Dealing with stuff outside the table.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you guys deal with this, or block happenings that surround the table.

Let me tell you my issue, I have no problems with things that happen in the table, but my only problem is when something goes on thats around my table, it could be as simple as somebody walking close by near me or infront of my sight where I am shooting the ball, if he's nearby and walking infront of me, then I will miss the shot.

If someone is close to my table and chatting with either my opponent or another guy, my game would drop considerably. A guy talking on the phone loudly near my table also would kill my game and I will start missing easy shots if that gets into my head.

So most of my issues are within my head because I let it get to me, I start thinking of it and it starts to annoy me even more, then this would lead to me playing a very bad game.

Also the problem where somebody walk by me, or walk on my sight of shooting, this would make me miss any shot because as I'm down, I think of him and my eyes would be going slighty on him thinking to myself "Why he's passing now" then I miss, and here i've tried the (Stand up, regroup, then go down again on the shot) but this also kills my momentum and rythm.

Sorry for the long msg. But I've tried so many things and I can't seem to cope with this problem or even find a solution to it, anything outside the table can annoy me, and once annoyed, I can't play.

The8reader

does this help! haha
Silver Member

Let me tell you my issue, I have no problems with things that happen in the table, but my only problem is when something goes on thats around my table, it could be as simple as somebody walking close by near me or infront of my sight where I am shooting the ball, if he's nearby and walking infront of me, then I will miss the shot.

If someone is close to my table and chatting with either my opponent or another guy, my game would drop considerably. A guy talking on the phone loudly near my table also would kill my game and I will start missing easy shots if that gets into my head.

So most of my issues are within my head because I let it get to me, I start thinking of it and it starts to annoy me even more, then this would lead to me playing a very bad game.

Also the problem where somebody walk by me, or walk on my sight of shooting, this would make me miss any shot because as I'm down, I think of him and my eyes would be going slighty on him thinking to myself "Why he's passing now" then I miss, and here i've tried the (Stand up, regroup, then go down again on the shot) but this also kills my momentum and rythm.

Sorry for the long msg. But I've tried so many things and I can't seem to cope with this problem or even find a solution to it, anything outside the table can annoy me, and once annoyed, I can't play.

I used to have trouble with this. Now when I go to play for fun or drills I will sometimes bring a friend or my gf. My gf workes great as she has no idea about pool ethics. She stands right by me talkes tells stories and just plan annoying to play pool with... but I have learned not to let it get to me.. later I found out it helps me whith annoyances around the table

The8reader

does this help! haha
Silver Member
Also I use the three out rule. If u let ur opponent get to the table three times u have to forfit ur match.. this make me take even the worst opponent seriously and make u only concentrate on the table and ur game

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All this happens where you play? Guys walking in front of the pocket your shooting at? People talking on the phone near you when you are shooting? You're in the wrong poolroom. Find another where they appreciate the game.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ask Earl! Not to be flippant, but this happens to everybody to a degree. I've found it bothers me more now that am older, quit for many years, and now only play a few hours a week.

I've found that a pair of earphones with some music kind of drowns out the noise a bit and the chatter on the rails. Last Sunday I had to tell the girl behind the bar to turn the music down a "bit" because it was at about at the level of a rock concert and one of the big speakers is at head level and about 12 feet from the table I play on. I couldn't even hear what was piping directly into my ears for the loudness of her music.

The other problem is this table is situated about 12 feet from the two main entrances into the bar area and another extension of the pool room. You have to dodge people left and right while they are walking through or playing on the tables next to you. Those are not as big a problem as the people who play on the tables right next to you. It is they want to stand between the tables and gather and have conversations and family reunions. You have to keep waiting for them to move or either "politely" ask them to get the hell out of the way.

I make it a point to sit down and get away from the table after I shoot and I expect my opponent to do the same. I hate when they are looking over your shoulder or hanging off the end of the table every time it is your turn to shoot.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
???

All this happens where you play? Guys walking in front of the pocket your shooting at? People talking on the phone near you when you are shooting? You're in the wrong poolroom. Find another where they appreciate the game.

