Cue tip2

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried 2 Elk Master tips 14mm on a 13mm shaft and both were disaster, from Mueller. No gripe with them. Scrapped the old tip off. Applied oversize tip on and trimmed the sides. Was sitting up real high so I did the various things to shape it. Tried it and miscued 1-5 times. Impossible to deal with. Same with next one. Should I have pressed them some?

Have installed many composition med-hard tips with never a problem.

Any input?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Installed

I tried 2 Elk Master tips 14mm on a 13mm shaft and both were disaster, from Mueller. No gripe with them. Scrapped the old tip off. Applied oversize tip on and trimmed the sides. Was sitting up real high so I did the various things to shape it. Tried it and miscued 1-5 times. Impossible to deal with. Same with next one. Should I have pressed them some?

Have installed many composition med-hard tips with never a problem.

Any input?

When you say installed, is that by hand or lathe ?
Can you post pictures of the tip ?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Take it to your friendly neighborhood cue repair person and have them fix it. Prices are almost always reasonable and their work is usually guaranteed.
God, I love tip threads. They're so clean and pure, like a new born baby. :smile:

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Welllll, if a Pressed Tip is what you are looking for, PM Dawgs Duds. You will not have a problem with him or his tips.

I make my own and still put his on many of my shafts.

And when I get mine just right, they are pretty Sporty also. His are just more consistent than some of mine.

But not to worry Buddy, it is the eventual Journey of Tips that most of us have to go thru in order to find the ones that play the best for us.

I am lucky, I have many in stock so like to play around with them.

Other than the good old stand ins that everyone seems to like, Ultra Skins, I recently got a half dozen Navigator Tips from Kim Bye in Norway.

I absolutely love them to death. He also sent a couple of Zan Tips which I have no doubt will be an exceptional tip when I get around to trying one out.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Welllll, if a Pressed Tip is what you are looking for, PM Dawgs Duds. You will not have a problem with him or his tips.
I make my own and still put his on many of my shafts.
And when I get mine just right, they are pretty Sporty also. His are just more consistent than some of mine.
But not to worry Buddy, it is the eventual Journey of Tips that most of us have to go thru in order to find the ones that play the best for us.
I am lucky, I have many in stock so like to play around with them.
Other than the good old stand ins that everyone seems to like, Ultra Skins, I recently got a half dozen Navigator Tips from Kim Bye in Norway.
I absolutely love them to death. He also sent a couple of Zan Tips which I have no doubt will be an exceptional tip when I get around to trying one out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Blue, but wouldn't you say that there are more good tips available today than ever before?
A few years ago all we had were single layer tips that needed way more maintenance that the tips of today. They were cheaper, for sure, but didn't last as long as what we have now and their quality was unreliable. I can remember sanding the bottom of Le Pros to see if they were any good. :smile: