Glasses

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over many years of playing and trying out "billiard glasses twice in my long career- here is my take on them: I used the DECote HY Wyds for a while- but no matter what- they sat on my forehead above the eye brows and just dirtied up too quickly. I also tried Currans as well- also never sat correctly, despite his claims that they were mal adjusted. In addition, if you are in your 50s- your eyes will start to change a lot every few years- it is just natural- and Curran drills the lenses to fit onto the frame- most other optical places won't touch them to replace the lenses- so you will be a slave to his high prices if you want to continue with his frames that you paid a lot for to begin with. I only used glasses for practice sessions- always used soft contacts for competition- nothing beats them if you need eye correction- Now you can get soft lenses that correct for astigmatism, and there are places you can buy them online yourself, once you know your contact lenses prescription.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
OH NO!!!!!

A glasses thread, which means of course
Bill Curran eye wear, that's Bill Curran eye wear, your leader in billiard eye wear. Bill Curran eye wear stocks the eye wear you need at a price you can't afford.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trob,

****** If you've seen me play, I'm bent over with shaft on chin. With the glasses, the world curves upward. When upright and looking forward, the image is awesome. *****
Lyn

this side effect is due to an optical abberation called "spherical abberation" . it appears when you look into a lens far from its optical center.

to avoid that, 2 solutions :

- if you wear monofocal lenses, buy aspheric lenses instead of the -cheap- spherical lenses . aspheric lenses are correcting the most common abberations

- ask to your optician to take the appropriate measurements according to your playing position/stance : Of highest importance being the relative height of the optical center from your pupil WHEN YOU ARE IN POOL STANCE.

this 2d point is extremely important ! because you optician is adjusting the lenses into the frame usually according to the "normal", upright stance .
But when you play pool, your stance is verrrry different to the upright stance.
the height of the optical center of the lens into the frame MUST be adapted to the pool stance, else the probability to enjoy optical abberation is high :) . and, of course, when on the proscription there is a difference of power >0.50d between your right and left eye . in such case, when the difference is huge, you can see 'double' /diplopia when in a pool stance.

so , when you wanna buy pool glasses , if your optician don't play pool, then show him the stance, tell him that you need to have the best visual performances when you're in this position. That's the key.

Nota : the vision being given by the brain, some ppl don't notice any abberations, some others do ..

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where he went makes glasses for pool players so I would hope they would know to take that into account for adjustment

this side effect is due to an optical abberation called "spherical abberation" . it appears when you look into a lens far from its optical center.

to avoid that, 2 solutions :

- if you wear monofocal lenses, buy aspheric lenses instead of the -cheap- spherical lenses . aspheric lenses are correcting the most common abberations

- ask to your optician to take the appropriate measurements according to your playing position/stance : Of highest importance being the relative height of the optical center from your pupil WHEN YOU ARE IN POOL STANCE.

this 2d point is extremely important ! because you optician is adjusting the lenses into the frame usually according to the "normal", upright stance .
But when you play pool, your stance is verrrry different to the upright stance.
the height of the optical center of the lens into the frame MUST be adapted to the pool stance, else the probability to enjoy optical abberation is high :) . and, of course, when on the proscription there is a difference of power >0.50d between your right and left eye . in such case, when the difference is huge, you can see 'double' /diplopia when in a pool stance.

so , when you wanna buy pool glasses , if your optician don't play pool, then show him the stance, tell him that you need to have the best visual performances when you're in this position. That's the key.

Nota : the vision being given by the brain, some ppl don't notice any abberations, some others do ..

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
When you correct for US to Canadian $$ it isn't nearly as big a difference....

... I don't get it!?:confused:

You are correct, it isn't nearly a big difference.

It's friggin' huge!

Curran Optical $397 USD
Billiard Glasses $209 CAD

$209 CAD= $159 USD

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yeah I hear ya, It just takes time to get use to poking yourself in the eyes. :)

I have contacts for playing pool only. I asked the Optometrist to give me a prescription that would allow me to see perfectly clear from 3 feet to 10 feet. He looked at me a little confused until I told him I was a pool player.

It took him a few tries but he got it. I have the soft dailies and only wear them when I play. Works great.

John
Yes, my contacts are also for pool only - fortunately, I lucked onto an optometrist who also plays, so he got it right away.

pj
chgo

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.spex4less.com/sports-glasses/snooker-glasses

I used the company above as well. They only do a single script, at least when I got mine a few years ago. I don't touch the cue with my chin but I'm within an inch of it. These were less expensive than the Curran glasses and work pretty well. I believe the Curran glasses did offer a bifocal which would be nice to read print without having to change to my normal glasses. I can't wear contacts, can't bring myself to stick stuff in my eye. I may try the Curran's for my next pair. Wearing glasses sucks in general, not just for playing pool.

