Table Design and Function - 2 Questions

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glenn can tell you more than a few things about pool tables and the design of them. Why can't you utilize his 30 years of being the best? If I were Brunswick or Diamond, I would hire him and put him training pool table mechanics all over the world.

I have no doubt in my mind that Glen is a table expert and have never suggested otherwise.

And this is not a question of using his expertise or not.
It's not a question of anyone's expertise.

Its basically an open forum discussion of what people think about new features or design elements, not existing "problems" with tables or table makers.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of those people who say they hate drama... not realizing that the only people who continually deal with drama in their lives are the ones who create it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about having some kind of built-in grippers that keep the cloth under tension? Like a hundred vise-grips on bungee cords but designed for the purpose. No glue, no staples except maybe around the pockets.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glenn, just curious have you ever worked on one of those "gyro" self leveling systems for pool tables on cruise ships? How much do those systems cost ( ballpark )?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about having some kind of built-in grippers that keep the cloth under tension? Like a hundred vise-grips on bungee cords but designed for the purpose. No glue, no staples except maybe around the pockets.

I do like the idea of having an easy way to be able to "re-tighten" the cloth at any given time. Or that it could keep itself under the same amount of tension constantly over time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glenn, just curious have you ever worked on one of those "gyro" self leveling systems for pool tables on cruise ships? How much do those systems cost ( ballpark )?
In case anyone hasn't seen this before, here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DNGjGH-IB8

With the motion and the pink cloth, I'm about to ....

I looked into being an instructor/tournament director on one of those ships. The deal is that you get to be on the ship and show people how to play pool and only have to pay $50/day for your food. You have to get yourself to/from the port.

As for the cost of the table, I think it's going to be pretty high. Only the largest class of cruise ships have them. I'm guessing $100k.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In case anyone hasn't seen this before, here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DNGjGH-IB8

With the motion and the pink cloth, I'm about to ....

I looked into being an instructor/tournament director on one of those ships. The deal is that you get to be on the ship and show people how to play pool and only have to pay $50/day for your food. You have to get yourself to/from the port.

As for the cost of the table, I think it's going to be pretty high. Only the largest class of cruise ships have them. I'm guessing $100k.
It appears the CB is bigger and heavier than the OBs, kind of like the old coin-ops. I assume maybe it needs to be bigger and heavier, so as not to roll off as bad. It still looks like the CB is rolling off quite a bit as it slows down.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I do like the idea of having an easy way to be able to "re-tighten" the cloth at any given time. Or that it could keep itself under the same amount of tension constantly over time.

I myself am not there yet with the spare time and materials to try it out, however using
two sided tape coupled with the rails being end bolted seems like plenty of hold for road trips/ setup,
for the gaming purposes coming up.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Maybe industrial strength Velcro sewn on the far edges of the cloth & stapled to the slate backing.
Rails with easy accessible bolt systems. Loosen the bolts... stretch the cloth... press down Velcro.