Where doesn't this happen? Most places don't have a enough room for this not to happen?

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ones who come up to you and talk to you constantly right before you or them shoot, the ones that do it once in a while out of friendliness are ok, but the ones that do it just to take you out of rhythm are a** hol**. The worst one in my opinion, is the one during a tournament, who leaves when you are going to shoot, and goes completely out of view of the table to do shots are talk to people he knows, do you wait for the jerk to come back, which messes with you, and then you constantly always have to tell them when it is their turn, and you know they are doing it on purpose, real players don't do this sh*t.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I used to have trouble with this. Now when I go to play for fun or drills I will sometimes bring a friend or my gf. My gf workes great as she has no idea about pool ethics. She stands right by me talkes tells stories and just plan annoying to play pool with... but I have learned not to let it get to me.. later I found out it helps me whith annoyances around the table

That's good.

I turn on the tv to the stupidest channel there is with talk about crap. I practice with that constant annoyance and it helps later when I'm at a competitive game.

Another trick is when you first arrive at the playing site, look all around the room and see all of the distractions BEFORE you start playing. See where the problems are: the door that opens suddenly and lets the sunshine in, the partiers who are paying little attention to pool, the hot babes slithering by showing off their wares, etc. Then when the interferences happen, you have already been "distracted" by those so you won't be bothered so much when those happen.

Jeff Livingston

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Every time I start o let something off the table get to me I think of this video of Efren and I say to myself, if I cant fade this, I cant play. Watch and Learn!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoMpVeaMoRM

Efren playing Michael Feliciano a set for about 49,500 pesos. ($1,132).

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You may want to check out a couple of YouTube videos of Efren Reyes, playing at his local poolroom in the Philippines. People are bouncing off each other right and and left, but no one seems to care.
Pretty cool, if you ask me. :)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
If you play in a public place, like a pool room or a bar, or on league night these things are gonna happen, it's part of the environment. Find a way to block it out or live with it. If the distraction becomes to great I've gotten into the habit of standing up and taking a step back and reassessing and wait until the distraction is finished. After a few seconds someone will usually get the gist of what I'm doing and either move away or get moved away. However, there are those that have no clue and aren't involved in the match in any way. Those are the times you just have to rely on your skill and bear down, these folks probably don't care that you are shooting and aren't involved in your game anyway. There's no breach of etiquette intended here, they're just exercising their right to be in a public place (and not be polite in the least) this is what you must learn to live with.
Personally, I find it more distracting when you're in a hushed area with just whispers and minimal movement, man, that can be nerve racking. You can hear yourself sweat

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
You may want to check out a couple of YouTube videos of Efren Reyes, playing at his local poolroom in the Philippines. People are bouncing off each other right and and left, but no one seems to care.
Pretty cool, if you ask me. :)

I want to go the Philippines and see one of those big money matches just so I can be a designated "bug picker". It took me a while to figure out what those guys were doing

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accept it as part of the game, and like someone mentioned be aware of potential distractions so that they don't surprise you later.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive seen that video of efren playing at his local place, I know its crazy, but I'm not used to that.

Besides Ive tried so hard blocking and not thinking about things that are happening around me, but it didn't work. I miss the simplest shots if something bothered me and its always 100% always is outside of the table, and Ive tried telling the person who is talkative near my table that its annoying me, but that didn't help because I already feel bad for telling him that, and already put me out of my pace and out of my game too.

Most thing that annoys me as I said, is when i'm down on a shot, and at my sight a person walks by, I duno how to think to this, it just gets to my head very easily, is there any method of erasing everything outside of the table and not look at it somehow? even if you're aware of potential distractions, the guy who will walk next to you, or infront of you will happen all of a sudden.

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time I start o let something off the table get to me I think of this video of Efren and I say to myself, if I cant fade this, I cant play. Watch and Learn!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoMpVeaMoRM

Efren playing Michael Feliciano a set for about 49,500 pesos. ($1,132).

