Magic Chalk

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Anybody who plays pool on a regular basis and tries Magic Chalk would switch if they did a blind test. I guarantee it, unless they get off on paying $30 bucks for a piece of chalk.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
So after trying out a ton of different chalk, I have to update my review. Magic Chalk is the best chalk I have used to date. Every other chalk I tried just didn't compare. Some chalk was to hard, some got everywhere when you chalked up, and some didn't stay on the tip very well. I am receiving some Great White Chalk soon and will see how it stands up to Magic Chalk. Thank you ChicagoRJ for my free piece, it has converted me.

I have tried,

Kamui chalk
Lava Chalk
Master Pre-Flag
Mike Massey chalk
Predator Chalk
Triangle chalk

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
So after trying out a ton of different chalk, I have to update my review. Magic Chalk is the best chalk I have used to date. Every other chalk I tried just didn't compare. Some chalk was to hard, some got everywhere when you chalked up, and some didn't stay on the tip very well. I am receiving some Great White Chalk soon and will see how it stands up to Magic Chalk. Thank you ChicagoRJ for my free piece, it has converted me.

I have tried,

Kamui chalk
Lava Chalk
Master Pre-Flag
Mike Massey chalk
Predator Chalk
Triangle chalk

The best advertising is a satisfied customer. Thanks, and shoot well ;)

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shot 5 racks of straight today.

Thoroughly cleaned my cloth, used Aramith Polish on all the balls, same cue, same tip, and doing my same 50 year old and identical PSR.

I was most impressed with the near lack of any cast off.

I normally use BD, and Master when it's humid.

My subjective rating is that MC is c. 50% as messy as Master, and a whopping 25% as messy compared to BD.

On extreme shots, BD gives me distinct 4" cast off residue lines, whereas the MC merely left a faint line of cast off. Most all of the MC cue ball residue was faint, compared to the very distinct BD spots.

You may disagree, but all my variables remained as constant as I was able to keep them.

The results were so dramatic, that if BD is rated as clean, then it may be a function of the tip being used. I made a distinct effort to only lightly paint the tip with the BD, and made no such effort with the MC.

I suspect this stuff may contain Kryponite! :wink: Damn, this chalk is really phenomenal!

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Not surprised, Amazing review...

Thoroughly cleaned my cloth, used Aramith Polish on all the balls, same cue, same tip, and doing my same 50 year old and identical PSR.

My subjective rating is that MC is c. 50% as messy as Master, and a whopping 25% as messy compared to BD.

On extreme shots, BD gives me distinct 4" cast off residue lines, whereas the MC merely left a faint line of cast off. Most all of the MC cue ball residue was faint, compared to the very distinct BD spots.

You may disagree, but all my variables remained as constant as I was able to keep them.

The results were so dramatic, that if BD is rated as clean, then it may be a function of the tip being used. I made a distinct effort to only lightly paint the tip with the BD, and made no such effort with the MC.

I suspect this stuff may contain Kryponite! :wink: Damn, this chalk is really phenomenal!

Although the results don't surprise me, the assessment involved is very impressive. Also the chalk is not from kryptonite, it is ground up smurfs. lol

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Great to hear Bob. I'm glad you liked Magic Chalk, and it performed as advertised. Though, the buyers constant feedback is probably fueling the demand, since I could be a snake oil salesman for all they know. But feedback just like yours and the many others who have said the same thing is tough to ignore. Shoot well :thumbup:

sprben83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably not gonna fuel the demand since I'm relatively new and nobody really knows me, but I wanna throw my two cents in if anyone wanted to read another review. I've used kamui and blue diamond in the past, kamui made a huge mess towards the end of its life, and blue diamond wasn't bad. I got the magic chalk from RJ in on Friday, and took it for a spin Sunday and Monday. I'm a believer. I played five games of eight ball with it having only chalked five times. Two of those five times weren't even warranted, as the tip still had a full blue hue, but since I was canvassing the table I just took it out and chalked, force of habit lol. The best part about it, table was clean after finishing, and my hands, clean also. Even though blue diamond isn't bad, I did have to chalk more with it, and the way I chalk always gets chalk in between my ring and middle finger. Clean as a whistle. Glad I decided to try this out, very very pleased with magic chalk. Might have to sell my box of BD and get more

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, the most noticeable, and probably the only significant difference between it and most any other chalks out there, is table cleanliness.

I could care less if I might go 129 shots without any miscues. I chalk each and every shot because of my PSR, and considering the cost of chalk, I think doing anything less is merely courting disaster. Magic doesn't over-apply and become any less clean to use even when using it before each shot.

Probably one of the most blatant examples of false economy I can think of. Perhaps convenient, but my mind just doesn't work that way.

Between my table, cue and miscellaneous accouterments, I guess I've got c. $6,000 tied up in my game. It's my hobby and I think the investment is all well and good, but the cost contribution of chalk is infinitesimal; save for Kamui which I never bought because the price was simply ludicrous and totally unjustifiable, as in, "When I get screwed, I like to be kissed."

