do female players play action/challenge matches?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
In the mid South,Tammie Wesley would openly gamble even with guys in the mid 600 by Fargo standards. Monica Webb and the late Helena Thornfeldt too. Tommy D.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I assume you guys have seen this video of Lori:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqK9TylfNjs

That was hard to watch. I knew her but didn't really "know" her. It was a well known fact that she was hooked on the big H, but no one really talked about it. She was pretty much unapproachable from what I saw in the few times I was around her. She had an aggressive attitude in the poolroom and a vocabulary to match, but damn, she could play! There was no other woman that could play 9-Ball like her, not even Jeannie. But Lori was often too erratic to make it through a tournament unscathed.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was hard to watch. I knew her but didn't really "know" her. It was a well known fact that she was hooked on the big H, but no one really talked about it. She was pretty much unapproachable from what I saw in the few times I was around her. She had an aggressive attitude in the poolroom and a vocabulary to match, but damn, she could play! There was no other woman that could play 9-Ball like her, not even Jeannie. But Lori was often too erratic to make it through a tournament unscathed.

Appreciate your input.

Prior to seeing Pool Bums video I was going to go on a quest to find some video of her playing. I kinda lost the desire to do that after seeing what happened to her:( Maybe in a few days..I will do it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There was no other woman that could play 9-Ball like her, not even Jeannie.

Respectfully disagree, and yes, I saw Lori at her best. Jean had a gear that she rarely had to call on in competition because she was so far beyond her peers, but she could find that gear anytime she needed it. Jean's highest gear was higher than Lori's. Jean, a world class athlete, had as strong a break as anyone ever did in women's nine ball, and beat a lot of the superstars of men's pool in competition playing even. Jean probably played as well as all but the top thirty men in the world back in the mid-1980's. If Lori did the same, I never heard about it and I was often around the women's pool scene.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Z-Nole...That was Ga Young Kim, and she drilled Donny for several thousand!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

And I remember Donny Mills playing a money match with a lady player. So yes, I’m sure you can find some action.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Old joke. What's the difference between a professional pool player and a large pizza? A large pizza can feed a family of four. Nursing is stable career.

Not to hijack the thread but does anybody know whether Karen Corr has completely walked away from pool to be a nurse?

She was one of my favorites to watch.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Ambi is streaming a match on FB. Snooky and Carlos Sanchez for $2K in the middle.

Some of the NYC metro area woman players were playing some money matches for like $1000 in 2019. I'm sure it might have continued if the covid didn't hit.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Z-Nole...That was Ga Young Kim, and she drilled Donny for several thousand!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Not sure what match you're referring to, and it's hard to imagine Ga Young drilling Donny.

If we're talking about the action match of March 2019, Donny played Siming Chen, best two out of three races to 21. Siming Chen won, the first two sets, with both of them crazy close. I think it may have been 21-19 and then 21-20. Siming Chen, whose Fargo was 787 at the time, is a tougher assignment than Ga Young Kim.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what match you're referring to, and it's hard to imagine Ga Young drilling Donny.

If we're talking about the action match of March 2019, Donny played Siming Chen, best two out of three races to 21. Siming Chen won, the first two sets, with both of them crazy close. I think it may have been 21-19 and then 21-20. Siming Chen, whose Fargo was 787 at the time, is a tougher assignment than Ga Young Kim.

Yup, that’s the one. I’ve known Donny since he couldn’t run out with ball in hand on the eight. I wish he had won but it was good to see how he took the loss. The guy plays pretty good for a part time player.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Melissa Little played one of our local high rollers for $5K awhile back.

She should be able to after screwing people on cue sales.

F HER. I dont give a shit how many "charity" events she does. Once a scum bag always a scumbag

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

if he wants Ga young, he has action till he bleeds. Ain't nobody got time for that