Anyone know David Deboy? Selling a homemade ball polisher

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, it looks like for some reason my photos are over rotating. I used my miter saw to cut two 2x2's at 9" x 7 1/4 inches. Used cable ties to secure the 2x2's to the buffer. Insert cord and drop buffer into the bottom of the bucket. Cut a piece of carpet to 3 feet long and 4 inches wide, use velcro to attach to the sides of the bucket. If you have problems finding a piece of carpet, just cut a piece out of a corner of one of your buddies homes. Also make sure the switch for the buffer is on. I plugged mine into a outlet strip and use that to switch it on and off.

Attachments

• 20180211_205131.jpg
    20180211_205131.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 20180211_204529.jpg
    20180211_204529.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 20180211_205414.jpg
    20180211_205414.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 299

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm shot out for the day, but will take mine apart tomorrow and show how I made mine. I had a bunch of ideas of modifications, but will take to much table time away from me to do them. I originally used bolts and washers underneath to mount the buffer to some 2 x 2's in the bucket, but the balls polished better with the buffer floating/vibrating not mounted to bottom.
I found a buffer that was returned to Walmart on the shelf and talked them into giving me it for $12.00. I have less than $20.00 into mine.

Thanks for your help!!!

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200927-012510_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200927-012510_Gallery.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Screenshot_20200927-012531_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200927-012531_Gallery.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 229

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200927-013657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200927-013657_Gallery.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 227
  • Screenshot_20200927-013718_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200927-013718_Gallery.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 234

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cutting 2 inches from the width of the carpet. After about 3 years velcro attached to the backing of carpet has separated. Trimming the width down will reduce the weight and stress on the velcro. The balls only touch a small width of the carpet when polishing. Velcro backing loose in video, but still works. https://youtu.be/dJNaUAR9mMI

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you use to clean the balls? Soap or a polisher of some sort?

I'm currently using up the rest of my Aramith ball cleaner, then after that will use 3D One. Most of the time I just give a light spritz of Wolfgang quick detailer and wipe the balls with a clean microfiber cloth when I remove them. 3D One is a light finishing polish and not very abrasive.

Instead of replacing the velcro and I'm going to make an insert to try out that you just drop in and can easily remove to change the pads. I was wanting to do this before, but at the time there wasn't a real need to make any modifications. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incorrect- appears you failed to read the thread or acknowledge the post earlier in this thread.

Game play was not the only cause of the spots.

With reasonable certainty, I would say there is no discernable difference between collisions in a polisher, vs on a table, a shoebox, or a back seat of a porsche 914.

The 914 has to be one of the ugliest Porsche’s ever.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
It's very cool to see the creative works of my fellow AZB'ers, but it leads me to this question:

If the average Joe can make a working ball polisher for under $50, then why in the hell do the companies that make "real" ball polishers get away with selling theirs for $500?

Maniac

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's very cool to see the creative works of my fellow AZB'ers, but it leads me to this question:

If the average Joe can make a working ball polisher for under $50, then why in the hell do the companies that make "real" ball polishers get away with selling theirs for $500?

Maniac

Effective, long lasting, cheap.

Pick two.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Yeah BB, I knew that was coming.

But is it possible for ten $50 homemade polishers to outlast one $500 manufactured polisher?

Just asking for a friend.

Maniac (has dirty balls)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But is it possible for ten $50 homemade polishers to outlast one $500 manufactured polisher?

Maniac (has dirty balls)

Perhaps....but over that long a time and 9 rebuilds, it it really 'saving'?

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maniac (has dirty balls)

We donated ours to a friend since we decided to bite the bullet and order a Diamond polisher. The DIY last over a year and was still going strong after using it 2 times per week consistently.

We got the Diamond so it wouldn't be an eye sore, also we like the timer feature (you can add this to a diy project as well) and its relatively quiet.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We donated ours to a friend since we decided to bite the bullet and order a Diamond polisher. The DIY last over a year and was still going strong after using it 2 times per week consistently.

We got the Diamond so it wouldn't be an eye sore, also we like the timer feature (you can add this to a diy project as well) and its relatively quiet.

I just about pulled the trigger on a new Diamond ball polisher myself yesterday just to buy myself some time and talked myself out of it. I'm just going to rebuild mine and try and make it better. Just need to find the time to do so. I'm just sliding the carpet in at the moment when I polish the balls. lol

I use to set a timer on my phone when I would start the polisher. After sometime I figured out when it was done without a timer. When you first start the polisher with whatever polish or cleaner your using, take notice how the balls react when the polish is spent. The balls will spin faster at first when the balls have some polish on them, then the balls will slow down a little and the sound changes also. You just know when they're done.

If you accidentally use more polish than normal, it will just take longer with the same effects.

Getting a solid color bucket with no markings with matching lid that matches your room helps making it less noticeable. Some thought mine was a trash can at first. lol

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm currently using up the rest of my Aramith ball cleaner, then after that will use 3D One. Most of the time I just give a light spritz of Wolfgang quick detailer and wipe the balls with a clean microfiber cloth when I remove them. 3D One is a light finishing polish and not very abrasive.

Instead of replacing the velcro and I'm going to make an insert to try out that you just drop in and can easily remove to change the pads. I was wanting to do this before, but at the time there wasn't a real need to make any modifications. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Does the stuff you put on the balls transfer to the cloth?

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the stuff you put on the balls transfer to the cloth?

Not that I can see, but I also wipe each ball with a clean microfiber cloth as I pull out each ball before placing them on the cloth just in case. I've had no problems with spots on the balls or them marking up my cloth.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i finally got around to making me one

bucket, polisher, car wax cleans and shines the balls
great success and doesnt make a ton of noise