Good luck

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, my contacts are also for pool only - fortunately, I lucked onto an optometrist who also plays, so he got it right away.

pj
chgo

A few optometrists i have visited over the years did not get that "3 to 10 feet" thing that I hit them with as well- so I self adjust my contact power for pool- whatever they say my power is for 20/20 vision , I just have lowered it by a quarter point and it has worked for me! for example if your 20/20 contact lens power is -1.25 for each eye- I buy -1 power contacts just for pool - there is an online website that allows you to buy any contacts without prescription.20/20 vision is corrected for 20 feet equivalency.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct, it isn't nearly a big difference.

It's friggin' huge!

Curran Optical $397 USD
Billiard Glasses $209 CAD

$209 CAD= $159 USD

Ok..I screwed up converting. I converted the currency the wrong direction.:embarrassed2:
My apologies to all youse guise!
Shows you just how bad I need glasses!!!:D

I wear progressive bifocals. They suck a bit less for pool if I push then as far up my nose as I can...But they still suck!

Since I started wearing them I always wondered how those with regular prescription glasses see the table and pockets etc. I have know a couple really good players that just had their regular glasses for playing pool.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I used the company above as well. They only do a single script, at least when I got mine a few years ago. I don't touch the cue with my chin but I'm within an inch of it. These were less expensive than the Curran glasses and work pretty well. I believe the Curran glasses did offer a bifocal which would be nice to read print without having to change to my normal glasses. I can't wear contacts, can't bring myself to stick stuff in my eye. I may try the Curran's for my next pair. Wearing glasses sucks in general, not just for playing pool.

Good luck

i need a prism in my prescription
spex4less website when i tried to enter the prosm info said i had to contact them
i did not have this problem with curran optics
who i recommend

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think because I’ve worn them since I was 5 or 6 years old I like wearing glasses lol I felt weird without them when I tried contacts .

Good luck

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the help everyone.. I think is what I’m going with. I like the design the best.

Good luck

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Bill's glasses and they work great for me. I can't wear contacts so I am stuck with Glasses. I can bend over and not have to look over my frames. I would recommend taking a look at them.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the help everyone.. I think is what I’m going with. I like the design the best.

Yeah...I finally broke down and ordered the same glasses. As much as I like the Curran glasses they are more than I care to pay since I don't get out all that often anyway. If I was playing as much as I used to I might do differently.
I'll have to report on them after I use them a bit.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah...I finally broke down and ordered the same glasses. As much as I like the Curran glasses they are more than I care to pay since I don't get out all that often anyway. If I was playing as much as I used to I might do differently.
I'll have to report on them after I use them a bit.

So how much did you end up paying in American currency?

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how much did you end up paying in American currency?

With the non reflection coating and shipping it came to $130.24 USD.

Reading the reviews, I saw that most complaints were that the rims were kinda flimsy but most didn't seem to really care much since they were only using them for billiards and not wearing them for everyday wear. They appear to have a good satisfaction guarantee.

I think they look far better than the Canadian glasses but maybe not as good as the Curran glasses. I do think that Curran tries to get a pair of glasses that are more tailored to your exact position over the cue ball and such. For more casual playing I am not sure how much that matters considering the extra expense.

If I don't like these very much, I would go to the Curran glasses. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank Goodness I No Longer Require Any Glasses Whatsoever.

As some readers might know, I just completed cataract surgery earlier this month.
My left eye was corrected before Memorial Day & my right eye was done June 10th.

I previously needed reading glasses, distance glasses and a blended prescription
version that was made for playing pool. I wore billiard glasses for more than 10 yrs.
and the way the prescription was determined was by trial and error. My opthalmologist
took me into a conference room and we placed pool balls on the conference room table
at varying distances. The first ball was placed 2 ft. away and thereafter every 2 additional
ft. up to 14 ft. (7 pool balls). I wore a eyeglasses contraption and he would drop in different
lenses until we decided on a combination that worked best from rail to rail for a 9 ft.table.
Afterward he compared the results with my distance prescription and reading prescription
I already had and he tweaked the prescription it where he thought it would help based upon
my comments during the lenses testing. Voila, he came up with a prescription that solved my
vision needs and I wore those glasses up until completing cataract surgery earlier this month.

I am now free of eyewear and no longer need either reading or distance glasses, just really
good sunglasses and thank goodness they do not have to be prescription any longer. If you
have an opthalmologist, try and do the distance testing like mine did. You will wind up with a
great solution instead of just guessing what the prescription really needs to be for your eyes.