Thanks guys - I crushed an 8 last night

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

I'd just like to say thanks for all of you who have been answering my recent English questions and cue ball control questions - I've been practicing it quite a lot and I saw it's fruition last night.

I was playing an APA 8 last night because my team captain asked if I'd be comfortable playing him (I'm a 3 because it's my very first league and my captain's a 5) and I said hell yeah! I had to win 2 and he had to win 6...

Won the lag - broke and ran the first two sets and that was it.

Played almost perfect position and could do on the table what I saw happening on my head - it was such a great feeling being able to take what you want to happen and actually make it happen.

So again, thanks guys ;)

-Richard

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

I'd just like to say thanks for all of you who have been answering my recent English questions and cue ball control questions - I've been practicing it quite a lot and I saw it's fruition last night.

I was playing an APA 8 last night because my team captain asked if I'd be comfortable playing him (I'm a 3 because it's my very first league and my captain's a 5) and I said hell yeah! I had to win 2 and he had to win 6...

Played almost perfect position and could do on the table what I saw happening on my head - it was such a great feeling being able to take what you want to happen and actually make it happen.

So again, thanks guys ;)

-Richard
You're playing 8-ball against an APA SL-8? What's an SL-8 in APA 8-ball? Super Master?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
You're playing 8-ball against an APA SL-8? What's an SL-8 in APA 8-ball? Super Master?

He was obviously playing 9-ball.
If he broke & ran the first two games he only needed 5-more balls to win, and the SL-8 needed to run at least 6-racks to have any chance.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Sometimes your the bug and sometimes the windshield.

;)

Take it stride and in perspective that you are playing in a handicapped league.

Hey guys,

So again, thanks guys ;)

-Richard

Banks

Banned
He was obviously playing 9-ball.
If he broke & ran the first two games he only needed 5-more balls to win, and the SL-8 needed to run at least 6-racks to have any chance.

Nah, it was 8. He said it was a 2-7 race as a 3. Either they have the super-7 thing in place there where exceptional 7's need an extra or it was just a 2-6 race. Either way, he shot great and got his.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Nah, it was 8. He said it was a 2-7 race as a 3. Either they have the super-7 thing in place there where exceptional 7's need an extra or it was just a 2-6 race. Either way, he shot great and got his.

Sorry, I saw the SL-8 and didn't read it all.
In 8-ball we don't have have SL-8 or Super 7's here in Denver.
We used to have Super 7, and there is barely a master's division.

A few weeks ago we had an SL-3 in 9-ball get lucky and run quite a few balls, and the other team was really pissed off.
I know the other team real well, and they were not happy when I said "welcome to the APA"
Ironic that is was her that pissed this team off since she never ever plays shape, not even with ball in hand.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies for the confusion guys -

The guy I played was a SL-8 in 9-ball and a SL-7 in 8-ball but my team captain was talking to me before the game and all I heard was 8 lol - was focusing on the match without it even starting =P

It was a race where I had to win 2 and he had to win 6.

Anyhow - in my area when you first join the APA league regardless of what you're actual skill level is you start out as a 3 and advance based on how you perform through the matches. So I'm not actually a 3 (most players have said I'm at least a 6 unless I get in my head while playing) so it's not uncommon for me to run racks.

You only win the match if you pocket the 8-ball legally but I ran out twice and he didn't get a shot in. I was a little upset because I wanted to keep playing =/

-Richard

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My apologies for the confusion guys -

The guy I played was a SL-8 in 9-ball and a SL-7 in 8-ball but my team captain was talking to me before the game and all I heard was 8 lol - was focusing on the match without it even starting =P

It was a race where I had to win 2 and he had to win 6.

Anyhow - in my area when you first join the APA league regardless of what you're actual skill level is you start out as a 3 and advance based on how you perform through the matches. So I'm not actually a 3 (most players have said I'm at least a 6 unless I get in my head while playing) so it's not uncommon for me to run racks.

You only win the match if you pocket the 8-ball legally but I ran out twice and he didn't get a shot in. I was a little upset because I wanted to keep playing =/

-Richard
Now it all makes sense.