Great post, and great example. You have to accept that you're in a pool hall, not a church. There's going to be booze and music. People are going to talk and walk around...especially ones who don't play pool. If little insignificant unintentional things like that rattle you, you're definitely going to have some issues with someone who does it intentionally to shark. Just focus on what YOU'RE doing and your mental fortitude does the rest :)

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

When I am at the table shooting for some reason I do not hear the juke box, other people talking, of even notice other people moving around. It probably comes from my playing environment, which for leagues and most tournaments are bars.One of my team mates is just the opposite. He thinks someone sharked him just this last Sunday night at league because they were walking past the table, 20 FEET BEHIND IT!!!!:confused: The offender could not have possibly been much further from the table. If you don't already, go to a bar with tables and spend some time playing/practicing there, it should help you out.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to go the Philippines and see one of those big money matches just so I can be a designated "bug picker". It took me a while to figure out what those guys were doing

Go to Thailand and they'll let you eat all the bugs you can pick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugTe5HiwWX8

When I lived in the PI, I went outside early one morning and went out by my gate to holler "good morning" to the retired Navy Master Chief who lived across the street from me. I saw some sort of green, BIG, bug that was crawling across the pavement and said something like, "WTF is THAT" and he proceeded to tell me that it was a rice beetle and if it didn't disappear real quick his wife may come out and eat it. He said it in a joking manner, but then explained how they loved the bugs in certain places. His wife was from Thailand. Needless to say, the bug got lucky and wandered off before she saw it and lunch time. I think that was the last time I ever saw one of those bugs....unless maybe I got some in my Pad Thai one day and they were low on chicken. :)

I loved the PI...you had all kinds of assistants on everything you do in everyday life. I had two full-time live-in maids, a garderner who did my lawn, washed my car, and stripped/waxed my floors. I had people who made my clothes. You could live like a King over there cheaper than you could almost anywhere else in the world. I think you still can if you watch what you are doing. About the only thing I never had there was a "designated" "paid" bug picker...I think maybe they only worked for tips..same as the kids who watched your car for a couple pesos when you went inside to play pool. Did I tell about the time I came out at about 4 A.M. and all four of my hubcaps were missing and the kid was asleep on the hood of my car and when I woke him up he asked for some pesoes?

Aloha.

The ones who come up to you and talk to you constantly right before you or them shoot, the ones that do it once in a while out of friendliness are ok, but the ones that do it just to take you out of rhythm are a** hol**. The worst one in my opinion, is the one during a tournament, who leaves when you are going to shoot, and goes completely out of view of the table to do shots are talk to people he knows, do you wait for the jerk to come back, which messes with you, and then you constantly always have to tell them when it is their turn, and you know they are doing it on purpose, real players don't do this sh*t.

We have a guy who will tell you how he missed a ball or position every time he turns over the table. I just smile and do not respond in any way. You have to not let things disrupt you consciousness. If I have a conscious thought it's going to be something along the lines of torching this guy as much as possible.

I'm immune to most distractions but do have earplugs available. Sometimes when I use them I really get in the zone. In bigger tournaments I use them with some good results. It changes things to where I'm focused on just executing what I know.

The more you play you find that controlling your thoughts and emotions is critical. If you get sharked it's mostly your own fault for allowing it. Also don't be afraid to shut down distractions, especially if gambling. You have to let people know the boundaries, sometimes you have to be firm and say so. Controlling the rail can be difficult.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This problem doesnt really bother me much; I got accustomed to playing APA pool where everyone was drinking and telling, etc. It wasn't until I moved to Green Bay that I saw a more respectable side of pool.

Anyway, I said that this problem doesn't bother me much but occasionally it will. Usually it's a summation of many things that finally start to get to me. The second I feel like this (the same way you explained you felt in your post) then I play a strict fundamental game. Every shot I focus on my fundamentals heavily.

Did I step into my shot? Pulling the cue back slowly to check to see if I'm stroking straight? Are my feet right?

Focusing on the little things takes your mind off of what's going on around you because you're consciously directing your attention inward.

~Richard