyone thought I was doing anything else is unbelievable for me as CJ Wiley was my second favorite player to watch in his word championship form.

Freddie <~~~ CJ Wiley fan

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
How many takers did Bartram get when he listed who he would play, for how much and the spot?

:thud:

I thought the same thing, but interestingly enough, I wonder if Bartram would play CJ? I'd watch that for sure!

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played CJ last week. We agreed on an all around match. I hit a 3 railer to edge him out in banks. One pocket was close but my superior safety play took me to a win. We were hill - hill in 10 ball, I was lining up to sink the 10 ball on a long, thin cut ... my freaking wife elbowed me because I was sleeping on my back and snoring. I'm fairly sure I would have pocketed that shot but I guess we'll never know.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I knew what you meant Freddie.

BTW, who was your favorite player to watch?

Nick Varner. It prolly would have been Buddy, but I didn't see enough of Buddy. How Nick played 9-ball and 8-ball is how I understood the game to be played the right way pattern and strategically.

When CJ burst on the scene, everything he did just looked different. His cueball paths were different. His pace was different. Everything. Even today, there's nobody else I could compare CJ's style when he was at the top of his game. Maybe Kim Davemport, but CJ seemed to be more in control.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played CJ last week. We agreed on an all around match. I hit a 3 railer to edge him out in banks. One pocket was close but my superior safety play took me to a win. We were hill - hill in 10 ball, I was lining up to sink the 10 ball on a long, thin cut ... my freaking wife elbowed me because I was sleeping on my back and snoring. I'm fairly sure I would have pocketed that shot but I guess we'll never know.

Did you have your cue stick in your hand when you woke up? Was that a nightmare, or a dream? Wow! Some of my dreams seem so real!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would like to see him play Earl on a tight 5x10

I saw Earl play Landon Shuffett on a tight 5x10 table and it wasn't pretty. IMO Earl is not one of the game's elite players anymore on any table. He's still good but there are quite a few players I would take over him. He had an opportunity to play in the Bigfoot Challenge at DCC and declined. Enough said.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I saw Earl play Landon Shuffett on a tight 5x10 table and it wasn't pretty. IMO Earl is not one of the game's elite players anymore on any table. He's still good but there are quite a few players I would take over him. He had an opportunity to play in the Bigfoot Challenge at DCC and declined. Enough said.

He just beat SVB last week on the 10 footer so he must be still hitting them ok. :cool:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner. It prolly would have been Buddy, but I didn't see enough of Buddy. How Nick played 9-ball and 8-ball is how I understood the game to be played the right way pattern and strategically.

When CJ burst on the scene, everything he did just looked different. His cueball paths were different. His pace was different. Everything. Even today, there's nobody else I could compare CJ's style when he was at the top of his game. Maybe Kim Davemport, but CJ seemed to be more in control.

CJ had power and finesse to his game. Capable of coming with the big shot, but also equally capable of laying down a strong safety. He played a heads-up game, knowing when to charge and when to pull back. And his mental game was real strong, with little affecting him. I remember seeing him get upset over something, speaking his piece, and then just letting it go. Not many players can do that.

CJ was a fierce competitor, in the mold of Buddy or Parica. He was just not going to let you beat him, period! His heart got bigger as the bet got higher. Again, a trait shared by only the elite players.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
When he was in stroke in the 90s no one except maybe Earl was more fun to watch play 9ball fluid and ran out like water. I can say this I have taken many a road player on some trips and Dallas was one of about 5 cities that had a major roadblock

Well said Huck! No one went looking for CJ except maybe a certain Mr. Parica, who barred no one. :D

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Well lets get something set up! CJ said he would play any american pro even for the cash but save SVB for last. I say start off with John in a rematch, Cliff in some one pocket, Bartrum in a rotation game or Corey in anything and lets see what happens. No gaff tables, rules or nonsense just pool on a 9footer like everyone plays on now. I think that if he wins those bring on Johnny. JCIN says no go on TAR so BIGTRUCK or Accu stats set something up.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I agree, it's important to "face" reality. The problem is my reality's getting ironic, even paradoxical at times.

FOR EXAMPLE:

On this Pool Forum players are debating whether I'm "past my prime" and "too old" to play a game as grueling and physically demanding as pocket billiards.

On the contrary - I receive a letter this weekend from the founder of "Pool, Poker, and Pain" that I won't be allowed to compete against "the young inexperienced USA Pool Professionals" at the recreational "game" of P.P.&P.:confused:

I guess I"m either "too old, or too young" for both ends of the spectrum, however the "spectrum's" are confusing, I wonder what's coming next?.......The "Plot of Pool" thickens ;) 'The Game is the Teacher'

While I wouldn't even try you at $20 a rack, I'd gladly Paypal you $20 right now if you stop saying "The Game Is The Teacher" in every post.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Earl play Landon Shuffett on a tight 5x10 table and it wasn't pretty.

What an absurd argument. Didn't he beat Shane in the prior round of that tournament?

For the record, I agree that Earl isn't an elite player any more, but he can still beat basically anybody on his day, and using a tournament where he beat arguably the world's best player as an example otherwise just makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is correct. At one time during Efren's peak, CJ chased him all over the country to play him for SERIOUS money, tens of K's per set! And that was 20 years ago. They played several times (9-Ball and Ten Ball) and CJ ended up winners. He can tell you more.

Were they playing even?

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it was an ugly match with numerous missed balls by both players. Sorry to have to tell you this but I was there. ;)

I've seen the match, and it did get scrappy near the end, but there was still some quality play in there. And I know you were there, but it's on youtube, too ;).