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Can someone find out if Dennis Searing uses Magic Chalk, then we can put the subject to rest. j/k obviously..

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Probably not gonna fuel the demand since I'm relatively new and nobody really knows me, but I wanna throw my two cents in if anyone wanted to read another review. I've used kamui and blue diamond in the past, kamui made a huge mess towards the end of its life, and blue diamond wasn't bad. I got the magic chalk from RJ in on Friday, and took it for a spin Sunday and Monday. I'm a believer. I played five games of eight ball with it having only chalked five times. Two of those five times weren't even warranted, as the tip still had a full blue hue, but since I was canvassing the table I just took it out and chalked, force of habit lol. The best part about it, table was clean after finishing, and my hands, clean also. Even though blue diamond isn't bad, I did have to chalk more with it, and the way I chalk always gets chalk in between my ring and middle finger. Clean as a whistle. Glad I decided to try this out, very very pleased with magic chalk. Might have to sell my box of BD and get more

Glad you liked it. I can only talk it up so much, the real "marketing" is from the folks like you who plucked down their hard earned money and gave it a go. Shoot well !

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appears Bavafongoul is in the minority here.....
However I agree with most of what he has said!
I don't want my chalk to stay on my tip for a couple of dozen of shots.
I have a pre shot routine that means my tip is chalked every couple of shots.

A lot of my enjoyment from pool comes from winning.
I don't see any of the chalks making this more likely...When one comes along, I will be very interested.
I don't care about dirty hands, I can wash them.
I don't care about a dirty table, it can be cleaned before and after the match.

I would use any of the chalks tested.
But I am lazy and sometimes forget to wipe all the chalk off my tip before I put my shaft away and because I don't like cleaning my ferrule, I am currently using White silver cup...It works.

On the test it only lasts 7...At still at least 4 better than I need
IMO

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It appears Bavafongoul is in the minority here.....
However I agree with most of what he has said!
I don't want my chalk to say on my tip for a couple of dozen of shots.
I have a pre shot routine that means my tip is chalked every couple of shots.

A lot of my enjoyment from pool comes from winning.
I don't see any of the chalks making this more likely...When ones comes along, I will be very interested.
I don't care about dirty hands, I can wash them.
I don't care about a dirty table, it can be cleaned before and after the match.

I use any of the chalks tested.
But I am lazy and sometimes forget the wipe all the chalk off my tip before I put my shaft away and because I don't like cleaning my ferrule, I am currently using White silver cup...It works.

On the test it only lasts 7...At still at least 4 better than I need
IMO

Ah, but you can chalk after every shot with MC, did someone insinuate you could not. It does not build up.

And you don't care about dirty shafts and hands, but use white chalk so the dirt does not show up... it's still there, but just goes to show, you still care about your equipment now matter how much of a fight you put up ;) Play well.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, but you can chalk after every shot with MC, did someone insinuate you could not. It does not build up.

And you don't care about dirty shafts and hands, but use white chalk so the dirt does not show up... it's still there, but just goes to show, you still care about your equipment now matter how much of a fight you put up ;) Play well.

Sorry if I have mislead you.
I am not saying anything bad about your product, it appears to be extremely popular and I wish you every success....I have never tried it here in the UK.

All I am saying is that if I chalk at least every couple of shots using any brand that was tested (except kamui, which I would not use out of principle) would not help me to win more.

Yes I do clean my shaft because it affects my stroke. It is the ferrule that I don't clean as often as I should....So in-between cleans, white chalk on a white ferrule is less distracting to my eye.

I will definitely get round to trying your chalk.

The world would be boring if everyone had the same opinion.

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry if I have mislead you.
I am not saying anything bad about your product, it appears to be extremely popular and I wish you every success....I have never tried it here in the UK.

All I am saying is that if I chalk at least every couple of shots using any brand that was tested (except kamui, which I would not use out of principle) would not help me to win more.

Yes I do clean my shaft because it affects my stroke. It is the ferrule that I don't clean as often as I should....So in-between cleans, white chalk on a white ferrule is less distracting to my eye.

I will definitely get round to trying your chalk.

The world would be boring if everyone had the same opinion.
Magic Chalk also grabs better. You end up getting more action on the cue ball, when you want to. For whatever that is worth to you.

suharsh

Registered
I got couple of boxes last week and in this category of chalks, Magic Chalk was the best. The price range is in same range as BD and such. Even though I am relatively new in the pool world, I have tried quite a few chalks - Masters, Silver Cup, Pioneer, BD, NIR, Predator, Triangle, Balubushka, Morakami and Elephant Pyramid (while noting these ... just realized that is quite a few I have tried). From the contemporary chalks - looks like LAVA is the only one I haven't tried. I guess will try that too.

I don't really care where Magic Chalk is made - in fact I never wondered where the others were made :) It is a great chalk. I am not a run- out player so I do chalk using Magic Chalk couple of times a game.

Having said all this, I still like the Mascara chalk on harder tips and especially some break tips.