FS section needs a massive revamp...here's an idea

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I used to like looking in the FS section to see what was kicking around. Over the past couple of years, the FS section has become 95% cue brokers, and the guy that's just trying to unload one or two of his used cues gets pushed back to page 12 in no time.

So here's my idea - subsections. The guys who use the FS section to sell their cues can have their own section - "Dealers". There could also be sections based on price. I find that I have to rummage through so many cues that are nice until I see a $2500 pricetag. I'm not in the market for anything that pricey. So it may clean up the FS section if there were subsections based on price. Say a $0-499, $500-1000, $1000-$2000, and a $2k+ section. The sections are self policed by the board members. If someone doesn't put their cue in the right section, they get a warning. The second time, one final warning. A third violation, you are banned.

I think this would clean up the FS section, and would allow the right cues to sell quickly, and the people that have their prices set at an unreasonable level cannot clog up the first 5 pages with their repetitive listings and bumps.

Thoughts?

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you removed the overpriced cues and ones that haven't sold in 60 days you'd have very few left.

All you have to do is price drop until you hit market value. Anybody just bumping an item for 8 pages looks desperate. Sell them and move on.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
I agree. I used to look multiple times a day at the FS thread. Now maybe a few times a week. Same old stuff...

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, no, keeping track of violations is time consuming;
I still think the best set up for free space to trade in is (a) F S category > (b) individual board(s) New thread power is held by the individual board holder only, others can only
post reply.
The details of board positions within the category would have particulates’ based on
activity, board holder updating, membership, seniority, rotations and such. It would be a lot like going to the mall to shop, in time, lurkers will know who’s who and where they are within the F S Category.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I used to like looking in the FS section to see what was kicking around. Over the past couple of years, the FS section has become 95% cue brokers, and the guy that's just trying to unload one or two of his used cues gets pushed back to page 12 in no time.

So here's my idea - subsections. The guys who use the FS section to sell their cues can have their own section - "Dealers". There could also be sections based on price. I find that I have to rummage through so many cues that are nice until I see a $2500 pricetag. I'm not in the market for anything that pricey. So it may clean up the FS section if there were subsections based on price. Say a $0-499, $500-1000, $1000-$2000, and a $2k+ section. The sections are self policed by the board members. If someone doesn't put their cue in the right section, they get a warning. The second time, one final warning. A third violation, you are banned.

I think this would clean up the FS section, and would allow the right cues to sell quickly, and the people that have their prices set at an unreasonable level cannot clog up the first 5 pages with their repetitive listings and bumps.

Thoughts?

You must have access to a different FS section than I do - hardly any cues at all in the one I can see.
Jason

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must have access to a different FS section than I do - hardly any cues at all in the one I can see.
Jason

Are you looking at the Panjo marketplace? Nobody uses that I don't think. The W/FS is alive and well with lots of cues! Now, whether they're well priced desirable cues is a different question, but there are some nice ones out there right now for sure!

Outlander

Registered
+1 for the revamping the section.

I've purchased about a half dozen cues in the last couple of months. The posting from 2009 (?) don't make sense to me.

I advocate a single post that expires and disappears in 45 days. One, only one 'bump' allowed and only allowed if it is a price drop.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1 for the revamping the section.

I've purchased about a half dozen cues in the last couple of months. The posting from 2009 (?) don't make sense to me.

I advocate a single post that expires and disappears in 45 days. One, only one 'bump' allowed and only allowed if it is a price drop.

I think that is way too strict, not everybody can look at the for sale section that often and not many people make it past the second page I would guess.

I think bumps should be allowed once per week OR anytime the price is dropped by at least 10%. That will let people move their cues quickly when needed by getting them to an attractive enough price to entice buyers.

I would like to see some sort of expiration date to posts, it's silly when a post gets bumped and you can see the cue has been for sale for over a year.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I agree, cues F/S section now sucks, I used to go there everyday, even bought a few cues, now I never even look thru F/S section anymore. I would like to see individual sellers kept separate from the dealers, Im not saying I wont buy from a dealer its just that they overwhelm the F/S section. I understand it would be tough but it would be nice not to see the same 2 dozen overpriced cues that have been for sale since 1997 also.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Looked at Pang once. Guess I just have alot more time on my hands to be able to click on 4 different pages/day. Not much on there priced to sell anyway.
And yes, I'd love to have a $2,000 and above section, but It's not that time consuming.

Not saying you guys are wrong - I'm just in a different spot timewise.
Goodluck on this I will enjoy it either way and maybe a new look will be refreshing
Jason

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Looked at Pang once. Guess I just have alot more time on my hands to be able to click on 4 different pages/day. Not much on there priced to sell anyway.
And yes, I'd love to have a $2,000 and above section, but It's not that time consuming.

Not saying you guys are wrong - I'm just in a different spot timewise.
Goodluck on this I will enjoy it either way and maybe a new look will be refreshing
Jason

My thinking is that by having priced sections, the right cues will end up on the first few pages. The "monster" cues can have their own section, so that the true collector knows where to look instead of thumbing through pages of cues they aren't after. By having subsections based on price, a person can look at cues in their price range, and sift through less pages of fluff.

Keep the ideas coming. There have been some great ones so far. AZ used to be a great place to pick up cues. FB has passed it in the last year. I think we need to get more exposure for the guys that are just selling some cues to clear room in their bag/collection, and get the brokers and dealers into their own section. They have pretty much singlehandedly destroyed the FS section with cues that don't move due to inflated price tags.

Outlander

Registered
"Destroyed the FS section"

Agree. I should have added that of the cues I have purchased recently, only one was from the FS section.

I have recently purchased cues from professional dealers who clog the FS section. The deals were done in a commendable manner and they all 3 seemed quite generous in sharing information and perspective. For that I am grateful.

But ... I passed on buying a $2,000+ cue because the original listing in the FS section was over 4 years old. That is a sure sign the cue is over priced, IMO. Keep in mind that I am relatively new to purchasing high end cues ($1,000 or more) but I am not new to business dealings.

To me, a FS section with listing over 6 months to a year old is not really a "For Sale" section as much as it is a 'wishful thinking" section. Even though I am still willing to spend money on more cues, I have quit checking the FS section more than occasionally.

Just for the record: The phrase "I need more cues like a snail needs air brakes" is TRUE and hilarious. But they are pretty, and I do enjoy them.

asiasdad

Banned
The ads are the same overpriced cues from the same cue brokers
continuously clogging the FS section.

This is the primary reason for the FS section to be in the
pathetic state it is at present.

Separating "broker" listings from non-broker listings while creating yet another
subsection may be the only way to resurrect the FS section.

It would also thin out the hoards of overpriced cue listings by requiring these
known brokers to pay for their listings like Auto Trader does
in their publication and online. The fee would be good for 3 weeks of posting and
then require another payment to re-list if not sold in that period of time.

This would certainly remove many of these repeat offenders from re-listing
and/or have them face the reality of the market if they are truly trying to
sell the cue.

As for me, I will simply order direct from the cue maker and wait to
get exactly what I want rather than being scalped by these scalpers..er.. brokers.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too have become dismayed with the For Sale section.... tabbing through dozens of pages gets old QUICKLY...

phillygirl

Registered
I've used this section to sell one cue successfully and am trying to sell another. It's disheartening when one post is lost because of multiple posts from dealers, etc. this section should be organized differently - by dealer, by owner, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk