double hit in 3 billiards

doubletrouble

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seen double hits beyond count on pool video, never seen 1 called. have only seen 1 on a 3 cushion video. not called. raymond cuelmans no less. didn't make point. but unlike pool video where more than not there isn't an official, big time 3 cushion does. is a double hit and the not calling the foul as common in caroms/3cushion as in pool?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Its a foul by umb rules for all carom

Hardly comes up in 3c
Way more often/ possible for straight rail 1 cushion and balkline since they are all very close most of the game
Very easy to commit, very easily missed by ref and player as well

46511050_496533287496520_4845495198978932736_n.jpg

i think its a stupid rule, gives no advantage to the player doing it

The ref would need to up close examining hundreds of shots which again,is just stupid to me

never seen it called in any game

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think its a stupid rule, gives no advantage to the player doing it

The ref would need to up close examining hundreds of shots which again,is just stupid to me
Shooting through a close ball (pushing or double hit) was legal at one time. It makes straight rail too easy -- no need for masse shots, just push the ball through, hitting it as many times as needed. It was barred in all games some time before 1900 or so. I think you don't understand that part of the game yet.

doubletrouble

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting, if a double hit called say in 3 cushion what is the penalty if point made or not made? imagine in the case of the latter, like cuelmans on video, nothing, but don't know.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Shooting through a close ball (pushing or double hit) was legal at one time. It makes straight rail too easy -- no need for masse shots, just push the ball through, hitting it as many times as needed. It was barred in all games some time before 1900 or so. I think you don't understand that part of the game yet.

Thats for sure

And thats a very fair point you made lol

It would become obvious though if someone kept doing it though

I doubt i could nurse the balls around the table double hitting the whole way,

Its not something ill ever obsess over but a pool player i brought around would go nuts over it, when he Thought i did it oncr

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
interesting, if a double hit called say in 3 cushion what is the penalty if point made or not made? imagine in the case of the latter, like cuelmans on video, nothing, but don't know.

Nothing really happens if a foul is called for any game
Lose of turn, no point awarded if it scored

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Maybe bert van manen will chime in with a professional answer

Many times the refs only get in position to see if a point is scored
My guess is for classic games
It would make the game much longer if the ref had to get in perfect position amd make the playet wait to judge a double hit for every shot
Guys get going, cue is always moving around
Guys moving fast from one side of the table to the other

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seen double hits beyond count on pool video, never seen 1 called. have only seen 1 on a 3 cushion video. not called. raymond cuelmans no less. didn't make point. but unlike pool video where more than not there isn't an official, big time 3 cushion does. is a double hit and the not calling the foul as common in caroms/3cushion as in pool?

the 'double hit' is one of the disillusions of carom's beginners

when it comes to small games, double hit is a referee's obsession , and to avoid the double hit is a player's obsession.

same goes for 3 cushions, but in this game most of time the CB/OB1 distance is way more often often large enough to avoid/prevent this foul , 'cause you can play in the "thinner" direction to avoid it and at the same time to have a chance to score a point.

IMHO the 3C referees are -a bit- less picky about double hit ..imho... but when it's a foul, it's a foul and they notice it, then you're back to your chair. Period :)

->Richard
It can be tricky to judge when a player do a fouetté shot , but, Richard, the stop-then-start of the cue ball is how a ref do sort a fouette from a foul. that's how you can judge a fouette, not by the sound of the hit but by the stop-start of the CB you can observe when it's legal.
But the fouette shot isn't a small game shot... and at 3C it's a "last chance shot" .... a little advice : forget the fouette for good, Richard !
/->Richard

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I think you really, really need to review the high speed videos that have been done on this subject.

I will say that it was not a double hit.

that fair

but just because one vid showed it didnt, does that mean every single shot in a similar circumstance is not a double hit?

brings me back to my point where i think its a stupid rule, she didnt even try to look,
just assumed

ive been way off base in the past and not affraid to admit it