Classless Earl Strickland

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are lot of assholes in this world. A lot of them post on AZB! Yet _NONE_ of them will come close to being a Earl "The Pearl" Strickland. He's a master of his craft and is an American icon PERIOD.

If you value respect, show a some to a man who has accomplished things you can only fantasize about.

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are lot of assholes in this world. A lot of them post on AZB! Yet _NONE_ of them will come close to being a Earl "The Pearl" Strickland. He's a master of his craft and is an American icon PERIOD.

If you value respect, show a some to a man who has accomplished things you can only fantasize about.

Greenie o you sir! Hit the nail right on he head. :clapping:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Well.....

somewhere a guy posted something like "playing the good guy" and "playing the bad guy"-

Difference (important difference): Efren is not *playing* or *acting*-- he s just himself. He shows who he is- and that s something you should learn while growing up- no matter what kind of sport you do (and ofc also in real life).
It never helps to complain- never- it just forces to take yourself downwards into the spiral of negativity!

He learnt from the things he ran through- and used it for him to have advantages from it.
Efren takes everything as *basicaly good*-- and that s something some ppl never will understand how important this is, and how much easier things can get with this kind of attitude- very similar to some "Zen Stuff".

may everyone have a smooth stroke.

lg from overseas,

Ingo

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Let's get something straight here. My only interest is in running a good PROFESSIONAL tournament, and how the players behave during the event is essential to that happening. As a tournament director I will not put up with unsportsmanlike conduct by anyone, in whatever form that takes. Pool is supposed to be a sport of gentlemen and it will be on my watch!

This year we have introduced the Robles Sportsmanship Award to be given to the most deserving player, to recognize him or her for how they conduct themselves as a player and person.

Those of you who think that Earl's behavior is acceptable in the course of a major professional event are part of the problem. Condoning such behavior only reinforces in Earl's mind that it's all right to carry on like he does. If his medical condition is so bad that he cannot control himself, then he shouldn't be playing.

Jay, I don't care how you run a tournament, that is not what we are talking about. You called the guy a "moron". I never said you could not run a tourney the way you want, and if you want to kick him out every time, I'm not gonna complain about that either. But because they guy "barks", and that is all he's doing, you're gonna insult the guy, and call him a moron. Geez, lighten up Francis.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, I don't care how you run a tournament, that is not what we are talking about. You called the guy a "moron". I never said you could not run a tourney the way you want, and if you want to kick him out every time, I'm not gonna complain about that either. But because they guy "barks", and that is all he's doing, you're gonna insult the guy, and call him a moron. Geez, lighten up Francis.

I stand by my earlier comments. By the way, you saying that he "barks" is another way of making excuses for his classless behavior. He does a lot more than bark.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh, the hypocrisy...

It's because of this "moron" that people like you and many others are still working in the pool industry by selling books, DVDs and whatever other crap to the real morons out there. If you, Sir, were a serious tournament director and you (honestly) didn't want Earl to come anywhere near your tournament (which is in your rights), all you had to do is simply ban him or disqualify him for bad behavior. Simple as that. But you 'll never do it, because the "moron" is still bringing the cash in for you to eat and still adds extra glamour to every tournament he enters.

This is a fine example why snooker is a gazillion times ahead of pool (at least American pool). Boy, they have dealt with quite a few morons but I have never heard a governing body official, tournament director etc. EVER allow himself to use such an expression for players.

Best comment by far!

The only classless thing in here is this thread.

FYI I have banned Earl more than once to events that I was putting on. Plus I've put a lot more money in Earl's pocket than he has ever put in mine.

You are correct, there was a time when Earl was an asset to a tournament, but those days are long since gone. Whatever fate has befallen Earl he has brought on himself. A wise man will take responsibility for his own actions. And some prefer to blame others for their circumstances.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, because it was such a classy move. well played Jay.

I'm just tired of hearing everybody make excuses for poor Earl. No one is helping him any by feeling sorry for him. Whatever has happened to him it's of his own making. Yes, he WAS a great pool player once and now he's just a caricature of himself. For me it's sad, bewildering and maddening to see what he's become.

Maybe I should have stayed quiet and not said anything, but when I see all the excuse-niks chiming in here, I felt I had to tell my truth about Earl. After all I know him from the beginning. I was TD of the Caesars Tahoe tournament in 1982 where he beat the Miz in the finals. Nothing I say here I wouldn't say (and have said) to Earl's face.

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
I'm just tired of hearing everybody make excuses for poor Earl. No one is helping him any by feeling sorry for him. Whatever has happened to him it's of his own making. Yes, he WAS a great pool player once and now he's just a caricature of himself. For me it's sad, bewildering and maddening to see what he's become.

Maybe I should have stayed quiet and not said anything, but when I see all the excuse-niks chiming in here, I felt I had to tell my truth about Earl. After all I know him from the beginning. I was TD of the Caesars Tahoe tournament in 1982 where he beat the Miz in the finals. Nothing I say here I wouldn't say (and have said) to Earl's face.

HI The trouble with Earle is that be beats himself and if he would
keep it to himself he would beat a lot of players

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To you folks who aren't sure of the bipolar thing, he definitely is. They talk about it in the documentary about him - towards the end, if memory serves.

A person doesn't have to declare they have bi-polar for it to be true. Most who have it, either don't know it, or don't agree that they have it.

A skilled person can spot it in others however. I personally am not an expert, but I know people with bi-polar, and its not exactly a match for how Earl acts......

"self-centered" would be a better diagnoses

EDIT - I would also add, that "bad guys" often draw a lot of people to watch a sporting event.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
EDIT - I would also add, that "bad guys" often draw a lot of people to watch a sporting event.

There's the good kind of "bad guy" that is a draw and makes people want to root against him, and then there's "Earl bad", which just makes everyone shake their heads in disgust and want to get up and leave.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is hillarious and a grumpy pussy cat

if he was calling a 17 year old opponent a retard than clearly that kid's daddy never taught him how to man up, lmfao

not everyone behaves as you want them to, is what it is, he is what he is, greatest pool player on earth for a nice stretch, god bless him

The kid showed tremendous maturity, didn't let Earl get to him and beat him.

To be honest, I am not sure if I would have shown the same restraint.

over60pirate

Registered
OK, maybe I just hadn't realised how much of an a$$hole he actually is. I knew all about the complaining, but didn't realise how much he disrespects his opponents.

I saw him outside having a cigarette just after he lost. Said "Beautiful Day eh!".. He just turned his back on me. I thought it was nice dishing a little back ;)

I think if I saw him after he lost, I would want to say, "Boy,you really sucked in there"

I was Allison, Kelly, Jasmin, and Ga-Young, play at Immokallee yesterday, and talking to and getting autographs was a pleasure. Even after some had lost. Nice ladies.

After Ga-Young's semi win, and she would be playing Allison, I said to her, "Allison's in trouble" She replied, Yeah, I know" !

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member

You make a good point that you have had direct and prolonged experience with him in competition. Most of us here have only seen him for brief moments in time, either in person or tv. This to me is like how NFL referees that are in position sitting right in front of the play and have done this job for decades are in a far better position to make the call than anyone in the stands or watching on TV. Props to you for telling it like you see it.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

Jay is perfectly on target and you should all listen to him, as he knows Earl and his antics better than any of us.

I keep chiming in on the Earl threads simply because I am an avid pool fan and I'm frankly getting sick and tired of seeing Earl act up every time I see him playing. To me it is not entertaining at all. It makes my skin crawl to see him act on such a level.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I discovered pool at 14 years old-I finished high school in 1969.Still playing pool)
I finished college in 1974.(still playing pool)
I raised my family , paid all my bills, and now own my home and owe no one anything.(still playing pool)
Maybe I am the American icon,and Earl needs to show me the respect for accomplishing the things he can only fantasize about.

You seem very successful but can you play like Earl? He's a little madcap, yes, but all sports have their goofy guys. Tennis had Macenroe. Basketball had Rodman. Pool has Earl. All very talented and outspoken and over the top. But great at what they do. He's a nut case but I'm giving him a pass because he is one of the best ever and he's a big boy making his own bed. He'll have to sleep in it.

Reactions: JAM