#2.Bushwacker Nolan

#3.Mike Davis

#4.Nick Varner

#5.Steve Moore:eek:

IMHO.Feel free to add your list AZ

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can you mention beautiful strokes and not put Corey Deuel on the list? Blasphemy! Haha, only kidding. I do admire his stroke as well as Cha-Ching Wu's.

Last edited:
9BallMarksman said:
How can you mention beautiful strokes and not put Corey Deuel on the list? Blasphemy! Haha, only kidding. I do admire his stroke as well as Cha-Ching Wu's.

As for ugly strokes, I DESPISE the way Tony Ellin strokes. He jumps up after every shot and his follow through is just plain weird. Makes me cringe.

Tony Ellin is no longer with us..show a little class please.:)

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cisero Murphy had a pretty ugly pre shot stroke. I think Freddy mentioned this in his new book. I know Cisero's nephew post here-hope I don't offend him, but his uncles stroke was pretty akward, even though he was an excellent player.

Last edited:

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barboxlegend21 said:

Some of the names such as Mosconi and the other old timers aren't with us either. The thread just asked who everyone thought has the prettiest and ugliest strokes.

Tony

sde

Silver Member
Billiards greatest strokes.

Barboxlegend21 said:
5 most Powerful strokes:
Semih Sayginer
#1.Mike Massey

#2.Jack Hines

#3.Larry Nevel

#4.Earl Strickland

#5.Cole Dickson

5 prettiest strokes:#1.Rodney Morris

#2.Wade Crane

#3.Louie Roberts

#4.Jimmy Mataya

#5.Willie Mosconi

5 ugliest strokes:#1.Dick Lane

#2.Bushwacker Nolan

#3.Mike Davis

#4.Nick Varner

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
You know what would be cool? A video compilation of different strokes showing them at a good angle.

Now someone go make it!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barboxlegend21 said:

He was a helluv a player and getting better when we lost him, RIP, nice guy too first class.

Alan Hopkins dosent have a stroke, but what ever you want to call it, it works real good.

Rodney is just natural, amazing. Tang Hoa same thing.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
Alan Hopkins dosent have a stroke, but what ever you want to call it, it works real good.

I agree. I don't like the way Allen Hopkins sort of pokes at the ball. He has good follow through.

Another stroke that is a weird one is Francisco Bustamante's. I just hate how his pendulum is all over the place and he is constantly raising and lowering his cue butt when doing his practice strokes. I guess it's even more of a testament to him being a fantastic player though.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barboxlegend21 said:
5 most Powerful strokes:#1.Mike Massey

#2.Jack Hines

#3.Larry Nevel

#4.Earl Strickland

#5.Cole Dickson

5 prettiest strokes:#1.Rodney Morris

#2.Wade Crane

#3.Louie Roberts

#4.Jimmy Mataya

#5.Willie Mosconi

5 ugliest strokes:#1.Dick Lane

#2.Bushwacker Nolan

#3.Mike Davis

#4.Nick Varner

The Hillbilly has a pretty powerful stroke himself.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
Some of the names such as Mosconi and the other old timers aren't with us either. The thread just asked who everyone thought has the prettiest and ugliest strokes.

Tony

i understand your point but Tony was young and left a family the old time guys were old, Tony hadnt even reached his peak. its a sore spot because some players here knew him, or in my case spoke to him many times as an aquantience only. no worries. He was a great guy and it was tragic how he passed, thats why its a sore spot. nobody should get upset, lets all let it slide in Tonys honor.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Tony knew he had an ugly stroke and ugly mechanics, but he was able to get out more than his opponents - and frankly that was all that mattered to him. IMO, Tony had the most brutal break in the history of pool, making 2-3 balls consistently and running out from anywhere. Tony was a very, very good friend of mine, I doubt that he would have been upset about any of the criticism. That's just how Tony played and it worked well for him - no excuses, no explanations, just pay the man when he's done, shake his hand and be on your way - lol. I would have never started writing or teaching about pool if it were not for Tony's encouragement. "That's a great idea, Dave! Man... you should write some of this stuff down. You should write a book." Tony said that to me about a hundred times before I finally took his advice and started typing.

I spent a lot of time with Cisero Murphy. He was my mentor. Cisero's mechanics might not have been picture perfect, but it worked for him. Cisero had perfect mastery of the cue ball and when playing straight pool he could manipulate balls out of the pack like he was possessed by the devil. His safety play was superb in all games due to the fact that he commanded that rock - it was like the balls, the table, and the cue ball had the utmost respect for Cisero. He was a joy to watch play the game.

Cisero's stroke was a side-armed sort of "J" shaped action that was hideous to see, but the balls went into the pockets like he wanted them to. Cisero had possibly the greatest mind of any pool player I have met before or since. 99% of the information I have passed along over the years come directly from the teachings I personally received from Cisero Murphy. He is in my opinion, undoubtedly the greatest pool player of my lifetime. Your opinion may differ, but he was and always will be my role model.

As far as ugly strokes go, I'd have to affectionately place the late Norbert Lang in that category as well. He had the Willie Hoppe side-arm stroke - but he was also a joy to watch play the game. He and Tony were taken from us way to soon.

Blackjack said:
Tony knew he had an ugly stroke and ugly mechanics, but he was able to get out more than his opponents - and frankly that was all that mattered to him. IMO, Tony had the most brutal break in the history of pool, making 2-3 balls consistently and running out from anywhere. Tony was a very, very good friend of mine, I doubt that he would have been upset about any of the criticism. That's just how Tony played and it worked well for him - no excuses, no explanations, just pay the man when he's done, shake his hand and be on your way - lol. I would have never started writing or teaching about pool if it were not for Tony's encouragement. "That's a great idea, Dave! Man... you should write some of this stuff down. You should write a book." Tony said that to me about a hundred times before I finally took his advice and started typing.

I spent a lot of time with Cisero Murphy. He was my mentor. Cisero's mechanics might not have been picture perfect, but it worked for him. Cisero had perfect mastery of the cue ball and when playing straight pool he could manipulate balls out of the pack like he was possessed by the devil. His safety play was superb in all games due to the fact that he commanded that rock - it was like the balls, the table, and the cue ball had the utmost respect for Cisero. He was a joy to watch play the game.

Cisero's stroke was a side-armed sort of "J" shaped action that was hideous to see, but the balls went into the pockets like he wanted them to. Cisero had possibly the greatest mind of any pool player I have met before or since. 99% of the information I have passed along over the years come directly from the teachings I personally received from Cisero Murphy. He is in my opinion, undoubtedly the greatest pool player of my lifetime. Your opinion may differ, but he was and always will be my role model.

As far as ugly strokes go, I'd have to affectionately place the late Norbert Lang in that category as well. He had the Willie Hoppe side-arm stroke - but he was also a joy to watch play the game. He and Tony were taken from us way to soon.

Blackjack,did Cisero gamble? I know he was an awesome straight pool player but I never seen nor heard of anyone matching up with him..just tournaments and exhibitions.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Tony knew he had an ugly stroke and ugly mechanics, but he was able to get out more than his opponents - and frankly that was all that mattered to him. IMO, Tony had the most brutal break in the history of pool, making 2-3 balls consistently and running out from anywhere. Tony was a very, very good friend of mine, I doubt that he would have been upset about any of the criticism. That's just how Tony played and it worked well for him - no excuses, no explanations, just pay the man when he's done, shake his hand and be on your way - lol.

Thanks Blackjack, I kind of needed that. After I posted, I remembered that Tony was taken from us back in 2000 (?) and I immediately felt bad. I removed that part of my post out of respect for him because, you're right, the man was one HELL of a player. I loved his break. They didn't call him the Hurricane for nothin'!

After reading what you wrote, I now feel better about the whole situation. I just don't want anyone thinking I was out to speak ill of the deceased.

1-pocket-player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mark Tadd belongs on the list for powerful strokes. I am referring to when Mark was in his prime.

-Andy

Last edited:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Barboxlegend21 said:
Blackjack,did Cisero gamble? I know he was an awesome straight pool player but I never seen nor heard of anyone matching up with him..just tournaments and exhibitions.

Cisero did gamble , and he didn't pick on lightwieghts either , he matched up with Luther Lassiter AT luthers pool hall for a game of 1,500 14.1 , and beat him , running over 200 a couple times. (quoting Freddy the Beard on this)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:

Great post, thanks for sharing the stories. best post I've seen in along time