Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page how are ya'll doing in league ?

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#2596)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-13-2016, 08:20 PM

Thursday 9 ball. I faced a 4 and won 38-20 in a 38-31 race. Prior to tonight I have always tried to play conservative when left hard. Twice tonight I resorted to what people have done to me in that situation......that is smack the heck out the ball and hope for the best lol. That method always seems to work for my opponents.either something falls and they continue shooting or I am left hard if nothing falls. Both times for me ended with the cue ball getting knocked due to ball flying around. My opponent got a total of 9 points with both bih situations so It could have been a 38-11 win for me with out those 2 idiotic shots by me. So much for that experiment.. I am going to leave that crap for the guys who at pros at it.

Friday night scotch doubles where we also play 4 singles matches. I faced the same 6 in both 8 and 9. Won 8 ball 4-2 in a 4-5 race. Won 9 ball 38-24 in a 38-46 race. Owe the win to my breaking which has been slowly improving thanks to some advice from a 9 . Oh yea I traded my Alex brick for a brand new predator bk 3 . It seems to break better but new cues seem to improve you for a while.

I chose to sit out the scotch doubles matches tonight

Interesting delimna tonight also. Our opponents had only 2 players there as the other 2 where in Vegas with other teams that play on. The 2 players that showed were the 6 and 7 which combined for a 13 handicap in 9 ball and a 12 handicap in 8. You are allowed a maximum of 11 in singles and 10 in doubles. I elected to let them play instead of forfeit. We still won 8 ball 4-3 and tied 9 ball 30-30. Yea I know....i am a good sportsman . I know several captains that would have taken the easy wins.

Old
  (#2597)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2016, 10:14 PM

I suspected I had the makings of a good team on Sunday night.

They showed mw tonight just how good we can be
9 ball

I threw a 5-5-5-5-1
Them. 7-6-4-4-2
We won 73-27

8 ball

I threw a 5-5-5-3-2 I could have thrown 4- 5's and a 3
Them. 6-5-4-3-3
We won 10-2

As for me...i won 9 ball 38-24 vs their 6 for a score of 16-4
Won 8 ball 4-1 vs the same player but he is a 5 in 8 ball

I happened to pick up a 6 for this team the other night. A new guy from north Carolina. Hope he is better than the new guy who was a 6 from Michigan last session who quit and moved back home this session. This guy asked me the make up of my team the other night. I told him 5-5's ...3 and a 2 in 8 ball .....5-5's ...a 2 and a 1 in 9 ball.

He said...you dont have a high level player to go against other high level players ? I replied that every 5 on my team is capable of competing with higher level players and that 3 of us have been 6's at one time or another. He just looked at me dumbfounded lol. Wish he would have been there tonight...it would have made a believer out of him lol

Old
  (#2598)
CGM
One Ball Runner
CGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2016, 06:58 AM

I seem to be regressing. I started out on fire in 8 to start this session, but the last 4 weeks I have just been playing poorly. There is something way off as I seem to be overcutting everything and I have the yips. Im missing layups on money balls and its killing me. I need some lessons.

I do a hell of a job working around the holes.
Trust me aimings not your problem

Old
  (#2599)
bobprobst
AzB Silver Member
bobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond reputebobprobst has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2016, 02:06 PM

We're 13 points ahead in 8 ball for the session with 2 weeks left to play. As long as we don't take any bad beats we should be good.

We led 9 ball for most of the session until the 2nd place team slipped into 1st place 3 weeks back. We played them last week. We were only 3 points behind them going in and then won the match 60-40.

Old
  (#2600)
ElLeon
Headshot
ElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2016, 10:13 AM

We placed 64th in 9-ball at the World Pool Championships.

The interesting part was that the team who beat us in the 1st round (From Mississippi), and the team which knocked us out (From Louisiana) played each other in day 4.

The team which knocked us out won, and was later disqualified from the event in 5th place. My suspicion was that their two players who signed up as 3's had been bumped to 5's (they were SL 4 when our teams met). You know it will be a tough match when the person who "was a 3 last match" is playing 3-rail position shots, carom defenses and full-table draw shots....

Ultimately, based on what we saw, and that they were silly enough to sign those players up as SL 3 in the first place, they deserved to be disqualified. A shame as they were really nice people. Even after being disqualified, I would have been happy to have a beer with any of those guys. Too bad they were a bit to aggressive with their beginning skill level sign-ups.

• Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

• But then smarter Albert Einstein said, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”

Old
  (#2601)
nine_ball6970
585 speed drunk
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2016, 07:20 AM

Pretty disappointing week. I have been drinking way too much before my league matches and that usually leads to a poor performance.

Monday I played NAPA 10 ball. Race was 7-5 and I lost 1-5. Just couldn't finish off a game and he kept cleaning up what was left.

Tuesday I played NAPA 8 ball. Race was 6-4 and I lost 2-4. He got a couple lucky rolls but I didn't get out when I was supposed to. I kept trying for some tough breakouts that I shouldn't have.

For lower ranked 8 ball players. You will win lots more games if you stay out of "One ball hell." This refers to only having one ball left on the table when you aren't able to run out. This puts the game hugely in your opponents favor if they have multiple balls to play safe with or block a pocket for your last ball. keep more of your balls in play if you don't have the opportunity to run out. 8 ball is more about forcing your opponent to make mistakes and then capitalizing on those mistakes.

One of my favorite quotes by Oscar Dominguez is: Most games are not won. They are lost. That was definitely true this week.

Old
  (#2602)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

08-17-2016, 06:03 PM

We had little smack talk going on last night between me and the opposing captain of a team I used to play on.