Freddie <~~~ something like that

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
So you are new to league, under ranked, getting a large spot and managed to break and run 2 racks and now you have crushed the SL 8? Don't forget to get your "I beat an 8" patch. Congrats on your two break and runs. I hope you will offer to play the SL 8 even for a small sum so you can crush them with out the generous handicap. Then the bragging might be justified.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Good job on the break n runs!

That being said, your local league rules need tweaking.
They took the normal rules and changed them for the worse.
The normal rules have the default starting rank as a 4 (for males).

There is also a provision to start a 'known quantity' at a higher rank,
at least in 9 ball, and your 8 ball handicap carries over to 9b or vice versa.
So they really should have started you at least as a 5.

Even as a 4, that would have given the 7/8 one more chance
and it wouldn't shock me if he went on to win 5 in a row.
So these local house rules suck for him.

Anyway, not to take away from your win.
And definitely, if you've never run a 3-pack before, ask everyone to hold up
and rack them up and see if you can run a third :)

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree guys - I really do.

Two games to win for me is almost always guaranteed unless the guy I play is truly outstanding and I consider it a severely unfair advantage for me. Whether in league or in practice I like to face stronger opponent's so I learn more but I don't learn if he doesn't play.

In reality - I offered to play him again on another table (only 4/10 tables are used for league at a time and the remaining 6 are for practice) but he decline and instead left immediately after the game.

6 sessions left in the remaining league time so I might play him again =P

P.S. Anybody know how long it takes to be leveled up SL-wise in the APA?

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
You should be able to call your league operator and ask to be raised to a SL 7. That way it will be more challenging for you. Your team may disown you though.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I totally agree guys - I really do.

Two games to win for me is almost always guaranteed unless the guy I play is truly outstanding and I consider it a severely unfair advantage for me. Whether in league or in practice I like to face stronger opponent's so I learn more but I don't learn if he doesn't play.

In reality - I offered to play him again on another table (only 4/10 tables are used for league at a time and the remaining 6 are for practice) but he decline and instead left immediately after the game.

6 sessions left in the remaining league time so I might play him again =P

P.S. Anybody know how long it takes to be leveled up SL-wise in the APA?

There isn't a set time frame. Given your obvious ability, your LO should make an adjustment and raise you right away. If he doesn't, you will move up quickly. We had a guy start here that I knew would be a 7, he went up from starting at a 4 to 7 by the end of one session.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if it'll take the LO a little longer though - I've been in 4 matches and lost 2 because of nerves that I was still learning to control (both nervous to shoot in front of people and nerves of excitement).

I found that I was getting inside my head and trying to play a game that wasn't mine when I practice so I was losing. But this last match I fixed everything and the rest of my matches should run smoothly.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are new to league, under ranked, getting a large spot and managed to break and run 2 racks and now you have crushed the SL 8? Don't forget to get your "I beat an 8" patch. Congrats on your two break and runs. I hope you will offer to play the SL 8 even for a small sum so you can crush them with out the generous handicap. Then the bragging might be justified.

It's one of the things I find funny about apa.. you give someone t a monster spot then they act like they are the greatest player ever when they won. I don't get upset . I just congratulate them .. chuckle to myself and move on. btw you'll be a 3 next week....maybe. Who the hell can figure out there rating system. :p

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess they can do it ... When my friend took me on his 9 ball team. He was honest with the operators. He told them to start me as a 7 because he was sure I would end up being a 9 any way. It took me 4 matches to knocked kicked up to an 8 and then a 9 by the start of the next session. If he wouldn't have said anything they would have started me as a 4.

Good job on the break n runs!

That being said, your local league rules need tweaking.
They took the normal rules and changed them for the worse.
The normal rules have the default starting rank as a 4 (for males).

There is also a provision to start a 'known quantity' at a higher rank,
at least in 9 ball, and your 8 ball handicap carries over to 9b or vice versa.
So they really should have started you at least as a 5.

Even as a 4, that would have given the 7/8 one more chance
and it wouldn't shock me if he went on to win 5 in a row.
So these local house rules suck for him.

Anyway, not to take away from your win.
And definitely, if you've never run a 3-pack before, ask everyone to hold up
and rack them up and see if you can run a third :)

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
New APA male players start out as 4's in 8-ball no matter what.
Unless you tell the LO your higher then a 4. But to my knowledge you can't tell him to start you out as a 3 because your not a 4.

Last edited: