Snooker set up on 44" x 88" table

Brizzle

Registered
My question is there a standard of how many reds to rack up on 8 foot table? 15 or 10
Im very new to snooker and would like to start playing on 8 foot home table.
Can i safely mark up table without hurting felt?
Any recommendations on brand of snooker balls.
It looks like current set around 2.25". Regular pool balls.

Thank you

MKEDon

Registered
My question is there a standard of how many reds to rack up on 8 foot table? 15 or 10
Im very new to snooker and would like to start playing on 8 foot home table.
Can i safely mark up table without hurting felt?
Any recommendations on brand of snooker balls.
It looks like current set around 2.25". Regular pool balls.

Thank you

I don’t believe there’s a “standard”, but on a smaller table you’re definitely going to want to use fewer reds, otherwise the table will get cluttered quickly. I had a 9 foot set up for a while and just used cue chalk to mark the spots and D. A little temporary but it works fine if you don’t want to commit to marking the felt.

Side note..look into “power snooker”. The game is a little faster pace, and more of a “shooters game”, but still sticks to the same basic format and tactics. Plus you only use 9 reds. It’s an absolute BLAST and a good intro to the game for more casual players.

2.25 balls are what you want for the big standard pool pockets and cushion height. Pocket reducers are a good investment if you want to make the game more challenging, which it should be for snooker. I’ve got a set of barely used ones I’d be willing to sell for a bit less than new if you decided to go that route. Personally I’d just pick up some cheap balls to get started, then pony up for the Aramith if you decide the game is right for you. Though once you’ve played a bit of snooker, I can’t imagine going back to anything else.

Have fun and Happy Holidays!
Don

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
When playing out and waiting for the snooker table, my brother and I would set up a standard table with 6 'reds' and 'colors' and play our version of 'snooker'. We used six stripes as the reds in a six ball triangle and the correct (as possible) colored solids as the colors. Then play stripe - solid - repeat.

1 ball - yellow for 2
6 ball - green for 3
5 ball - orange for 4
2 ball - blue for 5
3 ball - red for 6
8 ball - black for 7

To spot the yellow and green put a spare ball on the scratch line at the first and third diamonds then spot the 'colors' frozen to them. This gives enough room to pot the blue in the balk corners off the spot. We had to imagine the 'D' of course. The black went center table at the first diamond line.

If you try this at a public table you're going to attract some curious people.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker on a Pool Table

I play snooker on my 9' Gold Crown pool table. I got the Aramith 2 1/4" Premier snooker ball set, no numbers. I marked the cloth on the table with the Dritz tailor's marking pen (Dritz 667 Tailor's Marking Set).

It's a bit crowded with 15 reds, and we've played with 10, but 15 works. On an 8' table I think you'd want to use 10 reds, max.