Mike Dechaine has no sponsors?

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I just listened to the American Billiard Radio podcast (great podcast btw) and Justin Bergman and Mike Dechaine were featured. Mike stated he currently has no sponsors and is a free agent, with the exception of an APA sponsorship for the upcoming Mosconi Cup.

I find it hard to believe that the #2 player in America can't get a sponsorship. Surely he can't be that bad of a guy. I've met him a few times and he was always cordial with me.

SOMEONE SPONSOR THIS MAN!

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I will sponsor him. The agreement is if he pays me $100/month he can tell anyone he wants that I am sponsoring him.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
He's really not a bad guy. He's got a bit of a reputation but realistically
that can only help sponsors, people tune in to watch the players who cause controversy.
And he can actually play.

He was sponsored by OB before, did that stop? Cuz he's still on the website.
I remember he had a deal with predator before and switched to OB a couple of years ago.
Did he switch again, or do something to annoy the company?

I'm surprised OB has only like 3 high level pros they're sponsoring,
and I'm not 100% sure if Phil Burford is considered a top pro.
If they remove mike they only have Alison Fisher as a household name being sponsored.
Are all the pros going with Predator now?

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of his character or personality or whatever, the fact that the #2 player in the USA has no sponsors is a pathetic commentary on the state of pool in North America.

I don't care how much of a douche you are, the #2 anybody in ANY other sport/activity has sponsors up to wazoo for big $.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike started to appear on the CDX website just before last year's Super Billiards Expo but that company was driven into the ground not long after.

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On another note, Max Eberle has just stated that Dechaine's f***ing enormous round head is actually flat.
At a recent tournament a kid said to Max " But there's Dechaine right over there, you can see his head is round."
Max just smiled and said" smoke and mirrors my friend, smoke and mirrors."

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue with pool is that there is not that much money flowing into the businesses, outside of a few top companies, and it looks like many are now overseas. China has a gazillion people, a growing market for pool sports and trains their robot players like they do the other sports. They get locked in a room at age 4, do stroke drills till they are 8, then get locked in another room to learn to play till 16 then are released to feed on the capitalists :):D See the recent Chinese 8 Ball and Joy tables taking over news and sponsorship. In one of the Tar Podcasts SVB even said he went to China to meet with his sponsor (it's where Justin showed Shane's $10 case).

There is only so much money the companies can spend on sponsoring pros, I don't see any of them doing more than a couple at a time for anything major. Heck, most "sponsorship" I see are just for equipment and maybe a tournament here and there, not travel costs. Kamui had some kids join them at Junior Nationals, which included them getting a few tips and some chalk.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only does he not have sponsors. He's been kicked off of the Joss
tour and the predator tour. This means he can't play the turning Stone events. He did this to himself

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tour and the predator tour. This means he can't play the turning Stone events. He did this to himself

How old is he? Nearly thirty?

Yes, that's pretty sad that he has no sponsorship considering his talent.
I don't blame it on the industry. I blame the player, or any player in any sport who has
immense talent yet fails to possess formal sponsorship.

People watch, people talk, people listen.
As sorry I am for MD to not be supported, I hope he continues to mature.

MD said it himself on this very forum a while ago that he has "changed;"
based on what this thread suggests, no, MD, you haven't.

For some people it's a slow process to maturity.
For others, it never truly comes (as in Earl).
Blame it on upbringing and/or blame it on an inability to adjust to adulthood.

In whatever case, it's the (now) adult who must pick up their bootstraps and grow up.

Hang in there, MD.
Hopefully you will finally grow up within the next ten years or so.

Last edited:

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Really???

How does one get kicked off a tour? And why?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue with pool is that there is not that much money flowing into the businesses, outside of a few top companies, and it looks like many are now overseas. China has a gazillion people, a growing market for pool sports and trains their robot players like they do the other sports. They get locked in a room at age 4, do stroke drills till they are 8, then get locked in another room to learn to play till 16 then are released to feed on the capitalists :):D See the recent Chinese 8 Ball and Joy tables taking over news and sponsorship. In one of the Tar Podcasts SVB even said he went to China to meet with his sponsor (it's where Justin showed Shane's $10 case).

There is only so much money the companies can spend on sponsoring pros, I don't see any of them doing more than a couple at a time for anything major. Heck, most "sponsorship" I see are just for equipment and maybe a tournament here and there, not travel costs. Kamui had some kids join them at Junior Nationals, which included them getting a few tips and some chalk.

Over the last few weeks I've been seeing a bunch of Joy Material ( man, that's sounds bad...... ) Announcing SVB is now " their " front man ".

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I would have though the Spastic Chalkers Association would be all over it.