Back story first if you dont mind. 3 years ago my Sunday night double jeapordy was in the ltc finals in both 8 and 9 ball. My team lost 8 ball and we won 9 ball. This guy captained both of those teams on different nights. Not sure but I think he has 6 teams total. Anyway every time this captain saw me he asked me to join one of his teams.

This went on for 2 years....every time my Tue night team faced him....every tri cup or ltc when he saw me he would ask me. During this time my Tue night team was going through some drastic changes. Our captain left and I was asked to become captain but declined. We made this other guy who was a likeable fellow but only a s/l 3 be captain.....bad mistake. Could not match people up worth crap....got new players who played worse than he did. He would up getting this new girl who was a 2 to be co captain. Now I am a happy go lucky ....dont care for any drama and tries to get along with every one type of guy.

However......i just did not like this girl. The only person who I have ever met that grated on my nerves from day one but I kept my mouth shut ...showed up and played my matches then left.

One day I look up on the web to see who we play that night. Dont see my teams name...wait a minute ...wtf is this ? Oh hell no . I txt my team captain and ask...wth ? Why is our team name changed from assasins to snow white and the 7 dorks ? He said the co captain thought since we had a new team we oughta have a new name. I said ...you did not ask any body before you changed it ? He said she was supposed to have okayed it with everyone the previous week. I said ...well she did not ask me and I ain't playing on a team called snow white and the 7 dorks. He said he would get rich back with me. 15 minutes later he txt's back and asked if styxx and stones was an ok name and u said yea.

Well when I get to league that night I can tell she is pissed but she don't say anything to me. She did the matching up and sat me out. Guess it was her way of showing me she still had a say in who played even if she did not get her way on the name change. She started sitting me out quite a bit....best player on the team....no ego...just a fact. So u said fvck this and called the captain I mentioned earlier and he had it me on his Tue night team.

Fast forward a year later to last night. I get to league and face my old team. Match time starts and my old captain asked ...where is your team ? I replied most are in Vegas with the captains other teams. He replied ...i guess you joined the wrong team and laughed. He then introduced me to a guy and said this is your replacement....i said ..oh yeah? He is a 3 lol .

Well we had me ..a 4 and 2-3's . He put up a 7....3-4's and a 3.

I won 4-0. Our team lost 8-7. As my old captain and I were signing each others sheets I said.....well now....most of our better players are in Vegas.....our worse player had to play twice and we only lost by 1 point. It looks to me like I joined the right team and bus smiled at him .

Old
  (#2603)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

08-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Well after being on a roll winning left and right for the last 2weeks I got a dose of reality last night.

I aint unbeatable after all. I faced a 3 last night in 9 ball and thought it was gonna be a cake walk . Boy was I wrong. I lost 25-29 in a 25-38 race.

He did not miss anything....played pretty sporty position for a 3 and made me pay when he got 2 bih off me. He had a very good night and my shooting was not bad. Wow !

Old
  (#2604)
jus4funbilliard
AzB Silver Member
jus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1174

08-20-2016, 07:53 PM

Finished tied for 129th at APA nationals, made it into the money. Not to bad.

jus4funbilliards@roadrunner.com
Player. Zinzola w- 314
Breaker Huebler Jump cue Double A Custom cues

Old
  (#2605)
derekdisco
We woulda won state!
derekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond reputederekdisco has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

08-21-2016, 03:39 AM

Finished first

Old
  (#2606)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

08-22-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus4funbilliard View Post
Finished tied for 129th at APA nationals, made it into the money. Not to bad.
It was a fun week back here, watching for the reports of your teams matches, and the two 9-ball teams that went also. And our friend in Texas, as well... Our little area was well represented by you folks.

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#2607)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-22-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekdisco View Post
Finished first
World Champion, Disco!

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#2608)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-22-2016, 11:47 PM

My league is finally done for the session, but starting up in two weeks. My 3-man team won the division, and I won the end-of-session tournament. It's a chess handicapped league (like Fargo or Argonne leagues), with the winner of the lag choosing 8, 9, or 10-ball to determine the race. I didn't lose a single game in the entire tournament

We won a lot for one session, one division and only three people. About $2800. To me, that's shocking.

Freddie <~~~ almost halfway back

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#2609)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

08-24-2016, 06:01 PM

Man what a long day Sunday.

Masters starts at 2:00. No one from the other team showed. I have double jeapordy at 7:00 and its just too far to drive home and then back to the pool hall for 7:00 matches....so I hung out all day and practiced some.

5:00 another master came up to me and asked if I wanted to finish our match from last time that we had to stop cue to double jeapordy starting. I said sure. We had stopped tied at 2-2 in 8 ball. I won the 5 th 8 ball and we started 9 ball I wound up winning the match 7-4.

We then had Sunday night playoffs.

I won 8 ball vs another 5 by 4-3 in a very tough match. Lost 9 ball 38-36 vs another 5 I. Another tough match. Funny how every one seems to pick up a gear in playoffs

Old
  (#2610)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

08-24-2016, 06:12 PM

Oh yea....during playoffs I took a quick bath ruin break while my opponent was racking. On the way to the bathroom I was approached by a guy who wants me to join his Sunday afternoon scotch doubles. I pause long enough to tell him no. He follows me to the bathroom and is pleading for me to join while I am taking a piss....damn !

I tell him maybe just to get rid if him

Found out yesterday 4 people are leaving my wed night team to join other teams. Seems like they dint like our captain.

Today I find out my Sunday night co captain is going to start bus own team. No problem there but he took 3 of my players with him. . Good luck to him . If i get who i want I will have a better team and be rid of 2 cocky players who think they are better than they really are. I like the guys but I can't stand cocky. Confident Is what I want from my players...not cocky.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: