Member who was doing video lessons?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a member a few months ago that had started doing paid video chat lessons. He is a regular member, not one of the traditional instructors. Does anyone remember who it was? I’m thinking it was maybe Tin Man? He was definitely a very high level player. But I can’t recall his name for sure. Thanks.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Beehler in Kentucky

There was a member a few months ago that had started doing paid video chat lessons. He is a regular member, not one of the traditional instructors. Does anyone remember who it was? I’m thinking it was maybe Tin Man? He was definitely a very high level player. But I can’t recall his name for sure. Thanks.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No wasn’t him sharivari.

I’m looking for someone to help me with straight pool patterns. Minimum 100 balm runner. I want them to watch live with me and tell me what ball to shoot on the fly. I want to see if I can run 50 balls with someone else being the brain. My high is I think 37 or so.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
No wasn’t him sharivari.

I’m looking for someone to help me with straight pool patterns. Minimum 100 balm runner. I want them to watch live with me and tell me what ball to shoot on the fly. I want to see if I can run 50 balls with someone else being the brain. My high is I think 37 or so.

When I ruin a good run, it's most always due to missing a simple shot that I take for granted, a shot I would normally never miss. It's lack of consistent focus.

That's what makes straight pool the toughest game -- the level of focus/attention that's required for each shot. It's a humbling game for sure.

Running 8 open balls in 1hole or 8ball, or 9 balls in 9ball, or 10 in 10ball, is easy because it only requires focus on a few balls in row. If you have the habit of taking a shot for granted every now and then, maybe 1 out 10, that bad habit will creep in and ruin an 8, 9, or 10ball every now and then, but it'll sabotage a good straight pool run every time.

With that said, are you sure it's position play that's keeping you from higher runs?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
No wasn’t him sharivari.

Assuming he would be willing, I think a poster in this very thread would be a pretty solid choice. Bob Jewett. He is a former collegiate straight pool national champion. He has been pretty heavily involved in and had a special interest in the game of straight pool for half a century. He has run the straight pool challenges (neither here nor there but usually puts up the very substantial prize funds for them out of his own pocket too!) at one or more of the major tournaments a year for most or all of the past years for quite some time now, probably pushing several decades of doing that I would guess. He has been a respected instructor for decades. For all around broad spectrum knowledge of any and all things related to pool he is probably unrivaled by anyone in the world--literally, and his in depth knowledge of most aspects would be equally unrivaled. I don't know what his high run is, but whatever it is it certainly would have been substantially higher but for that fact that a very successful career took priority. And even at his current age and career obligations he still plays good enough to have beaten no less than Shane Van Boening in a race to 125 straight pool match in a major 14.1 tournament just a few years back.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I too think bob jewett if agreeable would be perfect for the op

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all. I think it was Plague that I remember. I also reached out to Tin man via PM. Bob would be great too. I have to figure out my camera to make this work. I have a good overhead camera, but can't livestream off of it. Probably facetime or skype off the phone would work, but I'd have to figure out a way to mount the phone way up there and get power to it. And the person on the other end would probably need to see the picture on their computer (not phone) to have a good chance of seeing what ball is what. This might turn out to be too big a project from a technology standpoint. Oh, and my phone doens't have as wide a lens as the dedicated overhead SLR camera I have, so it won't be as good a viewpoint. hmmm...

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Sapolis used to do reviews of people's 14.1 runs but I'm not sure how active he is now.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
PM sent. It probably was Lely, and there are certainly a lot of super strong resources out there. I've been trying to avoid video sessions this is intriguing and I'd be down for a project like this on a rainy evening.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
he would be great!

Dave Sapolis used to do reviews of people's 14.1 runs but I'm not sure how active he is now.

I never see him posting but then again I never go to the 14.1 forum or facebook. An internet friend of mine only but I think he would be a great coach. Smarter than the average bear and a great guy besides. Anybody looking for long range lessons would find him hard to beat I believe. Excellent communication skills too.

Yep, I am highly biased but I think BlackJack is the man!

Hu

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, Blackjack is hesitant to do any more reviews because there've been some instances where the people he's reviewing, instead of appreciating his time, effort, and insightful breakdown of their game have had a tendency to argue and contend that they know what's what a little better than he does.
To the OP, you should be able to run 50 but I think it's a little more involved than just having someone talk you thru patterns and shot selection.
Examining and correcting the flaws in your thought processes and perceptions may be a more valuable path to take.
You have the physical skills.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually done that what OP suggests couple times to students.
One pretty strong pyramid player did go from 32 to 76 2nd run. It is not bad idea and I could do it also.
I think it would not be same as being in person but probably worth to try.
If you wanna check my level of play and thinking check link in my signature. There i made 103 on live stream while giving instructional stuff also . Maybe learn something too. :cool:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually done that what OP suggests couple times to students.
One pretty strong pyramid player did go from 32 to 76 2nd run. It is not bad idea and I could do it also.
I think it would not be same as being in person but probably worth to try.
If you wanna check my level of play and thinking check link in my signature. There i made 103 on live stream while giving instructional stuff also . Maybe learn something too. :cool:

I have watched your videos before. I believe you give very good advice, great lessons. I really like your attention to halfball shots, the importance of recognizing and setting yourself up for them. Great work.