Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Big bucks for old production cues? Are you nuts!?
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-18-2016, 05:03 AM

My take on any old stuff is: old means cheap.
And: there is no value in something old from a certain manufacturer, but only if this piece has a certain character no other thing has.

The market fortunately is dead

Old
  (#32)
Shawn Armstrong
Abooboo No Neck
Shawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
The general vote is in and it's been discussed before many times........The Schon cues from the 80's are judged as the best made Schon cues.....better than the later years.....
just search the threads about the cues that Bob Runde made versus Evan Clarke, not that Evan isn't a talented cue-maker but the Schons that Bob made just play better. The
hit feels better.......and I've compared well over 50 Schon cues over the past 30 years and the original R series of cues from Schon was outstanding.

Matt B.
That's your opinion. I found quite a variance in the "Runde" Schons (most people don't know that Evan made a lot of those so called "Runde" Schons) because of the construction techniques. Evan made the cues more consistent when he started introducing his techniques into the Schon recipe. Some people seem to think there's a mystique surrounding the older Schons. The newer ones seem to hit more consistently, from cue to cue. That's my opinion, anyways, and I have owned a lot of Schons.

Old
  (#33)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post
My take on any old stuff is: old means cheap.
And: there is no value in something old from a certain manufacturer, but only if this piece has a certain character no other thing has.

The market fortunately is dead
Not really. My wife as a hobby had a thrift store for a while. It was amazing what she would get her hands on. She sold 10 of thousands on dollars worth of stuff over the years that could have early been found on a trash pile. The value of something is a willing seller and a willing buyer. In reality, nothing is really worth anything. A chair is a chair as long as you can sit in it.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."
Thomas A. Edison

Old
  (#34)
Sealegs50
AzB Silver Member
Sealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 06:58 AM

I don’t think there are absolute rules regarding value and qualities in production cues. New production cues are generally very good. But some of the older production cues were quite good, too. I wouldn’t buy an older production cue over the internet. But I would remain open-minded to any cues you can try and decide. I bought a semi-custom Joss in 1985 (production model that was ordered to my specs) and paid ~$200 for it. I don’t think I could get more than that for the cue now. The cue is still my league player, is still straight, and IMO would be a bargain for anybody if I were to sell it (which I won’t). My 1992 Meucci S/P is another old winner that won’t be sold until after I’m gone.

It might be easy to criticize production cuemakers. But I applaud anybody who contributes to keeping people excited about going back to pool halls to play pool.

Old
  (#35)
jus4funbilliard
AzB Silver Member
jus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1174

05-18-2016, 07:56 AM

I've had eight Huebler cues,still have three never had a warp issue.

jus4funbilliards@roadrunner.com
Player. Zinzola w- 314
Breaker Huebler Jump cue Double A Custom cues

Old
  (#36)
Dave-Kat
AzB Silver Member
Dave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 09:08 AM

I like the analogy of 70's-80's production cue's to 60's Muscle cars crazy increase in values. They are going to become more valuable if you have a good one.

Allot of 'Boomers' might want to go back in time and will pay for the opportunity even though the cars of today are light years ahead in performance, handling and overall value.

I like old cues. I have a beautiful 70's vintage 4 pointer ADAM that was sent out for re-finish. Builder informed me that it was produced at a time when Helmstetter was using Titleist's for blanks until his stash ran short. He wanted to buy it from me. I passed. Nice $25 Flea market find

Have a good day,

-Kat,

Old
  (#37)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 09:27 AM

1987-1989, about half the players in any room I went to (East Texas, Western Louisiana and Georgia) were playing with Meucci, about a third were playing with McDermott (mostly the newer D line, some C models) and the rest were a mix of Viking, Mali, etc. The Meucci Sneaky Pete was a pretty nice hitting cue IMHO, and no one thought otherwise...the rest of the line, however, another story. I saw two separate Meucci forearms (different models) SHATTER into multiple pieces, one on a break shot, the other on a firm draw stroke. This was pre-1990, so I'm not talking about the 90s models that everyone seems to agree were crap.

Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: Gulyassy PHX, with SPT shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
-R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Schon SL19/STL17 (retired, again )
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)

Old
  (#38)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Sad...just sad.

Some of the nicest Meucci cues ever produced were in the 1990's.

Not all Meucci cues are created equal. Some are really good.

If you were unlucky and got a couple bad ones...well you were unlucky.

Old
  (#39)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Kat View Post
I like the analogy of 70's-80's production cue's to 60's Muscle cars crazy increase in values. They are going to become more valuable if you have a good one.

Allot of 'Boomers' might want to go back in time and will pay for the opportunity even though the cars of today are light years ahead in performance, handling and overall value.

I like old cues. I have a beautiful 70's vintage 4 pointer ADAM that was sent out for re-finish. Builder informed me that it was produced at a time when Helmstetter was using Titleist's for blanks until his stash ran short. He wanted to buy it from me. I passed. Nice $25 Flea market find

Have a good day,

-Kat,

An Adam made from Titlist blank from a "stash", implying a Brunswick blank and not an Adam made Titlist blank?

Adam made Titlist type veneer blanks. But the way you are stating it implies that the cue was made from a Brunswick made Titlist blank. That would amaze me.

I want to see it.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#40)
TNOriginals
AzB Silver Member
TNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond reputeTNOriginals has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Seeing as how this guy says Meucci Originals hit bad and are worthless.... anyone have any for sale?

I'm your sucker!!!

Old
  (#41)
bigchase
AzB Silver Member
bigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond reputebigchase has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 01:06 PM

I've hit with many different cues but hit is subjective the only way I can think of getting a good idea of how each different brand of cue hit. Is to have a bunch of different cues but they would all have to have the same tip on them. Kind of hard to compare the hit of various cues if every cue has a different tip. The tip is going to change the feel of the hit you might have had a cue that you could have liked the hit but it had a tip you're not used to causing you to not like the hit at all. Just my opinion so I'm open to hear your opinion as well.

I'm always looking for old Mali's if any of you have some that are looking to part with. For purely sentimental reasons I worked for Mali a long time ago before I joined the USMC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Semper Fidelis

Old
  (#42)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-18-2016, 09:36 PM

How about Cuetec?

dumluk

Old
  (#43)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMas View Post
How about Cuetec?
LOL!

Not been around long enough for any of them to be "old" IMHO. Aren't they still in Beta?

I feel the same way about Falcon.

I love it when people advertise a "old vintage" "original" Predator. Really? Old? They still seem pretty new to me. Aren't they still working the bugs out of those things? Still pretty controversial. I probably have socks older than the first one they made.

I guess my age is showing.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Last edited by Chopdoc; 05-19-2016 at 04:36 AM.

Old
  (#44)
CMarshall
D player at best
CMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond reputeCMarshall has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2016, 06:09 PM

When I was a kid in my early twenties, I frequented a pool hall in Torrance, CA. ALL the main guys there played with Mcdermott Cues at the time. The cue to have was the C-21. I could never afford one back then and I always dreamed of having one. A few years back, I found one in a pawn shop, I paid a very reasonable price for it and I love it!

I use it often on my home table. I tend not to take it out though, just every now & then. I'm just too paranoid of it being ripped off. I didn't buy it as an investment but I doubt i'll lose money on it if I were to sell it. But, I don't think I will sell it either! It plays nice, it has two original maple shafts and I just enjoy having it. It's my most coveted cue and I think it's worth a lot. What's a lot? I dunno…a least a grand? To me, that's a lot!! It's worth more to me in sentimental value than anything. It's a cue I've wanted since the early 80's.

Old
  (#45)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2016, 06:18 PM

This may be all psychological I don't know, but I remember in the old days playing with the Joss' and McDermotts and loved the hit. Then years later played with newer models and not so much. I'd even say I prefer the old logo Scuggs' and old logo Freys to the new logo ones. One could argue there MAY be a difference in the Scuggs' but should be no difference what so ever in the Freys. Like I said maybe just psychological . I think it may be that in general most things used to be made better, built to last not everything to be made disposable like today and this thought carries over to cues????

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: