Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page I'm quitting APA😞..Lost the local APA Championship last night
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-20-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
Btw...although I am.only a 5 I pls masters also. Even though I get my butt handed to me sometimes I also try to learn some thing from every match.

Quite honestly ....some times its no fun . Like last sunday. I had a 7/8 put a 3 pack on me in 8 ball and a 3 pack on me in 9 ball.

I have had a couple of 9's put 5 and 6 packs on me every time I pls them. Do tap 7's honestly do that routinely ? If they do they are sandbaggers.

Dont tell me tap players dont sandbag. The tap organization is apparently aware of its sandbagging problem as its the only league I know of that has one set of handicaps for regular session and another set for tournaments as it seems there is a prevalance of players who " suddenly " play a whole lot better in tournaments than regular session.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones
TAP ranking maxes out at 7, so a 7 in TAP is same as a 9 in APA 9 ball. You can't sandbag as a 7 LOL The biggest obstacle in fair rankings is players that don't say anything and league operators that don't care.
Someone posted that they have to spot someone in league when they get the spot when they gamble, that is crazy. Just tell whoever runs the league the player is a known player that is cheating to keep his rating down. And yes I think that trying to keep your handicap down or lying about your skill to get a lower rating in a tournament is as much cheating as moving a ball when someone is not looking or anything else. I have no respect for those people, scum of the earth.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 12-20-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Old
  (#77)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-20-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
TAP ranking maxes out at 7, so a 7 in TAP is same as a 9 in APA 9 ball. You can't sandbag as a 7 LOL The biggest obstacle in fair rankings is players that don't say anything and league operators that don't care.
Someone posted that they have to spot someone in league when they get the spot when they gamble, that is crazy. Just tell whoever runs the league the player is a known player that is cheating to keep his rating down. And yes I think that trying to keep your handicap down or lying about your skill to get a lower rating in a tournament is as much cheating as moving a ball when someone is not looking or anything else. I have no respect for those people, scum of the earth.
My bad...did not know tap maxed out at 7. Still stand behind the rest of my post though

And yea...i agree with your post entirely .

Old
  (#78)
APA Operator
AzB Silver Member
APA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond reputeAPA Operator has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsoldier71 View Post
I complained for years about the sandbagging. My LO responded by upping me too high at city finals. I won by a hair and we got to super 16 in Vegas.
Anybody else see anything strange in this statement?

Some of the biggest complainers are the people who think it should be easy. It's supposed to be hard. How can you be too high and still win at all, much less get to the top 16 out of hundreds of teams in Vegas?

Old
  (#79)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
My bad...did not know tap maxed out at 7. Still stand behind the rest of my post though

And yea...i agree with your post entirely .
Apparently there is also some secret "partial" ratings you can see as a league owner/runner in TAP also. When I first joined TAP (played 2 seasons a few years ago), they set you as a 3 and you play another player even, then base your ranking on that one match.

I played well and won 3 games easily with pretty much 0 mistakes. Next week, I was not only a 7, but I was told I was a 7 point something which made me the highest ranked TAP player in the Eastern region LOL

I soon dropped down to a 6 and stayed there. Funny thing is that when the USAPL league started in my area, they play 3 matches to get your rating. The rating goes from 30-125. Everyone started as a 50 since we were all new to the league. After 3 matches, I looked at my ranking and I was a 125! I was maxed out and put in the level of an A or A+ player! Again, I soon dropped down to about the 90-100 level but not before getting my butt kicked in the first few matches as a 125. The lesson is not to play at your top speed when getting your rankings LOL

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#80)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APA Operator View Post

Some of the biggest complainers are the people who think it should be easy. It's supposed to be hard. How can you be too high and still win at all, much less get to the top 16 out of hundreds of teams in Vegas?
Yea I saw it but did not bother responding.....you know the saying....can't fix stupid

It does puzzle me how you can be raised " too " high and still win..

Years ago I did my share of complaining about peoples handicap. Then I started noticing some people I complained about were being raised. It was not due to my complaint though . It was due to the fact the handicap system does work If you ensure the score sheets are filled out properly.

I find It hard to believe a lo.would raise some ones handicap just because you complained about some one else lol

Old
  (#81)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Yea I saw it but did not bother responding.....you know the saying....can't fix stupid....
No, maybe not, but you can beat it out of some people

Old
  (#82)
DCS_SF
AzB Silver Member
DCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond reputeDCS_SF has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APA Operator View Post

Yes we see it, but the poster and OP don't.

People will never stop *****ing about handicaps, ever.

However you are a league operator and therefore the devil, and your constant evaluation and adjustment of my game (aling with the APA algorithm) tells me you are are cheating me!

PS - If you happen to be LO (which you probably aren't) please don't up any of my lower rank players before our Hawaii tournament or I will start a thread about what a cheater you are and how much handicaps and leagues suck. Two or more threads if I actually lose. I will stomp my feet and act like a baby and threaten to quit.

Old
  (#83)
Skippy27
AzB Silver Member
Skippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkat View Post
I'm NOT upset we lost but because of TWO other factors:
1) Some lower ranked players are not open to learning. They get upset because you called a timeout and things like that. That is not a winning team environment!!
You have to remember that you need low players on your team. Some just want to play as a social thing and enjoy being with a team but have no desire to improve. They "may" get better over time, but don't really care. However, they bring stability to your team in that they will play with you for extended sessions, remain at the same rating and you will learn their strengths and weaknesses to assist in coaching. They do need to learn when to take a coach and to accept one being forced upon them, especially when it is at a crucial time. I would never remove a player for not being "good enough", but I would certainly remove them for not taking coaches when they should.

Old
  (#84)
Bigkat
AzB Silver Member
Bigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond reputeBigkat has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2016, 11:16 AM

@hang_The_9
You're clearly better than I am. Idk what I would be in TAP though. Probably a 5 since you're a 6

Old
  (#85)
jmarcum1984
AzB Bronze Member
jmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond reputejmarcum1984 has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2016, 12:10 PM

I am not sure if it is sangbagging, but I play guys during regular session that miss 3 or 4 times a rack, win some lose some, but then in a tournament that counts, they run 5 or 6 balls consistently and get out. I know some just play for fun during session, but then buckle down during playoffs, but that puts those of us that try hard to win every week a skill level or even two higher than the guys that goof off all session. Last night our solid 6 had a very hard time beating a 4 that usually misses several times during a rack, but last night ran out several racks. It went hill/hill, and then I think the lack of focus on a regular basis caught up to him and he didn't finish the last rack when he had the chance.

Old
  (#86)
Skippy27
AzB Silver Member
Skippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcum1984 View Post
I am not sure if it is sangbagging, but I play guys during regular session that miss 3 or 4 times a rack, win some lose some, but then in a tournament that counts, they run 5 or 6 balls consistently and get out.

Some players simply fall apart under pressure of league, but if they are shooting well during tournaments where the pressure is even higher than I would say without a doubt they are sandbagging, especially if they do it consistently. It is one thing to have a good night or maybe even a pretty good weekend. However, you have to work at it to do it consistently.

The teams in your division need to identify this and start marking those misses as defensive shots. If you are familiar with the player make note of how they change their playing style. I know one that when he is not shooting to win it takes him about 5 secs per shoot and he just moves his balls around the table, but then when he is trying to win he changes his entire preshot routine.

Old
  (#87)
goombavskoopa
AzB Bronze Member
goombavskoopa is on a distinguished road

12-24-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.serna View Post
The handicap seems right if the balls were that close but don't you think if you are highest rated in 8ball shouldn't you be highest rated in 9ball also which is an easier game??? so who is the real sandbagger?
I completely disagree. Some people see the pattern in one game better than the other. and In my personal opinion, 8 ball is the easier game. While there is more traffic and balls to work around....there's also more than one ball to shoot if you get snookered. in 9 ball if youre out of position than youre screwed

Dave C.

Playing Cue: Al Babin Custom with Predator Z3 shaft
Retired Cues: Palmer Custom // Players C945
Break Cue: Predator BK3
Jump Cue: Custom Made
Case: Predator 3X5
APA Skill Level: 5/4

Old
  (#88)
jus4funbilliard
AzB Silver Member
jus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1174

12-25-2016, 07:15 AM

I don't agree with the comment about doing well in tournaments and bad in league. I've been a six in Apa for a few years with a good win percentage, went to nationals last two years. Won a few big matches to help the team get there. Last two sessions gone to hell. Done ok in local tournaments. For some reason just lost total focus in Apa.

jus4funbilliards@roadrunner.com
Player. Zinzola w- 314
Breaker Huebler Jump cue Double A Custom cues

Old
  (#89)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

12-25-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus4funbilliard View Post
I don't agree with the comment about doing well in tournaments and bad in league. I've been a six in Apa for a few years with a good win percentage, went to nationals last two years. Won a few big matches to help the team get there. Last two sessions gone to hell. Done ok in local tournaments. For some reason just lost total focus in Apa.
I agree with you as far as how most people play but their are exceptions.some people such as myself play a whole lot more defense in playoffs or higher than they do durong regular session.

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: