Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Going to be flying to SBE this year, recommendations for carrying pool cues on plane
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
pogmothoin
AzB Gold Member
pogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsplitter View Post
I've been told by many tsa agents that it depends on the airport. Every airport has their own policy. Some

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
I flew out of Philly once to Phoenix. No problem carrying my cue on the plane with me. Same trip flying from Phoenix to Philly the TSA made me check the cue. Same cue, same case, different rules apparently.

Here's actually the safest way to travel with a cue. A little pricey but not considering the cost of some cues. This thing is built like a tank. The added benefit of doubling as a great gun case or vise versa. Extra foam is available for customization. Get a luggage tracker if you're really worried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Attached Images

Old
  (#32)
dkjshark
AzB Silver Member
dkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-22-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogmothoin View Post
I flew out of Philly once to Phoenix. No problem carrying my cue on the plane with me. Same trip flying from Phoenix to Philly the TSA made me check the cue. Same cue, same case, different rules apparently.

Here's actually the safest way to travel with a cue. A little pricey but not considering the cost of some cues. This thing is built like a tank. The added benefit of doubling as a great gun case or vise versa. Extra foam is available for customization. Get a luggage tracker if you're really worried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Thank you for the suggestion, can you use a lock on the luggage or will they deny carrying it?

Old
  (#33)
pogmothoin
AzB Gold Member
pogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjshark View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, can you use a lock on the luggage or will they deny carrying it?
Get a TSA approved lock. Not shilling for Amazon but her is a link to some choices. I'm sure there are others. But you get the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=FUWARD7UQIDT

Old
  (#34)
dkjshark
AzB Silver Member
dkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond reputedkjshark has a reputation beyond repute

02-22-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogmothoin View Post
Get a TSA approved lock. Not shilling for Amazon but her is a link to some choices. I'm sure there are others. But you get the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=FUWARD7UQIDT
Thank you, I will definitly buy one!

Old
  (#35)
Ekojasiloop
AzB Silver Member
Ekojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond reputeEkojasiloop has a reputation beyond repute

02-22-2017, 11:29 PM

I have a hard cue case. I wrap my case with cardboard before checking it and tape it up. Haven't had a problem yet. I just worry about directly exposing the case to the luggage machines, those things can be nasty.

Oh, and insert some newspaper at the top inside the case so there's no play, or room for the shafts and butts to move at all.

Old
  (#36)
dkjshark
AzB Silver Member

02-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekojasiloop View Post
I have a hard cue case. I wrap my case with cardboard before checking it and tape it up. Haven't had a problem yet. I just worry about directly exposing the case to the luggage machines, those things can be nasty.

Oh, and insert some newspaper at the top inside the case so there's no play, or room for the shafts and butts to move at all.
Thanks, good idea!

I made this years and years ago...
Old
  (#37)
SPetty
AzB Silver Member
SPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond reputeSPetty has a reputation beyond repute

I made this years and years ago... - 02-25-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
This is how my cue was returned to me. It was packed first in the hard case and second, with my clothes, in the larger travel bag.

I made my first work of art out of the finished product.

When I opened the cue case to put it back in the rack it came out in the two pieces you see here. It appears to be deliberately broken.
Wow, what a shame. That's a gorgeous cue! It could possibly have succumbed to the problem that caused me to not choose to carry my cue in a large suitcase.

Someone had one time suggested that if you have a large bag with your cue packed inside, the suitcase would likely end up on the bottom of the pile with a smaller bag on it and topped off by who knows how many other heavier bags. A cue might be relatively easy to snap or break under those conditions.

So the first time I had to fly with my cue after they made the STUPID rule that you could not carry your cues in their case as carry-on luggage, I built a cue case carrier to carry my cheap 2x2 out of huge PVC pipe 6". You can stuff other items in with the case, and you might want to due to the pop rivets that stick into the tube a little that hold the dog collars, but it wasn't difficult to make and I never had any trouble. I didn't put a lock on it because I figured they'd always want to have a look. The duct tape wrapping was added later once I learned how quickly and easily it got scuffed, and the duct tape pieces on the lid were to hold the chain down during transport so as to not muck up the machinery or the chain. This is not my original carrying strap which was metal and leather, but when you check the tube, you remove the carrying strap and add it to your carry-on.

The only time I almost had trouble was when I waited for it at the carousel and it never came. Turns out it was hanging out with the golf clubs in a separate collection area.

Just putting it out there and maybe it will cause someone to brainstorm an even better idea!

My second favorite was an aluminum rifle case, as mentioned here already. The least favorite was the soft sided case made specifically to carry your cue case. That would be good if your case is truly unbendable, then the soft case protects the finish of the case. And by unbendable, picture the case supported on each end with something very heavy in the middle. The soft case also had a LOT of room in it for additional clothing and such.

I don't fly with my cues any more, and have no need for this tube, but I don't think anyone else would want it either. So I still have it trying to figure out what else to use it for...

Sorry that Max is a spoiled rotten attention whore.
Attached Images

Last edited by SPetty; 02-25-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: duplicate pictures I'm an idiot that doesn't know how to handle pictures

Old
  (#38)
jus4funbilliard
AzB Silver Member
jus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond reputejus4funbilliard has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1174

02-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Been two Vegas last two years for nationals. Oversized duffel bag packed my clothes around my hard pool case.

jus4funbilliards@roadrunner.com
Player. Zinzola w- 314
Breaker Huebler Jump cue Double A Custom cues

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: