The critics have been silenced...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What was the statement and who was the person?

Lou Figueroa
testimony does not
automatically
equal truth
The guy who was racking and the text was "626 baby!" I had a further confirmation after they checked the count. (Previously a run of 421 that I was present for had been counted as 435 until the video was checked later. They were fully aware that a video count was needed.)

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
...and your point is?

The real takeaway is that for this exhibition Willy started with a setup ball in hand break shot.

Something that I thought you said he never did.

Now let's play devils advocate, say that he continued his run in the studio, until he pocketed 626 balls in a row.

Would you grant him a high run record?

A quick review of the video reveals very little to inform anyone of the basic start for 14.1 continuous straight pool per the various billiards organizations rules of the game. Same rules for competition as well as exhibitions. Just for clarification, this I've Got a Secret Show was broadcast about six years after Willie had a heart attack and five years after he officially retired from active competition and exhibitions.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy who was racking and the text was "626 baby!" I had a further confirmation after they checked the count. (Previously a run of 421 that I was present for had been counted as 435 until the video was checked later. They were fully aware that a video count was needed.)

I have to say that I fully think John is capable of running 626, but the fact that this run seems to only have been witnessed by one other person, was not streamed, and conveniently came the day after he discovered a "secret" of straight pool just does not sit 100% with me. If there is any cut or skip in the video, I would not allow the record. If he did it in front of an audience fine. But in front of 1 person and video released seemingly well after the fact? Not so sure of that to be frank.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Well said.

Way to go John, you not only set the NEW WORLD RECORD, you started the " When Willie was King" fan club.
Current membership is at 19 and counting.

New record holder at consecutive number of balls run not 14.1 Straight Pool :D

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wasn't there the guy who was racking for Mosconi -- Charlie Ursitti -- the day he ran just short of 600 at the Waldorf-Astoria?

My impression was that one guy, even one with Ursitti's credentials, wasn't considered sufficient evidence to declare a record.

Lou Figueroa

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Wasn't there the guy who was racking for Mosconi -- Charlie Ursitti -- the day he ran just short of 600 at the Waldorf-Astoria?

My impression was that one guy, even one with Ursitti's credentials, wasn't considered sufficient evidence to declare a record.

Lou Figueroa

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware that Mosconi or Ursitti were trying to claim the official record was 589 at any point.

Also, the 609 gets even more difficult. Only Mosconi accounts for it, not Ursitti, given available information. I've posted it in other threads.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

All the best,
WW

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware that Mosconi or Ursitti were trying to claim the official record was 589 at any point.

Also, the 609 gets even more difficult. Only Mosconi accounts for it, not Ursitti, given available information. I've posted it in other threads.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

All the best,
WW

I don't know about all that.

I was speaking to the run Mosconi made warming up for his match with Fats. No record was being attempted but I think that would be immaterial. He ran balls until he broke them wide open and had less than 14 to reach 600 and laid down his cue.

Charlie Ursitti was rackman and obviously the witness.

Lou Figueroa

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I don't know about all that.

No record was being attempted but I think that would be immaterial.

Lou Figueroa

Well, but aren't you the one who says a signed affidavit is the necessary standard in those days before video? That is what has held the 526 as the official record.

Just trying to understand...

All the best,
WW

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, but aren't you the one who says a signed affidavit is the necessary standard in those days before video? That is what has held the 526 as the official record.

Just trying to understand...

All the best,
WW

Yes, I said that about the affidavit for multiple witnesses -- so?

Now we seem to be talking about one guy.

Lou Figueroa

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I have to say that I fully think John is capable of running 626, but the fact that this run seems to only have been witnessed by one other person, was not streamed, and conveniently came the day after he discovered a "secret" of straight pool just does not sit 100% with me. If there is any cut or skip in the video, I would not allow the record. If he did it in front of an audience fine. But in front of 1 person and video released seemingly well after the fact? Not so sure of that to be frank.

In John’s Facebook thing he said there were about a dozen people watching that day, the pool hall had just opened up for regular customers.

I’m ready to see the video myself though that’s for sure

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad I started this thread.

I knew the haters and critics were idiots, but I didn't expect them to get this desperate and petty.

While John Schmidt reached new highs, these dregs have reached new lows!!!

Whose the idiot? You said the critics were silenced.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, well...John has broken the record.

John has broken it by 100 balls.

It is on VIDEO. There were witnesses.

It is the highest run ever confirmed. It is confirmed in the most reliable, indisputable and conclusive way. Nothing about it is subjective, it is purely objective. No hearsay. No BS.

I had a feeling that once he did this, all there would be left are the desperate ramblings of people saying so-and-so ran 700+ in some basement...and other unsubstantiated, mythical runs. Legends of pool. Do I personally believe some of the greats pulled off a higher run in practice or what not? Sure. I think it is very likely. I don't think it is a sure thing. But either way, it matters not as there's no evidence.

Mosconi's run was witnessed by a lot of people who signed on it. That is legit. All these other runs are mythical. Don't care what so and so said, who knew so and so who saw it themselves.

Let's see...is there anything the haters, Mosconi worshipers, and others can say to knock John?

Can they criticize the table? No, not compared to what Mosconi played on.

Some say it's not the same as John had many attempts. Well, that's BS too - because Mosconi routinely made exhibitions and routinely would continue runs to please the crowd. So he had many attempts too. Now..he may not have been completely committed to and determined to run as many as he could possibly run on each of his exhibitions, but nonetheless, this claim that it was his only high run attempt is bogus.

Oh, there's the claim that John wasn't playing an opponent. Is that even relevant when you're running 600+ balls? Deduct a full rack of 14 points to compensate for a starting position, he still broke the record. A match typically is played to 150. Again, irrelevant.

Ha, just waiting for someone to claim John was using performance-enhancing drugs. LOL.

Just give it up. Instead of trying to diminish John, recognize it as the greatest run ever. Mosconi's run is still great and always will be. Accomplished so long ago. Stood for so long as seemingly unbreakable.

It doesn't mean John is the greatest 14.1 player. Mosconi was better.

Very well said.
It seems pool has more naysayers than anything.
Anyone does something great, or in this case, phenomenal, and they come out of the woodwork to decry and debase. It makes me think that we deserve what little we get because we go out of our way to shoot ourselves in the foot. We cannot even appreciate or elevate one of our own. Not only was THE record crushed by 100 balls, but it was also done by an AMERICAN on AMERICAN soil. I mention this because I see many posts here and on FB about American pride, patriotism, etc.

Where is the love, the appreciation? And why isn't John being rightfully exalted for this magnificent achievement? Just this weekend I asked another player what he thought about the record being broken and he said calmly, "I don't give a sh**." John should be featured on ESPN in some segment, or on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel...something...anything in addition to a small segment on local news. We pool players are our own worst enemy and we won't hesitate to eat our young.

Last edited: